Go have a look at a very well done B-17 by Tonino!

Discussion in 'Aircraft & Aviation' started by Leif Oh, Aug 28, 2004.

1. Leif Oh

Leif Oh Member

All you aircraft lovers would do well to visit the personal gallery of Tonino. He has published several photos of a beautifully made B-17, with custom made (by Tonino) cockpit instruments, and guns.

[​IMG]

These pictures made me very curious about what make this model is, and its scale (I'm thinking 1/33 of course, but you never know, somehow it looks a bit larger).

Tonino (who is from San Marino) very graciously promises to provide interested parties with the parts he's made himself, and says that he will also post a pdf of the details of the beautiful wheels he made from unsanded (yes!) layers of 0.5 mm. Very effective, judging from his picture.

Tonino, please get back with details about your model. It seems a very attractive object for slight recolouring. The olive drab is very much like what Fly Model were using some ten years ago, and it could easily be amended. Also, the panel lines could easily be toned down, and the neutral grey of the underside amended. Something surely could be done with the engines as well. I recognize the flat, two-tiered, row from the B-24 Liberator, also by Fly Model.

A most impressive build, and an interesting subject!

Leif Oh.
  2. Texman

Texman Guest

As stated in his pic descriptions, it is indeed, Fly Model.

Ray
  3. Leif Oh

Leif Oh Member

Oops! Silly me. That hurt, although I wasn't even wearing spurs. I WAS looking, but obviously too eagerly. OK, so now we know that.

Is that model still available, Tonino? And is it, by any chance, a Tadeusz Grzelczak design? I'm growing rather fond of that gentleman's work. - Leif
  4. shoki2000

shoki2000 Active Member

It is Tadeusz Grzelczak's design.
    Model however is rather hard to get...........
  5. Gil

Gil Active Member

Leif,

Tonino does beautiful work crafting an impressive model.

Your post triggered and interesting thought. I have the GPM B-17 and was thinking that it would look great in an all aluminum skin...., yes, I realize that I've become aluminum demented but just think of all the panel lines and rivet details not to mention the specular reflections from the "real aluminum" surface. The GPM has printed "aluminum" which looks good but isn't the same as the real aluminum. The process would consist of modifying the surface skin by scanning it, reversing (turn inside out) and print on the "back" side of the card. This would allow application of foil on the front of the card while leaving the rivet line "avenues" on the back side. Rivet detail is easily done from the back side with a "pounce tool". Panel lines being cut with a dull Olfa roller blade betwen the rivet lines on the front side. Worth thinking about as a new modeling technique.

Need to look into whether inkjet tatoo decals can be used to transfer artwork to aluminum to finish the applied paint detail.

Best regards, Gil
  6. jrts

jrts Active Member

Hi all

Gil you are not off your topper, I have three models that would look great in foil paper/card and I have not done them for the reason when printed Iam wasting my time as they just don't look like the real thing. Its hard to get that shine to paper with just print.

I have lots of books on this aircraft and have not gone near it as it would not do the plane justice in print alone.

Love the model though its a work of art and Iam green as I have no chance of getting near that standard :shock:

Regards

Rob
  7. Gil

Gil Active Member

Rob,

I dusted off my copy of GPM's B-17 and started surveying it regarding scannig it in. I'm very near a commitment to start this project just to see how it will all work out. Usually what you have in mind isn't quite what the finished job ends up as...., I've done enough experiments to verify that the method works in principle on card stock and can be effectively embossed with detail. Now to put it all togehter in the form of a model. Just a tad more formidable than simple one-off experiments...., no time like the present.

Best regards, Gil

P.S. Note that this will use heavy use of the scanner. That's one way of getting it right without regrets.
  8. bfam4t6

bfam4t6 Member

I personally love B-17s. They are by far my favorite bomber and definitely one of my overall favorites. Luckily I was able to find this kit on ebay a few months ago and I think I ended up running the bid up to $45 but ended up getting it. I haven't started building it yet because I didn't feel that my current skills were up to the challenge, and considering the rareness and cost I did not want to mess it up. Fortunetly I can now encorporate Torino's wonderful details to my kit. The redesigened cockpit is amazing, and just to give you guys an idea here is a pic of the original.

[​IMG]

Compared to Torino's work it's nothing! Great looking model!
  9. Leif Oh

Leif Oh Member

Tonino's work, and the comments from the rest of you guys, gives me courage to continue thinking about revamping the Liberator. I always knew it could be a supermodel, and the basic Grzelczak design really is very nice, much like the photo above.

A lot of those hand-drawn details could actually be made into separate layers of cut-out details, to glue on.

Leif
  10. bfam4t6

bfam4t6 Member

Just to clarify, are the .pdf add-ons created by Tonino going to be added to the parts bin?
  11. Gil

Gil Active Member

Dustin,

The page you show is the GPM kit that I have. Catalogue Nr Kat. 016 , ISSN 1428-4618, Flying Fortress B-17 G. The release of this was 7' 2004. I don't remember who I bought it from now but it is available.

The cockpit is printed in black lines and near lime green background. Attached are two photographs from "The Great Book of World War II Airplanes", Bonanza Books which contains the great illustrator Rikyu Wantanabe's work. The first is the nose gunner/bombadier's position and the second is a cockpit view. The maor colors are khaki, flat black and chromate green. It's easy to understand Tonino's motivation for the cockpit redesign.

Best regards, Gil
  12. bfam4t6

bfam4t6 Member

Gil, the kit I have is the Fly Model kit. That is where the picture that I took of the cockpit page is from. Here is the cover just to clarify that it is indeed Fly Model. I also circled the area that was shown in my last photo.

[​IMG]
  13. shoki2000

shoki2000 Active Member

Both GPM and FlyModel B-17 were designed by Tadeusz Grzelczak. It basically is the same kit but with different color schemes.
  14. bfam4t6

bfam4t6 Member

That I did not know Micheal. I guess I stand corrected because the cockpit page is essentially both kits. :lol: So Gil yes, in a way I guess I did post a pic of you GPM kit.
  15. Gil

Gil Active Member

Dustin,

Thanks for posting the page. I got out the GPM and realized that even the part numbers matched. This means that without color they must be the same or nearly the same design.

Thanks Michael for the clarifying information.

Leif, is Tonino going to post the cockpit fixes in the parts bin?

Best regards, Gil
  16. Leif Oh

Leif Oh Member

I am writing Tonino now, to inform him about this thread, which may have gone unnoticed by him. In his comments he says that he's going to post the tyre parts, but that the cockpit parts maybe to much of a file (3 meg) to post online (I'd think it was OK, but I don't know about procedures and website economy).

In any case, he says he will gladly send it to any one wishing to have it.

Anyways, I guess we'll have to look forward to what Tonino has to say for himself. (Meanwhile, see his comments in the album).

Gil, those were some really useful pictures!

Leif
  17. Gil

Gil Active Member

Leif,

I'll go through my archives and see if I have any other material. I was looking through the model collection and discovered that I too have a copy of the Fly Model version! A friend of mine goes to swap meets and flea markets looking for plastic models and picks up card models for practically nothing or sometimes they're thrown in as a deal sweetner. He usually just gives them to me as he considers them useless...., an attitude which I have habitually reinforced for some reason. Just that I remember a B-24 and can't seem to find it now....,

Best regards, Gil
  18. Gil

Gil Active Member

19. Tonino

Tonino Member

B17 files

Hi all, excuse me for my absence from this thread. I am new to the group and still not well practiced in "where to look" and "what to do" to partecipate in discussions :oops: (I was notified of this thread by Leif Oh...)
    I am definitely amazed of the number of people talking about my B17 cockpit! :shock:
    Really, after having looked around albums of other guys, I was afraid of posting my photos, didn' think they could interests someone. So I am very happy to share with you my custom pieces. I only would like to keep them somewhat smaller....
    I'll tell you why they are so big, explaining how I did the work.
    I started scanning the original parts I wanted to modify (all the interiors, they was all light grey - alluminium imitation?). Imported them in Corel PhotoPaint to recolor all in a simil-interior green (it's ever difficult to obtain in printed form the color you see on the monitor). I saved a lot of cuttings in separate PhotoPaint files and then imported all them in CorelDraw to add the original redesigned parts (instruments, radios, dashboard, guns etc.) Now I have vectorial files (that should be little for dimension) containing also bitmaps that make them groove a lot in size. I don't know how to make them smaller. Perhaps I can try to export in JPG the repainted parts and leave in PDF only the newly designed parts. I'll try to send the BIG files to those who requested them to me (wait only few hours... now I haven't files with me). Then, if I'll be able to reduce slightly the files in dimension, I'll post them in parts bin.
    By the way, someone can tell me what are the limit size for files posted there?
    :?:
  20. jrts

jrts Active Member

Tonino

It would be a crime not to show off a work of art like this :shock:

We all look forward to lots more of your work soon as possible!!

Regards

Rob