Going to Cali... I think so...

Sir_Prize

Mar 4, 2001
Port Charlotte,Florida
Visit site
OK... Need input!
I went and gave myself a Vacation/Christmas gift.
Come Dec 2nd to 6th I'm in L.A. area. Got a package deal and have tickets to
Disneyland/California Adventure, Knott's Berry Farm, Seaworld, and San Diago Zoo.
Now, Disney I'll see what we don't have in Orlando. The others I'll "run" through.
What SHOULD I see... I've heard there is a farmers Market that is awesome. I want to see the Pacific too (maybe even a quick hop on the Pacific coast Highway).
Is there any Rail stuff i can wedge in, anybody care to show a dude around. i'll drive...Hmmmm... I have heard that driving there is WAY different though.
Anyways... Need input! Thanks!

there is a pretty decent hobby shop just a mile or two south of Knotts, in hobby city. you can see plenty of the ocean on your drive from LA to San Diego. I-5 runs along the ocean for a while by the Camp Pendleton Marine Corps base. I am not sure about train watching in the area.

driving isnt too bad out there. I have to fight it all the time in my 18 wheeler. one third of the people run the speed limit, and everyone else goes about 80. traffic gets really bad at times. I recommend listening to KNX 1070 AM for the best traffic reports. and buy a good map.

I havent been to Knotts in many mant many moons, but they had a pretty cool railroad in there. and if you get a chance, head on up to Allied model trains in LA. everything there is way too expensive, but it's a prtetty cool store. Disneyland in Anaheim is set up pretty much like the one on Orlando, but with a few different rides. I never went to California Adventure.

Russ Bellinis

Feb 13, 2003
Lakewood, Ca.
Visit site
Knotts bought a bunch of narrow gauge equipment from the DRGW when they phased out narrow gauge in the mid-fifties. If you run North on the I-15 out of San Diago about 60 miles East of Los Angeles, it will take you right up Cajon Pass. The 15 will junction with the 215 twice. The first time stay on the 15, that is the South terminus of the 215. The second time, the 215 North terminus will end at the 15, and you are starting up into the pass. Get to the right lane and the first off ramp past the 215/15 junction will be Kenwood Ave. Get off on Kenwood and turn left at the end of the off ramp. It will take you to old route 66, and eventually to Blue Cut(5 miles or so) . At Blue Cut you'll see a picnic area to your left under some huge cottonwood trees. Less than 100 yards back down the road is a concrete wall along side the road, and just across the small canyon is a railroad bridge over a small creek that will join Cajon Creek. It is one of my favorite places to watch trains. Continue up the road and it willl end back at I-15. Get back on the I-15 North, you will pass a truck scale, and then just past the truck scales the first off ramp will be Route 138. Get off the freeway on route 138, turn left at the end of the ramp , and you are at Sullivan's curve and the Mormon Rocks. That is another great place to railfan and some great scenery for background shots. If you want to you can go on back to I15 and on up to the summit. The railroad summit will be off to the right of the freeway. It is a few miles to the right of the freeway and I've never gone up there, so I can't help you there. If you want to get back to L.A., you are only a couple of hours away. If you haven't been there before, go to http://www.socalrailfan.com/forums/index.php There are guys there who go up to Cajon all the time to railfan. The admin of that site has been accused of making Cajon his second home he is up there so much. Introduce yourself on the site and you may find a few railfans who will join you and give you a guided tour of the pass. I'd be happy to help you out in person, but my mother-in-law passed away (somewhere around 90-91, not sure of her age) and the memorial service is in Tampa on Dec 3, so I will be in your part of the country while you are out here.
East of San Diego at Campo is the San Diego Railroad Museum. It is operated by volunteers and only open on weekends. On my map, it looks like the easiest way to get there is East on I-8 almost to Imperial County and then come West on highway 94. 94 is freeway in San Diego, but if you take 94 all the way East, it looks like it is a winding mountain road East of San Diego for quite a ways. If you take the !-5 North out of Los Angeles to Magic Mountain (a Six Flags theme park North of LA), just past Magic Mountain, go West on Highway 126 to the town of Filmore. There is a passenger train pulled by f-units that runs from Fillmore to Santa Paula and back on an old Southern Pacific branch line. Again I'm not sure if it runs everyday or just weekends. Whatever hotel you stay in will probably have flyers with the Disneyland, Knotts Berry Farm, and other tourist attraction flyers in the lobby. I'm sure I've given you more than you can possibly do in your short stay here in So Cal, but I figured to give you choices.

YakkoWarner

Mar 10, 2001
Orange County, NC.
www.the-gauge.com
Of the theme parks listed, the San Diego Zoo is the most interesting. Although I would recomend the Wild Animal Park above that. Disneyland, on a weekend or holiday is not worth it. Go on a Tuesday or Wednesday if you can. SeaWorld and the San Diego zoo are in San Diego, about a 90 minute drive from south Orange County and about 2 hours from Disneyland. The 5 runs along the coast most of the way between Orange County and San Diego. Oceanside is also between SD and the OC, it's a great place to stop for dinner overlooking the ocean.

PCH (Pacific Coast Highway) is difficult to find in the LA basin. You have to go north into Ventura county and then about 50 or 60 miles west (Yes you can go nearly one hundred miles west of Los Angeles before you turn north on the California coast.) The ocean is accessable for viewing nearly anywhere though and Seal Beach, Laguna or Huntington offer great beach access areas. Laguna being the most picturesque, Huntington offering the best surfing.

Be warned that the temperatures this time of year rarely get out of the lower 70s during the day and fall as low as the 50s at night. Be sure you bring the proper protective clothing.

Sir_Prize

Mar 4, 2001
Port Charlotte,Florida
Visit site
Papa Bear-
Thanks. was think'n of that place; was gonna hit my N Gauge Mags on the location.

Trainworm-
Thanks for another shop reference. Gotta see the "Hollywood" Marines, Pop was at at Lajurne himself. Drive and radio tips, cool. thanks.

Russ-
Sorry to hear. Comfort to all. You familiar wth the area your headed? I could help.
After all, you've given me more then a travel Agent did.

Yakko-
Surfing! Me, I know what's in that water... No thanks! thanks for the hints and such, though.

Looks like Only my Cowboy hat and boots will peg me as a Tourist with ya'lls tips and directions. SWEET!

Russ Bellinis

Feb 13, 2003
Lakewood, Ca.
Visit site
Sir_Prize,
Thanks for the offer. My wife's relatives, like all New Yorkers, have moved to Florida. Somehow I got her to move out to Cali with me, so we'll be spending the weekend with relatives. I should have mentioned that the San Diego Model Railroad Museum is located near the San Diego Zoo in Balboa Park. In fact there is a short trail from the Zoo parking lot that leads to the Museums, but it is better to drive around to the museum parking lots to visit the museums. There is an area about the size of a large shopping mall in Balboa Park where they have about 30 museums I think, but I'm not sure of the number. If you just want to see the Model Railroad museum, admission is $5.00. If you would like to go through some of the other museums, go to the admission window at the Science Museum and you can buy a ticket book that will get you into all of the museums. If you try to go to more than a couple of museums at $5.00 each it gets very expensive. I think the ticket book was $13.00 tha last time I was there. The Model Railroad Museum is in the basement below the San Diego Sports Hall Of Fame. I think I have given you enough places to visit to take twice as much time as you have available to you here in So. Cal., but if you work out an itinerary and have a day that is free, there are a couple of more places to see.

Sir_Prize

Mar 4, 2001
Port Charlotte,Florida
Visit site
Russ-
Yup, down this far South you are back up North. My old boss (here in town) went to the same schools my parents did (10yrs before them), outside Cleveland, OH. My current co-worker is from Philly. Thanks for the museum tips. Thought I had a itinerary set, but with ya'lls tips its changing.

ausien

Sep 14, 2004
Sydney, Austrailia
cant help you with any sujestions as 1, I dont know where these places are,( but if you come to sydney anytime,, there I may be able to help you out.) and 2 your making me jellouse... all I can do is wish you the very best time you could have, and stay safe....steve

Russ Bellinis

Feb 13, 2003
Lakewood, Ca.
Visit site
I ran out of time before I finished my previous reply. I wanted to mention that the Disney California Adventure is different than anything in Florida, but I don't know if it is enough there to cover an entire day. Disneyland is about the same as the Majic Kingdom in Florida, the difference is that they don't have as much property here as Florida and they don't have the high water table, so the Disneyland Park here goes 4-5 stories underground. The Park is more compact so you don't have to walk so much to see it all.

Sir_Prize

Mar 4, 2001
Port Charlotte,Florida
Visit site
Russ-
my feet like knowing that! I cruised D-lands website, there are a couple things DW doesn't have that I was gonna take in. The Cali place look interesting, agree on the not full day. I was gonna hit DL on Friday after hitting the hotel, then wrap it up Monday after Cali Adventure.
Hit the site you mentioned. Had a couple replies, thought I'd put up some doughnuts as a reward for help and guided tour, of sorts.

Ausien-
Your neck of this planet has been on my mind for sometime to trip through. I once thought of trying to get on a Road Train as a spotter; But that's another thread. I am thinking of trying to get there though.

Russ Bellinis

Feb 13, 2003
Lakewood, Ca.
Visit site
Sir_Prize, check to see if you can get a park jumper pass for one day. Unless you have children with you who won't care if everything at D'land is the same as at D'world. You could see what you want to see at Disnayland and then go across to the Cali Adventure. Disneyworld in Fl. doesn't offer a 1 day park jumper pass, but I think Disneyland does out here. I'm not sure if they offer a two day pass or not, or what the difference in price would be. I know the passes are different out here than Florida because the park is smaller and really only has two parks plus downtown Disney.

Russ Bellinis

Feb 13, 2003
Lakewood, Ca.
Visit site
Sir Prize, I saw your post on the So Cal Railfans site. I suggested on there that you post your Cajon Pass itinerary on the Cajon Pass board because some of the old timers may not check into the New Members forum. I'm just putting this suggestion out here in case you see this before you go back to the So Cal board. I can't imagine that you would have any trouble finding So Cal railfans to go to Cajon with on a Saturday.

Russ Bellinis

Feb 13, 2003
Lakewood, Ca.
Visit site
Ken, are you back from Cali? Just curious how your trip went. We got back from Fla on Monday. I think you were just in time for Cajon. I noticed this morning that our mountains are now covered with snow. When the mountains are snow covered, the temperature of the wind down through Cajon gets really cold, although many of the local railfans look forward to the possibility of getting some snow shots in the pass. I don't think the snow got that low, yet. I think it is still above 6000 feet.

Sir_Prize

Mar 4, 2001
Port Charlotte,Florida
Visit site
Yup, Got back on Tuesday... 'round 8:30 est.
Had a good time, but it was little time.
Next go 'round I'm going for nine days (the 2 extra are for the flying days).
I'll see 'bout some of the better shots in a day or two...
Busy with helping at the house.