ghosts from the past

cn nutbar

Dec 4, 2005
greetings---i came across some old photos that i re-shot with my digital camera---remember any of these relics ???? all these shots were taken in and around bayview,hamilton ontario---hope you enjoy

1304063002.jpg

1304063003.jpg

1304063001.jpg

viperman

Mar 13, 2006
Carol Stream, IL
I'm still a youngin so I've never seen any of those in person. However, I do remember seeing pictures over 10 years ago of that second train. Always thought those cars were wierd looking

kirkendale

May 24, 2004
:D Bayview Jct, nice shots, fond memories, too bad parts are now fenced off and you have to pay to park at the RBG just over the hill.
The original concept on the GO cars was to be able to place pantographs on the ends for overhead electrification if/when fuel costs justified.

doctorwayne

Sep 6, 2005
Canada, eh?
kirkendale said:
:D Bayview Jct, nice shots, fond memories, too bad parts are now fenced off and you have to pay to park at the RBG just over the hill.
The original concept on the GO cars was to be able to place pantographs on the ends for overhead electrification if/when fuel costs justified.

I've not been out to Bayview for a while now, but you used to be able to use a free lot on the southeast side of the tracks. From York Blvd., you go down Valley Inn Rd., over the Bailey Bridge, then turn left. This narrow gravel road leads to a fair-size parking lot. The tracks pass by in a cut, and there's a concrete pedestrian bridge over them, leading towards Plains Rd. Like I say, it's been a while.

Wayne

stuart_canada

Feb 12, 2005
when the lrc had wheel toubles, they rented GO equipment for some runs, the go cabs were sused so they did not have to turn equipement

kirkendale

May 24, 2004
:curse: :wave:Wayne, yes that was a nice little parking lot. I drive along the Valley Inn Road every couple of months. Due to 9/11 security concerns there is a fence accross the driveway. At the bottom of the hill there is still some parking but in all fairness I would leave it open for those who like to fish in the bay. Next time I go that way I will stop and check out the fence. :thumb:

Pooh Bah
Mar 25, 2002
Brampton, Ontario, Canada
Visit site
In case you missed my little joke, GO took old F units, de-motored them and used them for head end power (coach electricity) for use with second hand GP freight diesels.The cabs were left for control purposes. They also had some B units converted the same way, but lacking the cab. Some long GO trains would have 12 cars, with a Geep at one end and a Geep and a B unit at the other. Someone at GO once commented that that was one of their poorer decisions, since one of the railroads (possibly TTR, which controls Union Station) charged them by the axle for access.
Trivia: GO crews called the F40PH "Thunder Wagons" because they had to be run a full speed (notch 8) so the generators would be up to voltage.Imagine the sound of a unit going flat out just sitting in the platform.

interurban

Aug 21, 2002
Pickering. Ontario. Canada.
Visit site
60103 said:
In case you missed my little joke, GO took old F units, de-motored them and used them for head end power (coach electricity) for use with second hand GP freight diesels.The cabs were left for control purposes. They also had some B units converted the same way, but lacking the cab. Some long GO trains would have 12 cars, with a Geep at one end and a Geep and a B unit at the other. Someone at GO once commented that that was one of their poorer decisions, since one of the railroads (possibly TTR, which controls Union Station) charged them by the axle for access.
Trivia: GO crews called the F40PH "Thunder Wagons" because they had to be run a full speed (notch 8) so the generators would be up to voltage.Imagine the sound of a unit going flat out just sitting in the platform.

Great infomation David, where do you find this out, you always amaze me with your knowledge.

Very nice pictures Andrew, I think Northland still use the FA as I have seen it leaving TO a few years back.

Pooh Bah
Mar 25, 2002
Brampton, Ontario, Canada
Visit site
Chris: A lot of it comes from reading everything in sight, an remembering it. (Wish that worked with Calculus and Statistics!) The trivia is from sitting in the front of the Go train with the crew.
Sorry you couldn't make it to our show this weekend. I have a method for making insulators -- you may get it passed on to you.