getting models from 3D games

animaniac

Jul 31, 2006
I heard models could be ripped from games, is it only possible on MMORPGS or on any game? i may be daydreaming, but is there a way on PS2 games?

animaniac

Jul 31, 2006
I heard models could be ripped from games, is it only possible on MMORPGS or on any game? i may be daydreaming, but is there a way on PS2 games?

goney3

Aug 26, 2005
Lompoc, CA
www.metafocus.net
http://ogle.eyebeamresearch.org/

OGLE can extract from ANY game ran on PC under Windows. (with varying results in model quality) Sometimes you have to clean them up a bit.
It can even extract models from Google Earth :grin:

For PS2 games you might have to run it on your Windows box with an emulator and then have OGLE extract the model... but that seems a bit tricky. You might give it a shot and post your results here. :)

Otherwise I don't see how you can extract it directly from the PS2.

google-earth-small.jpg

goney3

Aug 26, 2005
Lompoc, CA
www.metafocus.net
http://ogle.eyebeamresearch.org/

OGLE can extract from ANY game ran on PC under Windows. (with varying results in model quality) Sometimes you have to clean them up a bit.
It can even extract models from Google Earth :grin:

For PS2 games you might have to run it on your Windows box with an emulator and then have OGLE extract the model... but that seems a bit tricky. You might give it a shot and post your results here. :)

Otherwise I don't see how you can extract it directly from the PS2.

google-earth-small.jpg

animaniac

Jul 31, 2006
I managed to run OGLE on ePSXe (the best playstation emulator) and it's great except... the result is all flat! the result is just the same as the game screen, without depth. I had the problem on all games, but it worked fine with a 3D modeler (it was just a try). does it mean i'll have to find another emulator? as soon as I can, I'll build models of my favorite game: xenogears!

animaniac

Jul 31, 2006
I managed to run OGLE on ePSXe (the best playstation emulator) and it's great except... the result is all flat! the result is just the same as the game screen, without depth. I had the problem on all games, but it worked fine with a 3D modeler (it was just a try). does it mean i'll have to find another emulator? as soon as I can, I'll build models of my favorite game: xenogears!

goney3

Aug 26, 2005
Lompoc, CA
www.metafocus.net
Well, OGLE is v0.3 beta... so its probably a problem with both it and the emulator. You might try another emulator (and make sure its using OpenGL for the output rendering), that and try out future versions of OGLE as they come out with better features and squash some bugs ;)

Your other option is to take a bunch of screen-shots and then use a photomodeler of some-kind to make a recreation. There are a bunch of them out there, but I don't have the links off-hand (some cost a pretty penny though). I'm sure there is a free version kicking around somewhere, but those are usually harder to use and a bit buggy. :)

goney3

Aug 26, 2005
Lompoc, CA
www.metafocus.net
Well, OGLE is v0.3 beta... so its probably a problem with both it and the emulator. You might try another emulator (and make sure its using OpenGL for the output rendering), that and try out future versions of OGLE as they come out with better features and squash some bugs ;)

Your other option is to take a bunch of screen-shots and then use a photomodeler of some-kind to make a recreation. There are a bunch of them out there, but I don't have the links off-hand (some cost a pretty penny though). I'm sure there is a free version kicking around somewhere, but those are usually harder to use and a bit buggy. :)

animaniac

Jul 31, 2006
I dug a doc on ePSXe, and it seems the depth is computed internally, and the openGL is only used to display the polygons on the screen... and that's why the 3d model is flat and appears as a screencap... in other word: AAAARGH!!! IT DOESN'T WORK ONLY FOR THE PROGRAM I NEEDED THE MOST!!

animaniac

Jul 31, 2006
I dug a doc on ePSXe, and it seems the depth is computed internally, and the openGL is only used to display the polygons on the screen... and that's why the 3d model is flat and appears as a screencap... in other word: AAAARGH!!! IT DOESN'T WORK ONLY FOR THE PROGRAM I NEEDED THE MOST!!

allhallowseve

Jul 13, 2005
Any rollercoastertycoon gamer!!!

If any know how to get a model from any rollercoaster tycoon games that would be great to make a paper model coaster :)

allhallowseve

Jul 13, 2005
Any rollercoastertycoon gamer!!!

If any know how to get a model from any rollercoaster tycoon games that would be great to make a paper model coaster :)

Kevin G

Nov 27, 2003
Muskegon, Michigan
allhallowseve said:
It is very funny that you mention this. I am currently in contact with some people that design coasters for the coaster simulator "No Limits" about getting ahold of some 3d models to be converted to paper. No Limits is much more realistic than RCT and the models will be alot more detailed. Will let you know how things turn out.

Kevin G

Nov 27, 2003
Muskegon, Michigan
allhallowseve said:
It is very funny that you mention this. I am currently in contact with some people that design coasters for the coaster simulator "No Limits" about getting ahold of some 3d models to be converted to paper. No Limits is much more realistic than RCT and the models will be alot more detailed. Will let you know how things turn out.

diamondback

Jan 20, 2001
Salt Lake City, UT
Visit site
While we're at it, some of the ships in the old space-combat sim Freelancer look liek they'd be naturals for cardmodeling, with nice, angular/polygonized shapes and all...

Now if only OGLE weren't over my head and worked with DirectX...

diamondback

Jan 20, 2001
Salt Lake City, UT
Visit site
While we're at it, some of the ships in the old space-combat sim Freelancer look liek they'd be naturals for cardmodeling, with nice, angular/polygonized shapes and all...

Now if only OGLE weren't over my head and worked with DirectX...

Raalgon

Oct 18, 2008
I have also looked for a couple of days for software or guides explaining how to rip 3D Model information from PS2 DVD or XBOX360 or PS3 for pepakura. I am somewhat disappointed by the lack of information on "how to". The closest information concerning this topic is making originals models from WoW or CnC. It seems the same statement appears concerning this topic on console 3D data is that it is possible to use 3D information from console games to make pepakura models. However, nothing more in depth is explained after that comment.

Bad_Scorpion

Jul 2, 2006
Heads up peeps. whenever you "rip" models from games or where ever you get them from. The rights of the model design belong to the original designer. That is why if anyone remembers when I "ripped" the transformers models I also mentioned I was not using the original model but was instead. Using it as a reference point for my own model. The reason for this is to not infringe on copyright laws. And to respect the original modelers. This is an issue I encountered too much on the papertoys site and due to other reasons finally left it. So please keep this in mind.