Getting some roadwork done.

jeffrey-wimberl

Oct 25, 2006
Sundown, Louisiana, USA
Just putting in a bit of road. Don't let the high sides hang you up. The surrounding terrain will be built up like embankments, like the local roads here are.
road1.jpg

road2.jpg

-
road3.jpg

This shows they are the right size.
roadquestion.jpg

To make the flangeways for the railroad crossings I used lengths of waxed dress shoe strings laid next to rail. I then put drywall compound into the rest of the space and let it dry, then gently removed the shoe strings.
cross1.jpg

cross2.jpg

cross3.jpg

Old_Bob

Nov 4, 2006
Eagle, CO
From a retired general contractor:

Try one of the fast set drywall compounds; it will be a LOT easier to work with than plaster of Paris. Get it at a home center that handles drywall. It comes as a dry powder to which you add water. The label on the bag or box will give you a setting time like 30, 60, or 90 minutes. That is the time it takes to set up, but you really have to wait overnight to sand it. But it does sand and it doesn't shrink much if at all.

Ralph

Remember...it's for fun!
Jun 18, 2002
St. Paul, MN
Visit site
I like using drywall compound too. Jeffery I really like your back drop trees and buildings. Makes the scenes seem to go on for miles!
ralph

jeffrey-wimberl

Oct 25, 2006
Sundown, Louisiana, USA
You know, I didn't even think about how the backdrop would look in a pic when I put it up. I just put it there because it looked a whole lot better than the wall. Then I took some pics of the layout. Nothing really to shout about until I looked at one that showed part of the backdrop. I was so amazed by how realistic it looked that I almost fell off my chair, after I picked my lower jaw up off the floor that is.