gift idea for a 60 year old enthusiast

todd

Jul 23, 2001
USA.
Hi all. My father has recently gained interest in the model railroading hobby after many, many years of absence from it. He has been expressing in terest in the HO scale, and with the holidays coming up, I'dlike to start him off with a nice gift, maybe an engine car or high qulaity set. I wouldn't mind spending a couple of hundred bucks if need be, but he is for all intents and purposes, an amateur in the hobby. Can you make a recommendation for a high-level gift for an entry level enthusiast? Thank you.
~Todd

Russ Bellinis

Feb 13, 2003
Lakewood, Ca.
Visit site
What does he like? Steam or Diesel? Athearn, ready to run or Genesis, Lifelike Proto 2000, Kato, and Atlas all make nice diesels. Bachmann Spectrum, Lifelike Proto 2000, and Broadway Limited make nice steam engines. Broadway Limited also makes a few nice diesels.

jmarksbery

Sep 25, 2002
Butler, Kentucky USA
members.aol.com
:wave: Hi Todd, and welcome to the Gauge. I think that is a very kind gesture of you. I am 63 and enjoy the hobby very much. You'll find there is a lot of us old goates on here and all are willing to help him or you out. I think you should be able to get him a decent loco, some cars, track and maybe a couple of building for that to get him started back. Everyone here will give you good advise so don't be afraid of it. I have bought some cheaper engines and found them pretty darn good but I would try to stay away from the sets if possible. Of course you would get everything you need to run a train. Good job you are doing for your farther. :thumb: :thumb: Jim

petey

May 17, 2004
Hello Todd,
Since your Father is just starting. It sounds as though you want to begin with everything in the box. I would suggest an Atlas set. This will provide a good quality locomotive and track to expand on.

bear

Nov 8, 2004
Mason, Ohio
I have a son named Todd and I'm just gettin back in the hobby. The Mag-lite suggested by Doc would be a great present. Wouldn't mind finding one under my tree.
If you have money leftover, a bottle of Jack Daniels might be nice!!!!!!!!!!! (I'm kidding)
Whatever you get him will be appreciated. Sure your birthday isn't 10/29/76????

rcline

Jul 26, 2004
Byers, Tx. 76357
www.geocities.com
hello todd and welcome to the house of Clickity Clack! Check out
www.hobbysurplus.com , I think that you will find some really good deals there. Also order thier free catalog. They have a lot of good deals on structures for half the cost of anywhere else. they may not be super detailed kits, but after you put your own touch to them with weathering and so forth, I think that both you and your dad will be very happy.

jtbterri

Jun 16, 2004
San Diego, California
Todd
Don't know where you live but check out the train shows in your area. They typically have several at this time of year, depending upon where you live. A good chance to look over the product before buying, touch and feel do count, and also they usually offer good prices with none of the shipping charges associated with some of the web sites.
Also, the local hobby shops, LHS, have an abundant supply at this time of year for you to peruse, and perhaps buy.
I've just got back into the hobby a year ago, >60 year old, and did so at a train show. Bought a kit, Athearn Super Chief, which my wife used to take from Chicago to LA in the 50's. Brought back memories for both of us and its success has led to a 9x6' layout in the garage. I know that buying individual parts generally gets more(selection) for less($), but the kit is great for starting up again, especially for an entry level enthusiast.
Find an idea, memory, theme, era and look for a kit that will make it happen. Athearn and Atlas make good ones, and I have seen several Bachmann ones that were attractive, but would prefer myself to stay with the Athearn and Atlas locos, especially for diesel.
George

KCS

Nov 23, 2004
Shreveport, LA.
Kato has a flawless RTR kit (set) very nice very detailed. how ever track is just track for now but that can get him started. and he can start to build a bigger layout on the side and play with this kit mean while.

spitfire

Jul 28, 2002
Toronto, Canada
www.parkdaleyard.com
Todd, if he's just starting out, he probably doesn't need tools and such (although he will in time - congrats! your Christmas and birthdays are going to be no-brainers from now on!!!).

I think a train set is the way to go. He can take it out, set it up and be running his brand new train that day. If you can spend $200 or so, whatever you get will be good quality. Given his age, I'd suggest steam is the way to go. Those are the engines that remind us old-timers of our childhoods. :)

If he really likes it, and gets bitten by the bug, then he can branch out into scenery, buildings, tools, more engines, more rolling stock and eventually a bigger layout.

Be sure to keep us posted on what you decide, and how your Dad likes it. :) :)

Val

Hi todd,
I'm sure you know your Dad well, but, to me, the choice of railroad equipment
is a very personal thing and quite impossible to make for another person!! :)
Maybe his past involvment is a good indicator to the direction of his present interest, and maybe not ...

revandy's suggestion of a gift cert. is a good one. Maybe the two of you could
visit the Local Hobby Shop, at least to give you a better idea of his preferences.

There are about 1,752,604 ways to enjoy model railroading (at last count). :thumb:
It's not like taking up golf!!! :D :D

The best suggestion for someone just getting interested is to do a LOT of reading.
Maybe a subscription to Model Railroader and/or Railroad Model Craftsman would be appropriate.

goin' back to sleep now.