Going to the wall

Tyson Rayles

Sep 25, 2001
Poverty Acres, North Carolina
Visit site
Elsewhere in cyberworld a contest was sponsored to built a diorama using a hydrocal wall from Downtown Deco (the sponsor). Having never worked with hydrocal castings before (other than homemade rocks) I decided to give it a try. This is the N-Scale wall section I started with:

Attachments

• Decoblank.JPG
    Decoblank.JPG
    19.9 KB · Views: 37

RailRon

Nov 23, 2002
Trimbach, Switzerland
This looks just great, Tyson!

I love both your weathering job (especially those realistic dirt runoffs below the protruding bricks) and the little details (like those crumpled up pallets). Hats off to you! :thumb: :thumb: :thumb:

One question: You say you applied the signs as decals. I always thought that decals wouldn't adhere to a Hydrocal (or plaster etc.) wall. Am I completely wrong or did you use a trick to make them cling to that wall?

Ron

PS: Your project just gave me the idea to use such a flat diorama in place of a painted picture on the wall! Hmmm... is there a free place somewhere in my apartment?? :D :D :D

Tyson Rayles

Sep 25, 2001
Poverty Acres, North Carolina
Visit site
Thx folks for the kind comments! Ron I didn't have any problems getting the decals to stick. I just slid them on the wall blotted off the excess water then applied softner so they would conform to the cracks and all. Keep in mind though you are not appling the decals to the hydrocal but to the paint on the hydrocal, don't know what would happen if you tried to put the decal on unpainted hydro.

Drew1125

Jan 28, 2001
Nice Work!

Very nicely done Tyson! :thumb:
Great weathering & scenic detail! :cool:
I might have missed whether you mentioned it, but is the fencing a commercial product, or did you make it yourself?