Getting the hang of it

spitfire

Jul 28, 2002
Toronto, Canada
www.parkdaleyard.com
Well, after a very busy week during which I had no time for digital photography, the weekend is here and I'm back at it. I'm trying to learn how to control the depth of field with the f-stop and here's what I have so far.

This is the loading dock/back alley of Thomas Mfg. showing the frieght elevator door which I made out of stripwood. Yes! A scratchbuilt detail!

cheers
;) Val

Attachments

• dock.jpg
    dock.jpg
    96.1 KB · Views: 135

spitfire

Jul 28, 2002
Toronto, Canada
www.parkdaleyard.com
Here's the window display at Shapiro's Menswear (Quality That Will Please You). I cut the hat off a Preiser figure. The models in the window are an inferior brand of figures that looked just fake enough to be mannequins.
There's a lot of light leaking out from under the door - I'm going to have to fix that.

Attachments

• shapiros.jpg
    shapiros.jpg
    33.7 KB · Views: 130

Tyson Rayles

Sep 25, 2001
Poverty Acres, North Carolina
Visit site
Val the scratchbuilt door looks great as does the photos and modeling! As far as the light under the door goes (at the menswear store), most places that had a recessed door like that had a overhead light to guide the customers to the door (which is what that looks like), I wouldn't change it myself. :) :cool: :)

spitfire

Jul 28, 2002
Toronto, Canada
www.parkdaleyard.com
Thanks guys! Now I'm going around the back.....

These people are always arguing. Maybe this time it's about his old beat-up car that's parked on the rose bush - I don't really know. They're quite annoying to live beside, that's for sure.

I borrowed the stucco idea from an article I read a while back. Basically, you spread Polyfilla (or similar) in a thin layer then carve away parts of it to simulate peeling. I put it on quite carelessly and didn't have to scrape anything since there were already bare patches. It's a very cool idea, I think and so easy to do. Really gives the old neighbourhood a run-down look.

Attachments

• back07.jpg
    back07.jpg
    59.9 KB · Views: 122

shamus

Registered Member
Dec 17, 2000
UK
Nice work Val, getting the hang of your camera now I see.

Shamus
wink.gif

sumpter250

multiscale modelbuilder
Jan 19, 2002
Vernon Hills, Illinois
Visit site
I have always felt that I would never want to get to a point where the work of others no longer impressed me. Thankyou for reminding me that I haven't gotten there yet !! Detail, perspective, mannequins in the window, and a walk in the park!

You've got my attention !!

Pete

Drew1125

Jan 28, 2001
Fantastic modeling & photos Val!
That close-up perspective really puts us "in the scene"!
Great work!

Ralph

Remember...it's for fun!
Jun 18, 2002
St. Paul, MN
Visit site
Great work Val!! I especially like the back of the buildings with the wearing stucco and the gritty trashed up areas. What are Gino and Mama Leone arguing about back there? :) I have got to get a digital camera! My point and shoot sure doesn't allow for much manipualtion of depth of field! Nice modelling and nice pics!
Ralph

spitfire

Jul 28, 2002
Toronto, Canada
www.parkdaleyard.com
Thank-you all for the encouragement. I must say I am so pleased with the Olympus Ultra Zoom camera (and thanks Shamus and Gary for reccommending it). The interface certainly takes some getting used to - I miss my focus ring!! - but the camera itself allows for some real control and the super macro mode is fantastic.

Marty, you asked about the signs. Yes, for the most part I make them myself. I haunt the internet for vintage signs to get ideas. They're collectibles, so there are tons of sites with images that can be used for modelling. The window signs are just printed on my colour inkjet. The "Quality that will please you" sign in the menswear window was a free download from this very cool retro clip art site, at: http://www.retroadart.com (I've attached a sample of their wares)

If you're intersted in more signs I have some links on the Urban Scene site: http://members.rogers.com/urbanscene and then click signs on the side menu.

cheers
:D Val

Attachments

• bestcoffee.gif
    bestcoffee.gif
    7 KB · Views: 68

spitfire

Jul 28, 2002
Toronto, Canada
www.parkdaleyard.com
Originally posted by Ralph
What are Gino and Mama Leone arguing about back there?

It goes something like this:

Mama: Eh! When you gonna move you car? Is a no good here.
Gino: Ma! I told you! I'm fixin' it up.
M: You fixa. You no fixa. Is a no good. You move.
G: Ayyyy. Whatsa big deal? I got no place else to put it. Howcome you never said anything to Vinnie when he had his cars back here?
M: Vinnie's a good boy. Not make a mess. Not like-a you. You move car.
G: I ain't movin' it. &*@#! The guys are comin' over to work on it this afternoon, you old.....
Neighbour: Hey keep it down over there!
Dog: bark bark bark!
Baby: Waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaah
Dog: bark bark bark!

:D Val