Gluing metal to wood??

n-scaler-dude

Nov 22, 2002
Lebanon, MO
Visit site
As some of you may know from reading the N-gauge section here, I am pretty new to all this stuff (actually a born-again model RR'er from my younger days) so I've got questions up the wazoo.

I've never actually tried scratchbuilding anything before so I thought I'd give it a try. I picked what I thought would be a simple structure...a water tower, for a first project.

The plan was from an old magazine I have, and was drawn for HO scale. The author's example was built in O gauge. My problem is that I am doing N gauge and have to compromise on some of the fine details.

Well, the main construction has been going pretty good, with me learning some things along the way. Everything so far has been made of either wood paper, or cardstock, so gluing the parts together isn't an issue. But, now I am down to the details and need to start using materials other than those mentined.

What is the best adhesive for gluing metal to wood, plastic to wood, or plastic to metal??

Second question - What can be used to make an N-scale ladder? Are there accessories available like that for N??

C

Catt

You can use CA (crazy glue) to join metal and plastic to wood.There is N scale ladder stock available.Plastruct (sp) makes it as well as several other companies.

About those questions up your wazoo ,might I suggest you store them some place less aromatic? :D :D

Vic

Feb 1, 2002
Columbus GA
Visit site
I may have mentioned this before on another thread but I have altogether given up on using that expensive CA glue from the hobby shop. I have found that Duro Super Glue Gel will stick anything to anything. Because its a gel you can use just tiny amounts of it applied with a pin or needle and don't have to worry about it running where ever you don't want it. Its not exactly instant though...may take 15-20 seconds to set and its cheap...2 two gram tubes for under $2. You can get it at Wal Mart, K Mart, Lowes or Home Depot.

Lighthorseman

Jul 24, 2002
Out in the sticks
Visit site
Wow! Superglue Gel!

What a good idea. I have never gotten any CA / Superglue as I've been worried about gluing myself to who-knows-what as the liquid runs all over everything and everyone. Gel, however, would be a different story. I'll be on the lookout for some.

Yet another handy tip from the folks at the Gauge. Thanks!:) :)

Vic

Feb 1, 2002
Columbus GA
Visit site
Originally posted by MasonJar

CAn you get an accelerator for this type of glue (gel)??

Andrew

Hi Andrew, Yes any accelrator will work with it. If you are going to use that spread the glue very thin because unlike the thin watery stuff it tends to expand when accelerated.

jon-monon

Aug 15, 2002
Cobblers Knob, IN
www.2guyzandsumtrains.com
Re: Wow! Superglue Gel!

Originally posted by Lighthorseman
What a good idea. I have never gotten any CA / Superglue as I've been worried about gluing myself to who-knows-what as the liquid runs all over everything and everyone. Gel, however, would be a different story. I'll be on the lookout for some.

Yet another handy tip from the folks at the Gauge. Thanks!:) :)

Fear not, you will get used to having one large finger instead of five smaller individual fingers. There are a lot of advantages. It takes less engery to fly the bird. After you fly the bird, you can say you were just waving. If you wife sees you waving at Danish Models, you can say you were flying the bird. One big finger is stronger than 5 flimsy ones. You get to take a little of you layout whereever you go. Etc., etc.

I believe acetone will release CA. Of course, it also disolves plastic. It doesn't do much to plastic if left undisturbed, but it will fuse plastic to plastic.

I have been using elmers, simialr price, but carried by Menards.

Goattee

Feb 12, 2004
Walls, MS
Visit site
SAFTY

Picture this. Day before Prom, about 2pm. My daughter is gluing on false nails and all is going well. She stops to answer the phone and then returns to the chore at hand. She squeezes the tube to apply some to a nail only the tube has dried at the point and squeezing harder it bursts at the seam in the tube and squirts in her eye. 8 hours at the emergency room and the eye is OK less the lashes of course. Ice bags over night and new eye lashes with tons of make-up and she made it to the prom. Sense then I have outlawed Super glue.

The moral of this story for all is to make sure you wear eye protection when you use Super glue.

roryglasgow

Jun 3, 2001
Huntsville, TX USA
web.wt.net
I once accidentally glued three fingers and the thumb of my left hand all together when I squeezed a tube of CA too hard. Fortunately, acetone-based nail polish remover dissolved the glue pretty easily.

I've read about a new type of adhesive called Cyanopoxy that purportedly glues nearly anything to nearly anything (including metal to wood). It seems to be getting good reviews from the model railroading community. I can't personally vouch for its effectiveness, but it might be worth a look.

http://www.americansteel.net/coolchem/

Climax1880

Feb 13, 2004
At the edge of the woods
Visit site
Gluing things

Hey Guys:
I couldn't agree more about super glue, Good stuff but it can be dangerous. In my own LHS they stock de-bonder right next to the glues in the case. Because most of what I scratchbuild is wood, I use Elmer's. Safe and good.
Vic, I will try some of that Duro stuff though. Sounds like what I need. The only thing about CA is that they haven't found the proper container for it yet and if you don't clean it up after each use guess what??? I've added a few bottles to the trash.

Anyway, thanks for all the info on the rock molds. I will be moving into that stage this afternoon or tomorrow.

Have a great day.

JR

F

Fred_M

Our dollar stores (dollar general) have superglue gel 2 tubes for a $1. It works well for wood, metal, plastic. I avoid using accelerators on it as accelerator weaken CA gel joints and turn it white. Just wear glasses when using. Fingers and other things can also be debonded with ice. CA looses strength big time when cold, so also keep you stuff warm in the winter. Also you can use epoxy and silicone glues for these joints. N scale ladders are sold as scratch build supplies by hobby shops or can be ordered from walthers. I have made HO ladders from brass and solder but it's hard in HO. Robin can probally cut one out of cerial box with a snap blade knife.:) , but not me. And hey neighbor from Lebanon. FRED

Pooh Bah
Mar 25, 2002
Brampton, Ontario, Canada
Visit site
I've used Walthers's Goo (now Hobsco, apparenly) for wood to metal joints. Some of mine are over 40 years old. I started using it joining cast metal ends to wooden floors. It isn't exactly what you want for for really fine joints as it's a thick rubbery stuff.
Digression: Does anyone remember an old cartoon called "the man who broke the tube"? it shows the warning on the glue tube, and the final panel has him glued to everything in the house.

Matthyro

Will always be re-membered
Dec 28, 2000
Georgetown, Ontario,Canada
The only glue I have used to join metal to wood is 5 minute epoxy. Yes you have to mix the 2 part stuff and it does take the 5 minutes to hold but it sure is strong. It also stinks till it cures.
I guess I am old fashioned and have never tried that CA stuff.
Thats a neat link Fuego

Dan Vincent

Aug 14, 2003
Sanford, FL
Visit site
Whenever I work with CA I always coat my fingers with dish soap. The CA will never stick to it. Just a couple of drops is enough, just rub your fingers together to spread it around.

I also use this trick when working on car or motorcycle engines. After you get your hands all greasy you just rinse off the soap under hot water and there is no mess.

spitfire

Jul 28, 2002
Toronto, Canada
www.parkdaleyard.com
Try this

One trick when getting super glue on fingers is this, based on the fact that the 2 things to be glued must be undisturbed for at least 5 seconds to set. At the instant of contact with the glue, move your fingers rapidly - it won't stick!

Later on, you can do like I do and kind of gnaw the glue off while watching tv or in the chatroom!

:rolleyes: Val

F

Fred_M

An old trick is to coat your finger tips with CA and let it set. You then leave no fingerprints. FRED