Glue vs Pins

Why me

Mar 29, 2004
london uk
Visit site
Hi guys just a quick question can i glue my track down when im ready rather than pin it if so hows the best way to it please thanks inadvance.mike :thumb:

PS the reason i asks this as a MS suffer my eyesight is getting worse and most of my old layou the tracks been hit by the hammer and the track pins knock in to far just hoping to make my life easier to glue

Will_annand

Jan 12, 2004
Huntsville, Ontario
www.muskokacomputes.com
I work in N Scale. My benchwork consists of 1x3s, I have glued 2" blue foam over that (LePage's White Glue full strength).

Then drew the center lines for the track. Glued the cork down (LePage's White Glue full strength).

Then placed glued the track down (light application of LePage's White Glue full strength), then pined the track and sometimes put weights (bottles of ballast) on the track to ensure tight bond.

Next I will be gluing the ballast on, (LePage's White Glue NOT strength). I will be using "wet" water and white glue in a 50-50 mix.

Hope this helps.

Why me

Mar 29, 2004
london uk
Visit site
Hi will thank for the info i was hopping it could be done to make life easier for me i might stand a chance with the new layout of the locos staying on the track once again thank you for the help.mike

F

Fred_M

I agree with lliW Mike. That works great if you let it dry for a day (or two in London hehe) before you run trains on it to allow the glue to dry. Fred

yellowlynn

Jul 7, 2001
Whitehouse, Tx USA
Visit site
glue

Mike, I use clear silicone calk. Lay a small bead down the line for the middle of the track. Spread it out thin with your finger (or whatever), then set the track in place. It is sticky enough to hold it in place till it dries. On curves, pin it in place for a couple hour and that's it.

Lynn

Auzze

Jan 13, 2005
HI..

I use crep tape. it's a very thin double sided tape.
Frist I use it for my cork and then the track. It's great if you wish to rip up some track and re-lay. Once you are done and happy, add the ballast.

Stuart :thumb:

Mike P

Jan 10, 2005
Murrysville, PA
I have used the rail bed that kind of looks like.....black top???? I do not remember the nane of the stuff but I will tell you that it stuck to the plywood top like mad and I gently pressed the track into that stuff amd man I tried about a month later to take up a piece or track segment it was stuck fast!
When I do my second layout I plan on using that stuff again. It came in a large roll in a box and it was a bit tackie, I thought oh maybe it will not adhear to the plywood and surely not to the track, I was dead wrong.