Got in early Guys.

shamus

Registered Member
Hi,
Found a cheaper way to come in on a once or twice week basis. So I will try and answer some of your
problems all in one go if thats okay.

Some problems I gather regarding power feeds to the track, what I always do is lay all
track first with insulated joiners at the relative places
wiring2.jpg

then drill a small hole at each side
of the track that needs a power feed, insert a wire (Colour coded for each side)
then solder the feeder wires to them. Before all wires are connected to a control panel, I
connect all the colours together and run trains around everywhere to make sure that all is
working fine, then make a control Panel and wire it.

Woodie,
As far as using grain of wheat bulbs, I have 100 plus running at the same time from
12volt transformer, could also run these via a variable transformer to bring the lights up
slowly if required. My tranny (12v) will handle another 100 if needed.

Regarding the painting of your stock, I use dullcoat (aerosol spray) makes a grand job of it and seals
all decals afterwards.

Now about the driveshaft problem, make sure that the Universal Couplings are in line
with each other.
uv.jpg

and not at 90 degree offset. This is where the vibration occurs.

Thanks for the plug billk on my article on scratchbuilding.

Hi Jim,

For scratchbuilding materials ie Windows doors etc. Grantline have a good selection,
I use grantline windows for all my scratchbuilt structures.

http://www.walthers.com

I have also been busy, made a Waddling Fire Truck
fg2.jpg

Have fun, be back soon.
waver.gif

NARA Member #24
http://www.badger-creek.co.uk

[This message has been edited by shamus (edited 07-11-2001).]

jimnrose

Shamus,
Great hearing from you again; it's like an old friend has returned although I'm new to the hobby.
In reference to scratchbuilding, I decided to buy clapboard sheeting but fabricate the doors, windows and tin roof; because I need to duplicate a 200+ year old house that belongs to my daughter & son-in-
law. I need specific sizes and styles that aren't available thru catalogues. They are planning to add an extension and want to maintain the historic character. I drew up plans but they aren't comfortable reading drawings, plus I am planning to represent homes from my past plus important structures that are meaningful to my family. This hobby has so many facets to it. In this case I can knock off two birds with one effort.
As always, Thanks & take care, Jim

Woodie

Shamus,

Thanks for the guid for the uni-joints. They were out of line a bit, but resolved now. Also the Athearn motor had a "claw type" coupling onto the bogie that functions as a uni-joint as well. This sortof gave me 3 joints, hence the wobble and KERPUTWANG!. I jost fixed the uni-join that joins onto the "claw type" piece and all is fine now.

Thanks,

TOOT!

Glad to see you back!!!! enjoyed talking to you on the phone in England, sorry I could not get up to see the layout,definatly next time. Great Fire truck, hope you dont have any forrest fires LOL