getting a train to run back and forth by itself?

custom1106

Dec 16, 2004
I'm starting a HO shelf switching layout (2x8) and I want to be able to let a switcher and a few boxcars run back and forth unatended. Instead of sitting there and switching polarity with the powerpack, how can I put together a circuit to make a train go back and forth buy itself on the mainline while I'm not busy switching? Is there a ready made device for this, or do I have to fab something up to make this possible?

I'm ASE certified in automotive electronics, so I know a little about wiring, but what do I need to make this work?

I appreciate your help...

Custom

docsnavely

Sep 20, 2004
Zushi, Japan
What if you were to use IR sensors (or any type for that matter) close to each end of the track, and rig up some simple device to automatically switch the polarity for you when you trip one of the sensors? I'm not sure what kind of device you would want to use to switch your polarity though (either a mechanical switch for your throttle, or some sort of circuit). That's something the experts here could help you with. =o) I hope this helps a little!:D :thumb:

-doc

moria

Nov 4, 2004
Toronto
Hi :)

custom1106 said:
I'm starting a HO shelf switching layout (2x8) and I want to be able to let a switcher and a few boxcars run back and forth unatended. Instead of sitting there and switching polarity with the powerpack, how can I put together a circuit to make a train go back and forth buy itself on the mainline while I'm not busy switching? Is there a ready made device for this, or do I have to fab something up to make this possible?

I'm ASE certified in automotive electronics, so I know a little about wiring, but what do I need to make this work?

I appreciate your help...

Custom
Try these circuits :)

http://home.cogeco.ca/~rpaisley4/AutoRevCheap.html

or

http://home.cogeco.ca/~rpaisley4/AutoRev4.html

I have built a number of Bob's circuits and they all seem to do exactly what they intend to, even with my ham-fisted approach to circuit building :thumb:

Regards

Graham

custom1106

Dec 16, 2004
i decided that the idea could get costly...instead I built a 36" circle at one end and a large yard coming off of it.

thanks for the ideas!