Gilbert 0-6-0 - Repair - Parts?

Discussion in 'HO Scale Model Trains' started by BigDaveHO, Jan 19, 2009.

1. BigDaveHO

BigDaveHO New Member

Hi,

I have a Gilbert 0-6-0, "#443 Pennsylvania" in pieces. The date stamped on the Locomotive is MAR 1957.

I am looking for help putting it back together, locating parts, or a repair service. This belonged to my brother, has great sentimental value, and I'd like to get it running again...

Any advice is appreciated.

Thanks,
    Dave
  2. toptrain1

toptrain1 Member

Gilbert PRR B6

Dave : what is wrong with it?
    frank
  3. BigDaveHO

BigDaveHO New Member

Frank -

It's totally taken apart...I have the Locomotive, coal car w/ trucks, drive wheels, motor w/ worm gear, brushes, and resistors(?), which may or may not work... The front cap of the boiler is missing, (round), no cow catcher(?).

Thanks,
    Dave
  4. toptrain1

toptrain1 Member

Dave if you noticed my avatar is a gilbert 0-6-0. their are no resistors on this model. Here is a exploded diagram.
    frank

Attached Files:

5. toptrain1

toptrain1 Member

parts

Dave the smoke box front is aviable. The pilot is not. I use the pilot from the rear drive Tyco 2-8-0. it fits. It even has more detail.
    frank
    The top shows a 433 with a tyco pilot.
    the bottom a open 0-6-0 drive.
    I hope this helps
    frank

Attached Files:

6. BigDaveHO

BigDaveHO New Member

Frank,
    So... I am a newbie and know next to nothing... Is the smoke box front the round cap that would fit on to the nose? :confused:( Part #2). Do you have a spare? I'm also missing part #5... can you explain what parts #11/12/13 are?

Thanks for the pic's and the exploded view... It looks like I have 95% of the components, missing screws, pins. I will see how far I can get putting it back together.

Dave
  7. toptrain1

toptrain1 Member

Yep! Two is the boiler smoke box front. Those other numbers make up the smoke unit, piston, and piston operating arm. And I don't have a spare for #2. That, #1 the smoke stack insert, and #5 the front pilot seam to be the most common missing parts. The screw (#32 ) that holds on the front pilot also holds on the loco body. Damaged front pilots are common also. The smoke units if not servised in a long time have their pistons sieze. I had to fix this three times. The piston is made of bake-o-lite. and so it is brittle and must be handled carefully. That boiler front was recasted and is out their. If you search "Gilbert HO parts " you will find a site with it aviable. Otherwise ebay. I have seen them their.
    frank
  8. BigDaveHO

BigDaveHO New Member

Frank - Thanks again for the information- I appreciate your time - Dave
  9. gkcooper365

gkcooper365 New Member Old S Scale

Gilbert HO

Dave,
    Try the sites below, this is part of Amatto hobbies in CT. They bought all of the AF Parts busines when AF closed up shop. I don't know if they have HO, but worth a try.
    www.TrainRepairParts.com
    www.HobbySurplus.com

George