Glue Gun

Discussion in 'Tips, Tutorials & Tools' started by Mike G., Jan 15, 2007.

1. Mike G.

Mike G. New Member

Does anyone use a hot glue gun for any part of their builds and, if so, for what do you use it? Thanks.

Mike
  2. David H

David H Member

I have been thinking about buying one too. But I cannot think of a good reason to spend the few ££ or $$ it costs.

Fiddlers Green recomend one to attach their B52's tail.

Perhaps attaching landing gera or masts and the like would be a good use? How quickly does the hot glue go off?

D
  3. Mike G.

Mike G. New Member

David,

When you ask how fast does the glue "go off" are you referring to the shelf life of the glue, how quickly it sets up or how fast it cools and becomes ineffective?

Mike
  4. ekuth

ekuth Guest

I'm using my hot glue gun ALOT with my Giganta Galactica build, but only to secure LED's and wiring. Other than that, I'm a white glue/cryanoacetate guy. 8)
  5. David H

David H Member

Hi Mike,

I mean how quickly does it grab? Is it instant? Or as near as makes no difference or does it run.

Also I see there are lots of different glue sticks available too experiment with... ah life's rich tapestry.

Best

D
  6. Mike G.

Mike G. New Member

David,

The glue grabs almost instantly so there isn't a lot of time to reposition. There are two main hot glues now, high temperature and low temp. I use low temp because there is a lot less chance of burning fingers with it but it does set up extremely fast. I use a mini low temp gun with general purpose low temp glue sticks. Of course with any hot glue, you have to deal with glue "strings" but they remove easily as does misplaced glue if you get to it within a minute or so. I have only used the gun for tacking purposes or very small parts. I use traditional wood glue for everything else in the build. Mini low temp guns are very inexpensive and so are the sticks. You can give them a try without investing a lot of money. If you don't like them for modeling, they are handy for many other things as well. And if you really want convenience, you can get a dual temp gun which handles both high and low temp glue sticks. High temp glue is great for many quick repairs. You can even get high temp sticks for woodwork. Have fun!

Mike
  7. David H

David H Member

I currently use white glue, UHU (gel), "super glues" PritStick, 5 minute epoxy, solder, spraymount, HMG (if I can get some), balsa cement and friction! Oh yes my balsa bashing days taught me friction's value when gravity and mother earth have a hand!

As you say a glue gun will not break the bank and I can see many family uses. Next time I am in the local bargin store I will grab one...

D
  8. cgutzmer

cgutzmer Guest

OK David - I just have to ask. What kinds of paper models are you soldering? I would like to see that! :D
    Chris
  9. David H

David H Member

HA ha!

Solder on the wire parts!

But only if I really feel in the mood. The 5 minute epoxy is a better bet.

Anyone tried prayer?

D