Glossy-Shiny paper cars

Discussion in 'Tips, Tutorials & Tools' started by spirtos, Jul 27, 2006.

1. spirtos

spirtos Member

I'm building the Lotus 49 mentioned in the "internet finds" section a few days ago.It is a very beautifull model and I'm building it as a break to a bigger project I'm on.I always spray with a varnish (either mat or gloss) my models before I cut the parts but I accidentally found a way to make my race car shiny in a more realistic way.I had a very thin transparent tape(the one used in package boxes) on my bench , so I tried to glue it on the parts sheet before I cut the parts.
    For some parts you may need more than one stripe to cover it but if you do it carefully no one will be able to mention it. keep the tape streched in order to avoid air bubbles or wrinkles.
    I will post pictures of the car as soon as I finish it...
  2. spirtos

spirtos Member

I'm building the Lotus 49 mentioned in the "internet finds" section a few days ago.It is a very beautifull model and I'm building it as a break to a bigger project I'm on.I always spray with a varnish (either mat or gloss) my models before I cut the parts but I accidentally found a way to make my race car shiny in a more realistic way.I had a very thin transparent tape(the one used in package boxes) on my bench , so I tried to glue it on the parts sheet before I cut the parts.
    For some parts you may need more than one stripe to cover it but if you do it carefully no one will be able to mention it. keep the tape streched in order to avoid air bubbles or wrinkles.
    I will post pictures of the car as soon as I finish it...
  3. hpept

hpept Member

This is something already came to my mind in the past, but i never tried. My cocern is duratio in time. I've seen occasionally that transparent scotch type tape sometimes tends to contract and become yellow (don't know if it's actually the tape or the glue), without considering that gum tends slowly to be absorbed by the paper and sooner or later it looses the grip. Maybe with some high quality mylar tape this will not happen. Could you do a little duration test for us? Leave a model for one month in front of a sunny window and let us know if any flaw comes out. Nice idea anyway.
  4. hpept

hpept Member

This is something already came to my mind in the past, but i never tried. My cocern is duratio in time. I've seen occasionally that transparent scotch type tape sometimes tends to contract and become yellow (don't know if it's actually the tape or the glue), without considering that gum tends slowly to be absorbed by the paper and sooner or later it looses the grip. Maybe with some high quality mylar tape this will not happen. Could you do a little duration test for us? Leave a model for one month in front of a sunny window and let us know if any flaw comes out. Nice idea anyway.
  5. spirtos

spirtos Member

I guess that the glue used for the model parts also ages and loses grip. The tape will turn yellow sometime (because of the glue) but the more clear and transparent the tape is , the more time it will take for this to happen.Also a coat of varnish it is supposed to help a little.
    I could not leave my Lotus 49 in the sun for a month (because I like it so much) so built a paper helmet (maybe in a rush ;) ) for a durability test.
    I hope it makes the month. :)

[​IMG]
  6. spirtos

spirtos Member

I guess that the glue used for the model parts also ages and loses grip. The tape will turn yellow sometime (because of the glue) but the more clear and transparent the tape is , the more time it will take for this to happen.Also a coat of varnish it is supposed to help a little.
    I could not leave my Lotus 49 in the sun for a month (because I like it so much) so built a paper helmet (maybe in a rush ;) ) for a durability test.
    I hope it makes the month. :)

[​IMG]
  7. hpept

hpept Member

that's good. keep up updated with the test progress.
  8. hpept

hpept Member

that's good. keep up updated with the test progress.
  9. spirtos

spirtos Member

shiny surfaces-update

...I finished the Lotus 49 and I have uploaded four pictures in the gallery...the test-paper helmet is for a week in the sun now...it seems it is holding on alright untill now...the temperature here in Athens reached 40oC the previous week (a little over 100 oF that is) and considering that the tape expands from heat in a different rate than the paper I expected the wrinkles it had (I built it in a hurry) to get a lot worse , but they didn't...colors have a hard time though... :)
  10. spirtos

spirtos Member

shiny surfaces-update

...I finished the Lotus 49 and I have uploaded four pictures in the gallery...the test-paper helmet is for a week in the sun now...it seems it is holding on alright untill now...the temperature here in Athens reached 40oC the previous week (a little over 100 oF that is) and considering that the tape expands from heat in a different rate than the paper I expected the wrinkles it had (I built it in a hurry) to get a lot worse , but they didn't...colors have a hard time though... :)
  11. milenio3

milenio3 Active Member

Nice model! And well done.
    Hope it endures the climatic changes. Let us know.
  12. milenio3

milenio3 Active Member

Nice model! And well done.
    Hope it endures the climatic changes. Let us know.
  13. hpept

hpept Member

we're all anxiously waiting for the test response :grin:
  14. hpept

hpept Member

we're all anxiously waiting for the test response :grin:
  15. spirtos

spirtos Member

...one month later...and...it passed the test! Here is the full story:

The test was a durability test for the transparent tape used to make my Lotus 49 shiny.A paper helmet was used for the test and left out in the balcony for one month. If the glue lost grip,turned yellow or got wrinkled that would have ended the test.
    The paper helmet was made of -cheap- photo-copier paper (80gr) covered with the tape and it was made in a hurry , resulting in poor build-quality and some wrinkles.As it made the month intact , imagine how much more it could take if was properly built.
    With the temperatures here in Athens (Hellas) rising close to , and over! , 40oC I think it was a successful test.
    So I will continue to use the thinner and the more clear transparent tape I can find (and hoping I did not just get lucky with the one I have now :) )in order to make paper parts glossy.And maybe it is better to use smaller tape parts when the paper part is small and the curve big. Hope this helps!
    [​IMG]
  16. spirtos

spirtos Member

...one month later...and...it passed the test! Here is the full story:

The test was a durability test for the transparent tape used to make my Lotus 49 shiny.A paper helmet was used for the test and left out in the balcony for one month. If the glue lost grip,turned yellow or got wrinkled that would have ended the test.
    The paper helmet was made of -cheap- photo-copier paper (80gr) covered with the tape and it was made in a hurry , resulting in poor build-quality and some wrinkles.As it made the month intact , imagine how much more it could take if was properly built.
    With the temperatures here in Athens (Hellas) rising close to , and over! , 40oC I think it was a successful test.
    So I will continue to use the thinner and the more clear transparent tape I can find (and hoping I did not just get lucky with the one I have now :) )in order to make paper parts glossy.And maybe it is better to use smaller tape parts when the paper part is small and the curve big. Hope this helps!
    [​IMG]
  17. Stev0

Stev0 Active Member

Well done.

I have found my own shiney paper through the print business I go through but this would be a great idea for creating shiney parts on the fly.
  18. Stev0

Stev0 Active Member

Well done.

I have found my own shiney paper through the print business I go through but this would be a great idea for creating shiney parts on the fly.
  19. Bengt F

Bengt F Active Member

Stev0,

Could you give us a clue or hint as to what kind of brand of glossy printing paper you are talking about? Does it work in ink jet printers?
    This is really interesting.

I hope to hear from you.

Best,
    Bengt :D
  20. papertrain

papertrain Member

has anyone tryed using a glossy photo paper,,,,,,,it comes in a variety of sixes all the way to 11x17. i am not sure how glue would work with it tho.