Glowforge or Silhouette Cutter?

Discussion in 'Tools of the Trade' started by lizzienewell, Nov 16, 2017.

1. Gandolf50

Gandolf50 Researcher of obscure between war vehicles... Moderator

A Twisted Etching Needle
    Capable of producing extremely sensitive lines, etching needles and scribes taper to fine points and are intended for use on grounded plates.( Grounded plates have been heated and covered with asphaltum, which hardens and you scratch through this to expose the metal for etching with acid).
    http://lostartstudent.com/methods-a...king-etching-acid/how-to-make-an-etching.html
  2. lizzienewell

lizzienewell Member

Cool stuff.
    I did see somewhere else how a silhouette cutter can be used to make vinyl masks for etching. I'll stay away from acid unless I have a compelling reason to use the techniques.
  3. zathros

zathros -----SENIOR---- Administrator Moderator

We used a similar technique for making the windows in BlackHawk Helicopters and CH53's. The aluminum door skins are covered with a coating, them the template for the windows is cut out. What ever isn't covered gets dissolved by some very nasty acid. It then goes into water for rinsing, and all the windows and assorted holes and cuts outs are there. The remaining plastic (not really plastic) is peeled off, and for every .125" of an inch, there is only a .005" taper, which gives a tolerance of +/= .0025" of an inch. A very accurate an as they did 20 to 20 door skins at a time, very efficient. Being able to make a template as such is great for circuit boards. The circuit board comes with a coat of copper on it. You cut out the template, and peel away what you want removed. Whatever Copper is exposed, but the phenolic circuit board is unscathed. You then can make a commercial quality circuit board at home. There are people who would pay for that service, especially if they need to replace a circuit board fast. Sometimes you can get the components, but not the circuit board. :)
  4. lizzienewell

lizzienewell Member

Here's the machine. I first used a desk lamp for extra light, but then I purchased an under the cabinet LED to go over the top of it. You can see it works better. The last is of the new big ass pallet knife. I was worried it was too big but it can go under the entire sheet of paper and once.
    20171202_154508-800x450.jpg 20171206_222122.jpg 20171206_223831.jpg
    zathros likes this.
  5. zathros

zathros -----SENIOR---- Administrator Moderator

Big Ass is always better. You spread the stress and cause less damage. Great idea!! ;)