girder arch trestle

Bill Pontin

Oct 14, 2001
Milford, CT
Visit site
Building another four foot N Trak module and wanted something with a deep gorge in front. Alas, where do I find a two and a half foot bridge to span the gorge without piers. Looking around on the internet decided on structure similar to the picture.

Attachments

• crooked1911_02.jpeg
    crooked1911_02.jpeg
    61.8 KB · Views: 383

Bill Pontin

Oct 14, 2001
Milford, CT
Visit site
Found the raw material I needed at a train show, plastic bridge girders manufactured by Central Valley of Oceano, CA. I under estimated the quantity needed and was frantically searching all the LHS for more. A call to the manufacture and a very understanding owner solved my dilemma. Here is the fixture I used to form the arches.

Attachments

• mvc-004s.jpg
    mvc-004s.jpg
    38.6 KB · Views: 385

Bill Pontin

Oct 14, 2001
Milford, CT
Visit site
Thanks to Central Valley I was able to complete the structure this evening. All I need now is to get my airbrush and compressor back to paint the structure. Still haven't figured out what colors to use. Any suggestions?

Attachments

• mvc-013s.jpg
    mvc-013s.jpg
    38.4 KB · Views: 372

Bill Pontin

Oct 14, 2001
Milford, CT
Visit site
Still need approaching girder bridges on both sides and trackwork. Cannot get ahead of the landscapping and rockwork. The blue line (not using a mountain division) can be seen ducking into seveal tunnels beyond the bridge

Attachments

• mvc-014s.jpg
    mvc-014s.jpg
    38.6 KB · Views: 370

Bill Pontin

Oct 14, 2001
Milford, CT
Visit site
Sent the attached picture to Central Valley as a thank you for getting me out of a fix. Still looking for a LHS that carries this material.

Attachments

• mvc-012s.jpg
    mvc-012s.jpg
    42.8 KB · Views: 366

Russ Bellinis

Feb 13, 2003
Lakewood, Ca.
Visit site
Originally posted by Bill Pontin
Thanks to Central Valley I was able to complete the structure this evening. All I need now is to get my airbrush and compressor back to paint the structure. Still haven't figured out what colors to use. Any suggestions?

I'm not sure, but I think most steel bridges are painted with iron oxide primer.

Matthyro

Will always be re-membered
Dec 28, 2000
Georgetown, Ontario,Canada
Great looking bridge Bill. There are good suggestions already for colour but steel bridges come in all sorts so my suggestion is burnt umber. It is dark brown but looks like steel that has been painted then some rust and after time takes on the dark tone.

pomperaugrr

May 21, 2003
Connecticut
Visit site
Bill:
That is an awesome bridge. What did you use for handrails?

As for a LHS, try the Hobby Gallery, on Meriden Rd., in Wolcott. It might not be local for Milford, but they do carry the Central Valley line of Girders. I think that Shelton Railroad Systems carries the central valley line too. I'm not sure if their retail store is still open, but you can find them online. (sheltonrailroad.com)

It's too bad that Central Valley doesn't make N-scale products. I love the detail. Jack makes some nice bridge kits. I'm up in Litchfield County, but it's nice to see another N-scaler from CT.

Take care.

Eric

shamus

Registered Member
Dec 17, 2000
UK
Bill,
Thats one hell of a nice bridge you have scratchbuilt, and even more fantastic is the fact that its an arch bridge which are quite difficult to construct.
Shamus

Bill Pontin

Oct 14, 2001
Milford, CT
Visit site
Thanks for all the wonderful comments, going to go with Robin's recommendation of burnt umber, that sounds the most prototypical. Most do black and it just seems to blend into the background.

Eric, drove up to the Hobby Gallery, they had some Central Valley items but no girder material. Shelton RR, gave up going over there, never could figure out their hours. Have several hobby shops here in Milford but they are more interested in stocking military items.

Pat, sorry, did not get your e-mail. You are entirely welcome, hope the mold and letters work out and fit the bill.

Ralph

Remember...it's for fun!
Jun 18, 2002
St. Paul, MN
Visit site
Bill, just saw this thread. WOW! Beautiful bridge! Very nice work! The banner was a nice touch too. Can't wait to see a pic of trains rolling overhead!
Ralph

Bill Pontin

Oct 14, 2001
Milford, CT
Visit site
Started back in on my NTrak module, been away for the last two weeks. Went with the burnt umber color and finished painting the bridge. Here it is just set in place on the module for now, remove it while I do the rock work and scenery. Adjusting the footings was harder than I thought, yup I remembered to take the finished height from the cork roadbed.

Attachments

• mvc-020s.jpg
    mvc-020s.jpg
    37.5 KB · Views: 109

Bill Pontin

Oct 14, 2001
Milford, CT
Visit site
Was really stumped on the footing or supports. Found exactly what I need in my copy of MR's "Bridges and Trestles" book. Still have some more detail to add to them, but I pegged up the center of the girder and with everything loose it will allow me to make some minute height adjustments.

Attachments

• mvc-021s.jpg
    mvc-021s.jpg
    37.8 KB · Views: 103