Good Idea and Expand on it???

John Sneed

Nov 15, 2001
Columbia, Mo
Visit site
good idea and expand on itBOb

Bob,
It looks as if your idea has taken on a life of its own. I don't have anything to add that hasn't been offered before, so I'll wait for it to take its final shape.
I hope this goes to the right place for the subject on hand

John

rockislandmike

Nov 6, 2001
Edmonton AB
dayfornight.qazam.com
Can you tell that I pledged to myself to do train stuff most of the weekend??? :)

acmegauge2.jpg

Drew1125

Jan 28, 2001
..."The Ties That Bind"? :D
No, seriously...
I've been thinking about this today...& what might work on my seriously spacially challenged RR...& I thought of what The Gauge is to me...it's a form of media...communication...& in my pre globalized, pre-internet era of 40 or so years ago...what would fit that bill?
The answer -
The Gauge
Daily News
That's right folks...a newspaper!
The only way I can work that in to my current layout is a severely compressed structure...maybe just a building flat...but I think I can include a sign of some sort, & maybe a delivery truck...
Sorry, I don't have room for any more large industries, besides the ones I'm building, & I'm kind of working on a definite plan there...but I think I can work the newspaper thing into my gritty little cityscape somehow.
If that's OK with everyone else, that's what I'll do!

Bob Collins

Feb 1, 2001
Council Bluffs, IA
Visit site
Charlie et al;

I think the whole point is to try to freelance anything you want onto your own layout.

There are a ton of good ideas out there that all of you have brought to this thread.

Here is a suggestion for you to consider that may help all of us get something on to our layout that lets everyone know you are playing the game I started here while my medications weren't working properly.

:D :D :D :D

Somehow incorporate the word Gauge into a logo. It can be a billboard, on a piece of rolling stock, a building or where ever you want it to be. You can use other words with it (Acn/me, LLC, etc), BUT the word Gauge must be projected in white. You can have any other color you want on your sign/logo/decal/etc. but for the rest of us to recognize that you are projecting it as a part of this game we seem to be playing that word must be white in colo(u)r.

Bob

billk

Jun 12, 2001
Marion, IA, USA
Bob - Re "projecting in white" - I understand that is a problem with putting white on the print-your-own decals, something to do with most printers won't print white. Of course, to print out a sign on paper, it wouldn't make much difference.

Bob Collins

Feb 1, 2001
Council Bluffs, IA
Visit site
Didn't know that about white. I told you I was challenged:D I was trying to pick a color (or maybe non-color in this case) that wouldn't clash with what people are already doing on their layouts. Black works for me as does any other color. I first thought about suggesting a combination like red and blue or green and yellow. I don't know if either of those combinations would cause anyone any heartburn.

I really like the color combination rockislandmike has used, I'm just not in love with the word Acme. That's why I suggested something like Gauge LLC as the LLC seems to me to give it a very international flavor and would not be out of place in UK, Australia or South Africa.

This whole idea has progressed a long way from the polar bear article. I have enjoyed the responses and enthusiasm shown by many of you, some who we seem to have smoked out of their "lurker" status!!

Lets keep after it and see if we can come to some sort of conclusion. I put the idea on the table and I'd really like to put the logo on something on my layout that will be a constant reminder of the fun we have had going through this exercise.

Bob

YakkoWarner

Mar 10, 2001
Orange County, NC.
www.the-gauge.com
I think charlie's comunications company is a better Idea than my railroad tie empire. I also think we should decide on an industry, have people submit logos and pick one or two and use them on whatever you want to build.

upguy had a neat idea but it would be difficult to work it onto a flat car. I read an interesting artical a few months ago about brand recognition, and type fonts. When shown only the stylized "X", nearly 75% of the people surveyed were able to recognize "Xerox." Lego, IBM and zenith were also instantly recognized by consumers from a quick glance at ONE LETTER. So, taking this into consideration, perhaps we should decide on a particular font and let each modeler come-up with thier own logo using it. I also like the Idea of one symbol to tie everything together, and RIM has a simple gauge motif that would translate easily and is simple enough to copy and paste wherever.

As for the Gauge leadership, I am modeling a post office, using USPS symbols and trademarks, as long as it is constrained to my layout and not marketed to the public for my own profit, I don't need their permission or even to notify them I am using it.

Drew1125

Jan 28, 2001
Hi Bob,
First of all, I have to comend you on a great idea, & starting one of the most interesting threads we've had going for a while!
Secondly, out of necessity, this has to be a much broader, all encompassing game than the polar bear thing. If I remember correctly, that was 6 or 7 guys who got together in person, & I believe, even modeled in the same scale, & apparently, roughly the same level of modeling skill. In other words, there was some degree of sameness to it.
As far as I'm concerned, what we have here is even better, precisely because it's so BIG! So many talents, so many scales, so many time periods, so many locations, so many imaginations!
And we have you to thank for it! (if this is somehow related to your medication, could I have the name of your doctor? :D)

C

Catt

As a moderator

As a moderator I would like to make the announcement on behalf of The Gauge, that members have full permission to use/reprint our logo/name/URL wherever they wish.

In other words guys"Let's Get Going ":D :D :D

Bob Collins

Feb 1, 2001
Council Bluffs, IA
Visit site
Hey CATT. Remember, the UPRR wasn't built in a day:D I think the discussions on this thread have been outstanding and we are a lot farther along and closer to some decisions than we may think.

Several of you have already posted some ideas and I think a couple of you have even modified your original "submissions" based on suggestions made by others.

Is it time yet that we could say start another thread that will just be the submissions of those less graphically challenged than your truly and then run it as a poll to see what folks like best. Who ever does it might want to set a time limit on submissions of 14 days or some other arbitrary number of days:rolleyes: I have no experience doing a poll on here and I'd sort of like to see the "contest in a different thread so we can continue to discuss all this here without confusing the issue.

We can then get started on our various projects and see where it takes us. Sounds like fun to me.

Bob

Bob Collins

Feb 1, 2001
Council Bluffs, IA
Visit site
MR. Collins...........wow, I haven't been called that for a long time, but my philosophy is that you can call me any thing you want except late for supper:D

So, will someone step to the plate and begin the new thread with setting up a poll and starting it off with their submission please. This is NOT meant to cause embarrassment to anyone at all, so please be creative

Bob

C

Catt

Going along with what Bob just posted .Guys don't be shy about your creative abilities we got to start some where.We ain't all pros. :D :D

roryglasgow

Jun 3, 2001
Huntsville, TX USA
web.wt.net
So how would I place one of these logos onto something? If it were a billboard or plain sign, I could just print it out and glue the paper onto the surface. But what if I want to place it on the side of a building or a freight car? I've been looking around and haven't found anything like dry or wet transfer decal paper for an inkjet printer (I've found stickers and static-cling decals).

What are y'all's plans?

-Rory

Tyson Rayles

Sep 25, 2001
Poverty Acres, North Carolina
Visit site
My 2 cents worth. I agree with Charlie. One type of industry. I think the newspaper is a good idea(course I work for a newspaper:p).But what ever the industry is it would have to be generelised(if that is a word).What I mean is not everyone has logging worked into their layout, some layouts are in the wrong time period for containers or buggy repairs, but about every layout can use a newspaper, or manufactor of some kind, same with resturants,motel/hotels,shipping co.'s etc. O.K. that was more than 2 cents, I'll shut up now.

Bob Collins

Feb 1, 2001
Council Bluffs, IA
Visit site
I think that if the general feeling is as expressed by Tyson I would suggest we think again about an earlier suggestion that was made to use it on a brewery. They are about as universal as anything I can think of right off the top of my head. I think a brewery also offers lots of opportunities to experiment with different styles of building and out buildings, not just restricted to the kits that are identified in the catalog(ue)s as breweries.

The other part of that possibility too is you can use the logo on reefers and bars and all sorts of other possibilities.

"GAUGE Our Brew Against The Rest, and You'll Discover, WE'RE THE BEST:)

Bob