Got boats?

Ralph

Remember...it's for fun!
Jun 18, 2002
St. Paul, MN
Visit site
Boats?!? Isn't this a train forum? Yep, sure is, but sometimes boats add a lot of scenic interest and can also be part of railroad operations. Below the "Robert H.", affectionately known locally as "The Rust Bucket", pushes up against a loaded car float to shove it into the apron at West Mill. Who else has some watercraft to share during this hot summer when it would be good to be on the lake, river, or ocean?

Attachments

• tug.jpg
    tug.jpg
    42.6 KB · Views: 326

UP SD40-2

Apr 29, 2006
Ralph:wave:, GREAT SHOT!:thumb:, and OUTSTANDING job on your water and boat!:thumb: :thumb: :D cripes Ralph, the weathering on your boat, and the waves around it look VERY real!:thumb: VERY NICELY DONE Ralph!:thumb::D THANKS, -Deano

doctorwayne

Sep 6, 2005
Canada, eh?
Nice looking scene, Ralph. I often wish that I had included a harbour area on my layout: maybe on the next one:thumb: . However, you did ask: "Got boats?". You betcha, even though they're a bit modern for my '30s layout.:)

100_5552.jpg

Wayne

Ralph

Remember...it's for fun!
Jun 18, 2002
St. Paul, MN
Visit site
Thanks guys! Wayne, U-Boats are welcome in this thread! Love 'em! :)
The water is joint compound spread over wood, rippled into waves with a wet sponge, painted, and then covered with several layers of acrylic gloss medium.

Ralph

caliban

May 3, 2006
Lower-Saxony, GERMANY
Boats yes, harbour (still) no!

Here're a few pictures of the coast guard cutter that will secure my harbour once it is build! It is based on a Kibri fire fighting boat and will get two 50cal in front of the deck house. As you can see, it is still at the ship building yard. Have three more in storage, a shrimp fishing boat, a tug and excursion boat (to become part of the SFO Blue and Gold Fleet). All are Kibri kits. They reintroduced them and sell them at low prices. Good kits, like them much!

Tobias

Attachments

• boot1 gut.jpg
    boot1 gut.jpg
    31.2 KB · Views: 300
  • boot2.jpg
    boot2.jpg
    34.4 KB · Views: 313

Pooh Bah
Mar 25, 2002
Brampton, Ontario, Canada
Visit site
Ralph: does the car float get included in operations? On the last layout where I operated, the "car float" absorbed a lot of miscellaneous cars and loads. Unfortunately, the "car float" was a set of shelves under the layout.

satokuma

Jul 8, 2002
Tualatin, OR
Love the rail barge, any chance of posting more pictures of it. That is something I still want to do.
But I do have a small harbor and stuff happens there...:D :D :D
BearCatRR_Harbor1_web.jpg

Ralph

Remember...it's for fun!
Jun 18, 2002
St. Paul, MN
Visit site
60103 said:
Ralph: does the car float get included in operations? On the last layout where I operated, the "car float" absorbed a lot of miscellaneous cars and loads. Unfortunately, the "car float" was a set of shelves under the layout.

I am using the float for operations. Since I don't have a staging yard the float serves as a way of having freight come from "off layout". It carries 10 cars that I assemble into a train and run as a local if its mixed freight or as unit train for my steel mill if its all loaded hoppers. I had thought of making it removable and having several floats as "cassettes" loaded with various cars but ended up making it permanent on the layout.

Satokuma, terrific looking harbor! Lots of great details on the boat and structures! :thumb:

Ralph

satokuma

Jul 8, 2002
Tualatin, OR
Thanks for the shots. HO? Is it built from foam or wood? I think that adding major water features, lakes, harbors, oceans...only enhance a layout...more diverse industries...

announce1 There is a Yahoo Group that is dedicated to water front modeling. Some real great shots in there files and always good information. Disclaimer: not owner or related or receiving monetary compensation...just a happy customer:D

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/waterfrontmodels/?yguid=224573591

caliban

May 3, 2006
Lower-Saxony, GERMANY
More from the "Kibri Shipbuilding Company".

The tug got a new coat of paint at the shipyard and is now steaming back home through the brownish water of the "Table River". The crew is still working on minor details and the tug also lacks a name.

Tobias
:wave:

Attachments

• DSC01907.jpg
    DSC01907.jpg
    33.8 KB · Views: 224
  • DSC01906.jpg
    DSC01906.jpg
    48.9 KB · Views: 215
  • DSC01908.jpg
    DSC01908.jpg
    48 KB · Views: 207