Glue and laser printing

Discussion in 'Tools of the Trade' started by cgutzmer, Apr 19, 2007.

1. cgutzmer

cgutzmer Guest

Hey all!
    I got permission from Roman over at digital navy to distribute his freebies at the upcoming show. he told me to make sure that I let people know about the problems with certain types of glue and laser printing. I have only used Aileens and Elmers and never knew about a problem with this. Anyone have any pointers?
    Thanks
    Chris
  2. cgutzmer

cgutzmer Guest

Hey all!
    I got permission from Roman over at digital navy to distribute his freebies at the upcoming show. he told me to make sure that I let people know about the problems with certain types of glue and laser printing. I have only used Aileens and Elmers and never knew about a problem with this. Anyone have any pointers?
    Thanks
    Chris
  3. nx13688

nx13688 Member

Yeah, laser toner is basically wax, so PVA glues like Elmer's don't stick too well. That's why I've switched to uncolored tabs generally - I like to have my stuff printed on the fancy laser printers at Kinko's.
  4. nx13688

nx13688 Member

Yeah, laser toner is basically wax, so PVA glues like Elmer's don't stick too well. That's why I've switched to uncolored tabs generally - I like to have my stuff printed on the fancy laser printers at Kinko's.
  5. cgutzmer

cgutzmer Guest

Oh hey! I ahve never used a colored tab so I suppose thats why I never noticed it. I like to get rid of those pesky tabs whenever possible anyway :)
    thanks!
    Chris
  6. cgutzmer

cgutzmer Guest

Oh hey! I ahve never used a colored tab so I suppose thats why I never noticed it. I like to get rid of those pesky tabs whenever possible anyway :)
    thanks!
    Chris
  7. BARX2

BARX2 Member

Laser ink also has a tendency to crack and flake where the paper is bent at a sharp angle. It can really ruin the look of a model. It needs to be sprayed with clear acrylic paint before beginning to cut and fold. Even though you spray it, the colors may still flake. I have a love/hate affair with laser printed models. The colors looks beautiful, but building the models can be frustrating when the color flakes off. You try to color the areas with colored pencils, paints, markers, etc., but it doesn't always come out looking great.
  8. BARX2

BARX2 Member

Laser ink also has a tendency to crack and flake where the paper is bent at a sharp angle. It can really ruin the look of a model. It needs to be sprayed with clear acrylic paint before beginning to cut and fold. Even though you spray it, the colors may still flake. I have a love/hate affair with laser printed models. The colors looks beautiful, but building the models can be frustrating when the color flakes off. You try to color the areas with colored pencils, paints, markers, etc., but it doesn't always come out looking great.
  9. mbauer

mbauer Cardstock Model designer

I was told by a professional printing company (not a copy center like kinkos) that the ink is actually plastic that is melted by the laser. So almost any printing done on a laser printer will flake off when doing sharp bends.

From what I've read here and on other sites, about 80% true for most laser printers. Some I've heard don't have this problem.

Mike
  10. mbauer

mbauer Cardstock Model designer

I was told by a professional printing company (not a copy center like kinkos) that the ink is actually plastic that is melted by the laser. So almost any printing done on a laser printer will flake off when doing sharp bends.

From what I've read here and on other sites, about 80% true for most laser printers. Some I've heard don't have this problem.

Mike
  11. gnAsher

gnAsher Member

Yep, I've had the same problem with my Canon A320 printed on the ahem!:oops: office laser printer. The nose parts, where the card is bent the tightest, are all spotty. The rest of the fuselage is ok though. It's a pity cos the model is a very elegent black. Now it looks like it flew through a sand storm! :) I wonder if printing the nose again on an ink jet would improve things, but then colour registration and possible size differences become a problem. I'll just touch up with a felt tip!

I've not had any problems with the glue tabs, except that they need a little extra pressure and more cure time. I also notice my finger tips are more grimy. Perhaps the ink dust flaking off the tab is preventing a good bond is the cause. A quick clean of the tab before gluing should reduce the problem. However, like Chris I've stopped using the printed tabs on the advise of forum members (thanks guys!) so it's no longer a problem for me!:grin:
  12. gnAsher

gnAsher Member

Yep, I've had the same problem with my Canon A320 printed on the ahem!:oops: office laser printer. The nose parts, where the card is bent the tightest, are all spotty. The rest of the fuselage is ok though. It's a pity cos the model is a very elegent black. Now it looks like it flew through a sand storm! :) I wonder if printing the nose again on an ink jet would improve things, but then colour registration and possible size differences become a problem. I'll just touch up with a felt tip!

I've not had any problems with the glue tabs, except that they need a little extra pressure and more cure time. I also notice my finger tips are more grimy. Perhaps the ink dust flaking off the tab is preventing a good bond is the cause. A quick clean of the tab before gluing should reduce the problem. However, like Chris I've stopped using the printed tabs on the advise of forum members (thanks guys!) so it's no longer a problem for me!:grin: