GERN modellers...

Discussion in 'Trackside Photos & Details' started by doctorwayne, Dec 23, 2007.

1. MasonJar

MasonJar It's not rocket surgery

Heyyyyy...... That's NOT dessert grade flux in my brownies...! ;) :D

Andrew
  2. conrailmike

conrailmike Member

Brownsville Station were from Michigan:thumb:
  3. lester perry

lester perry Guest

Possible Gern expantion

Doctor Wayne I know of a large building in the mountains of West Virginia that will become available in the near future. It has 6 truck docks , 1 interior rail pit and 2 exterior sidings. As of now Freightliner trucks owns it. It is an assembly plant. as I said before it is large as in 30,084 square feet. there will be plenty of labor available as the truck plant employs approximately 1500 people Blue & white collar workers who will be unemployed in the near future. There is a river running past it . It is beside the C&O main line and only a few miles from a large classification yard. I am sure the local and state government will be very cooperative if you know what I mean. Also this is in the middle of Soft coal country so energy would be no problem.
    If this sounds like something you company may be interested please let me know as soon as possible.
    This is the only photo I can find of the facility. It is not very good. Ifyou look in the distance you can see it . this is the side with truck docks and rail pit.

[​IMG]
  4. doctorwayne

doctorwayne Active Member

Les, I'm guessing that you're referring to that structure in the background that doesn't yet have the GERN sign in place. ;):-D I think that I've already sent you the GERN logos and some promotional material, but, if not, send me a PM with your e-mail address, and I'll forward it along. GERN will be a great employer for your area, and the Company "Health Plan" will be a real hit with the employees.....well, it's not really a health plan, but working in all that flux dust does have "health benefits": after all, If It's GERN, It's Good (for you).;):p:-D

Wayne
  5. lester perry

lester perry Guest

Yes that is the one. Frieghtliner trucks has stopped production and started moving out. I will keep you updated with the progress.
  6. Ralph

Ralph Remember...it's for fun!

Les, that looks like an excellent location for a Gern expansion. I'm looking forward to see what develops. In the meantime, if I may, I'd like to introduce Gern's Cement flux Products Division in the Upper Hudson Valley. This large facility produces that all purpose flux that makes cement cure 3% harder and faster, a boon to the construction industry.
    A number of sections of the NY State Thruway are made of cement enhanced with the flux. Reportedly residents of one rural community in the State refer to the Thruway passing by their town as "that gern road" or words to that effect, although this hasn't been substantiated.

This Gern plant covers a scenery challenge area with hidden track on two levels. It really isn't served by a siding on the layout although I'll be putting two dummy spurs behind the silos to suggest a busy loading area.

[​IMG]

Trains go under and through the plant
    [​IMG]

Truck loading dock with silos behind. Dummy spurs will be visible to the right of the silos.
    [​IMG]

Thanks for your help in developing the signage Wayne! Its great to be part of Gern Industries!

Ralph
  7. doctorwayne

Great-looking plant you've got there, Ralph, :thumb::thumb: and you've done a really nice job on the signs, too. It's also nice to know that GERN is hard at work, doing one of the things it does best: covering something up. ;):p:-D Too bad you can't solicit an endorsement from Jimmy Hoffa.:twisted:

Wayne
  8. TruckLover

TruckLover Mack CH613 & 53' Trailer

WHOA Ralph, that is a BEAUTIFUL looking plant you got!!!! :thumb: :thumb: I love all the building details and the roof-top details. Fantastic Job man :thumb: :thumb: :thumb: :cool: :cool:
  9. Ralph

Er...I do not believe I am aware of what you are referring to...fahgeddaboudit! :mrgreen:

Ralph
  10. Ralph

Thanks Josh! I spent more time on this structure than others on my layout. I like the way limiting the colors helped create a company look. Makes me want to go back and redo some other buildings i made a while ago.

Ralph
  11. TruckLover

TruckLover Mack CH613 & 53' Trailer

I know that feeling lol, i always want to go back and add more details and do more things to buildings i have previously done and thought they were complete lol

My Buildings are pretty much one solid color, but i would like to go back on a few of them and do some highlights on the bricks and such, would really help the realism of them :mrgreen:

I really like the fire escape you added to the building :thumb: :mrgreen:
  12. Mountain Man

Mountain Man Active Member

Just remember that they should be at least 3% larger than those of their competitors! :thumb:
  13. lester perry

lester perry Guest

Ralph are you telling me this because you have fantastic eyesite and can see a concrete plant next to the availible facility or as a suggestion to what could be manufactured in this facility? By the way I have never experienced the use of Gern products before this deal went through. they brought in some Gern concrete restorer/refinisher to start preparation inside this plant. I must say I am amazed with what I saw. It looks brand new. They did a crush test on it and what was supposed to be 30 year old 10,000 lb concrete is testing at new10,300 lbd concrete. This stuff is amazing. and the word is getting out. we have had some calls asking about treating well water that has sulfure in it. It is safe to drink but stinks and tastes nasty. Help me Wayne. I have a Railroad to run and maintain. Now I have Gern to deal with, does Gern have any information literature I can get to give out to potential customers who walk the streets like you and I?
  14. doctorwayne

Hi Les.:wave: My GERN list shows that I sent you promotional material already, but it's no problem to send it again. It'll be comin' through as an e-mail in a couple of minutes.

Wayne
  15. Ralph

Les, I love it! :)
    Ralph
  16. lester perry

lester perry Guest

Yes you sent me some material before thanks. I just looked at what you just sent, some of it I have. Is there any way to ship some of the flux so I can calm the locals until this operation is up and running? I am almost sorry I introduced this stuff to my little world. There are people lining up to work for free just to get this stuff flowing. And they only have a little that was spilled during preparation of the facility. I heard that someone took some to an old strip mine and poured it on the ground. they claim that within 3 days trees and grass were growing. What is this stuff? Any way I feel this will generate a lot of traffic for the C&O in my corner of the world and I am anxious to get it flowing. I got a new airbrush for Christmas and can't wait to get home and start a fleet of GERN rolling stock. I have 6 Chessie system centerflow hoppers on a shelf under my layout that will soon be GERN.
  17. Mountain Man

When was GERN founded?
  18. doctorwayne

Well, the idea for GERN originated in the late '50s, and was my brother Steven's brainchild. We had a table-top hockey game, the kind where the players are controlled by rods under the "ice" surface. We each had several teams, and all of the players were named, allowing us to keep statistics for each "season". One of his players was Cookie Gibson, centre, team owner, and well-to-do flux magnate. If I recall correctly, he won the scoring championship several times, playing for the Shawinigan Syrup Kings. sign1
    It was determined that flux was not so much like soldering flux, but more like flux in the expression "in a state of flux", or changeable. When I finally had the opportunity to build my layout, I knew that a flux facility would have to be included. Steven picked up the ball (or puck) and came up with some advertising, signs, and snippets of historical information.
    Since I model the late '30s, I've arbitrarily back-dated GERN's origins (as ever, in a state of flux) ;) back to the early 1900s. Historical records do exist (somewhere):p that flux was mined in Britain as far back as Roman times, and the Chinese "claim" :rolleyes: to have evidence of prehistoric flux mines. Regardless, Mr. Gibson (his real name is Charles, although most call him Cookie) has secured the world-wide rights to all flux deposits, including any yet to be discovered and has recently negotiated lunar mining claims, for the time when that becomes feasible. So, even if a company mines flux under the name of another company, GERN is sure to reap the financial benefits. Several recent court cases have borne this out, and GERN of the People's Republic of China may be one of the few industries in that country subject to stringent standards of quality control, both through the Government and through GERN International. The consumer can rest assured that "If It's GERN, It is indeed Good". :-D

Wayne
  19. Mountain Man

Well...drat! I was going to add a GERN car to my layout, but it's turn-of-the-century so it looks like I'm out of luck. :(
  20. MasonJar

MasonJar It's not rocket surgery

Not out of luck MM...! ;) I think Wayne posted a history here at one point. Perhaps a search will turn it up?

Andrew