Good hobby, wrong time.

3phase

Nov 12, 2004
Jacksonville, Florida
www.suprhost.com
Hey guys, it's me. I havn't been here for a while for a few reasons. My intrists have turned to radio controled cars for a few reasons. I live in florida "the sunshine state" and need as many things that keep me outdoors as possible, the layout i was working on wasn't getting anywhere and I wasn't happy with my progress and knew it was temporary anyhow because i will be moving soon, and well, work has picked up " working 14-7's for the past few weeks. The r/c cars allow me to take advantage of all that dirt at the job site and all that freshly paved parking space at the new mall i'm working at.

One day i'll have the space for a nice layout but in my tiney appartment with 4 cats it wasn't the right time for it.

I do want to thank everyone here for all the support and good ideas everyone gave me while i was working on my layout, the purpose of this site works well.

Thank you all, Russ.
"I'm not leaving, just riding in the caboose for a while.
thumbsup.gif

Matthyro

Will always be re-membered
Dec 28, 2000
Georgetown, Ontario,Canada
Russ, as long as you have a hobby to keep you mind working. R/C cars are fun. Wil yours be electric or gas powered. I still have an interest in R/C aircraft but winters here make model railroading a better choice. Have fun what ever you do.

MasonJar

It's not rocket surgery
Oct 31, 2002
Ottawa, Canada
Visit site
The R/C experience should come in handy when you come back -- to garden railroading! Keeps you outdoors, and R/C with battery power means you don't have to rely on track power... ;)

Having fun is the most important thing... :D

Andrew

Bikerpete

Feb 27, 2005
Calgary
I've been there Russ, i'm getting back into MR'ing after a break myself. ..sure glad I didn't sell of all of my "treasures" LOL.

shaygetz

May 2, 2003
www.freewebs.com
My avatar shows my other interest, live steam. Model trains are just a hobby though for me it's been mine for over 30+ years. R/C cars are great fun, I watch the folks in my neighborhood go at it all the time. Then one of them hit a curb. When he showed me the bill :eek: , I figgered I'll stick with my trains :thumb: ;) . Lil' booger cost near what it did to fix my real car :D Have fun, we'll keep a place for you in the crew lounge :wave:

2slim

Jan 16, 2004
Murray, UT
Visit site
I thought everyone would respond diffrent "in a negative mannor, like other forums"

That's why we hang out here!! :thumb: As was mentioned, a hobby is a hobby! You'll find a lot of folks have more than one. I know lots of people who only mess with trains during the colder months, you'd never catch them indoors for long in the spring and summer months. If your interested enough in both hobbys you'll keep up with all the latest news one way or another.

2slim :D :thumb:

Livesteam

Aug 26, 2004
I know how you feel, lol, I am sponsered/ a driver for a few R/C companys and every weekend im racing also almost every day i am doing something to them, :)

Livesteam

Aug 26, 2004
What class are you racing? Also i may be up in florida this summer for a race down there. they just had that big snowbird race that i didn't go too but alot of friends of mine did and won some classes.

3phase

Nov 12, 2004
Jacksonville, Florida
www.suprhost.com
I have been told the car with the 2 speed transmition will do about 70 MPH, that has a .12 motor. The other car "purple parts" has a single gear setup and will do about 45MPH and has a .15 motor. The Z-10 is hard to get parts for so I use the RS4 moste of the time.

There is a track near my house that holds races but i'm still getting the hang of how the car handles and i'm not ready to race with other people.

I do read other forums and find out as many tips as i can about how to setup the car, spring rates, tires, gears, fule, and other stuff. For example the RS4 has front and rear diffs, the racers use a front one way diff and a rear locked diff. To lock a diff just glue it and the one way diff is something i can buy at the hobby shop for about $30. Changing the diff setup will help on the small track around the turns, something i have problems with "i'm a wall rider". Another thing i'm learning is the camber and toe ajustments. I'll get it running good, race worthy one day, but for now it's just something to tinker with.

Hope you come bacl Russ!

Hi Russ:

I am like you in many ways. I have 2 expensive hobbies, model railroading and Ham Radio. When I spend $200.00 to $2200.00 for a radio. Yes I did say $2200.00 for a radio!!!!!! :eek: There's no train buying for awhile! :curse: It also goes the other way around. If I go to my local hobby store and buy that Proto 2000 with DCC and sound for $250.00......no Ham Radio gear for a while! :curse: I do manage. :thumb: Yes, I do talk to my friends on the radio (3.913MHz) and run my HO and G scale trains at the sametime! :thumb:

Andy

Livesteam

Aug 26, 2004
nice, my friend has one he races with, its a good handleing car, what engine are you putting in it?