Going Merry from paper replika

terrinecold

Apr 15, 2012
nice, I downloaded the model. I'll follow your advice I think. I'll probably do a bit more war 40k stuff first and I have to get back to my little ships but I am afraid that redoing the same model again at this stage will most likely be a bit to much even if I am pretty sure I would be able to build it much nicer. So I guess I'll just do my best on this one and will go to another model afterward.

vbsargent

Apr 16, 2008
MD, USA
I feel the same way about immediately redoing a project. Like you, terrincold, I am also a beginner, but I find that the thought of doing another Jedi ETA2 after my current build(s) are done makes me shudder something awful!

Z

Zathros

As long as you enjoy what you are doing, having a nice group of people with common interests is nice, but you personal enrichment is what counts. Of course, you get the own all these objects, and holding something in your hands is way better than a picture. It gives an appreciation that can't be had otherwise. :)

AshenOne

Dec 26, 2011
USA
I like watching things come together.
@Zathros-That is an excellent idea! I'm trying to make some joints, and this would work very good.

terrinecold

Apr 15, 2012
some progress, done with the deck flooring and the deckhouse. One stair is done and whatever is the name of the white parts on the top of the hull. Still a long way to go

Attachments

• GM deck house.jpg
    GM deck house.jpg
    134.7 KB · Views: 28
Z

Zathros

I sat straddled, and painted many a gunwale before Google or the internet existed, but it is good to search terms and keep the terminology alive. Especially on a sailboat when some times you will hear, "Loosen that rope thingy and wrap that other rope around that thing on the deck. Such people are instantly throw overboard, if not physically, then mentally! The link below has some really great and easy lessons on all aspects of sailing. it also has a section on making knots that is great! :)

http://www.boatinginstruction.net/boatinginstruction01.php

SailboatParts.gif

terrinecold

Apr 15, 2012
I can sail small boats (like the one you are showing or bigger like a hobby cat) but I don't know the english vocabulary for sailing terms.

Z

Zathros

I don't know where you are from but it is nice to know you are a fellow sailor. I used to sail a 10 meter Pearson, all the way down to Sunfish's no boat too big or too small when it comes to sailing fun! :)

Z

Zathros

Sweet, You get to see the Eiffel Tower? I saw a picture of what looked like a collapsed Eiffel tower, and got worried! The I realized it was in England!:confused:

AP12051108475.jpg

terrinecold

Apr 15, 2012
finished assembling the figure head, still need to do more parts before I can attach it to the ship.

Attachments

• GM figurehead.jpg
    GM figurehead.jpg
    78 KB · Views: 29

terrinecold

Apr 15, 2012
back from 5 days rock climbing I have fixed the figure head and done the white decorative thingy on between the figure head and the cannon

Attachments

• GM figure de proue installe.jpg
    GM figure de proue installe.jpg
    127.2 KB · Views: 29

terrinecold

Apr 15, 2012
OK after the corvette interlude and a couple days with no modeling, I am back on the "Going merry"
I am now working on the railings of the fore and aft castle and in particular I started with the decorative end piece of those railing. This is piece 27 there are 4 of them. Here are a few pictures of the making of those parts (I am starting to be very familiar with how to do this kind of parts which gave me a lot of trouble when I started with the stand initially).
As you can see I am done with 3 out of the 4 and expect to finish the fourth tonight. I think I need to do the railing itself before I can install them on the ship.

Attachments

• IMG_0593.jpg
    IMG_0593.jpg
    94.7 KB · Views: 23
  • IMG_0595.jpg
    IMG_0595.jpg
    85.4 KB · Views: 26
  • IMG_0596.jpg
    IMG_0596.jpg
    92.6 KB · Views: 24

terrinecold

Apr 15, 2012
another update, now since the end of this WE I am done with part 2. So I will now start part 3 the rigging

Attachments

• GM part 2.jpg
    GM part 2.jpg
    164 KB · Views: 27