GERN Industries Ltd. is on the move....

Discussion in 'Trackside Photos & Details' started by doctorwayne, Oct 8, 2007.

1. doctorwayne

doctorwayne Active Member

[​IMG]

GERN Industries Limited (Canada) today
    announced the opening of their first American plant, near Houston, Texas. The new facility, the Burlinggame Works of GERN Industries Limited (Texas Division) will mine and mill GERN Brand Flux products for distribution throughout the Great Southwest. Texas Division President and CEO Byers B. Burlinggame, overseeing the final phases of the plant's construction, told reporters that the firm was also assembling a small fleet of company railcars to ensure timely delivery of the precious commodity to eager customers. He also hinted that the American market for GERN Brand products could easily support additional production facilities, as analysts predict that the Texas Division is expected to be running at full capacity within six months. This could open the door for further U.S. expansion through licensed production and/or distribution facilities. Charles "Cookie" Gibson, Founder and CEO of GERN Industries,
    and a living testimony, at the age of 126, to the powers of GERN Brand Medicinal Flux, attended ribbon cutting ceremonies at the new plant. Mr. Gibson, sporting a newly-acquired 10-gallon Stetson, welcomed Mr. Burlinggame into the company fold, and commended him for his part in the speedy completion of the new facility.
  2. Gary S.

Gary S. Senior Member

With construction of the GERN Industries Burlinggame Works substantially complete, a few photos are in order:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The tank car loading area and pumphouse

[​IMG]

Looking up at the elevator

[​IMG]
  3. Gary S.

Gary S. Senior Member

GERN Texas Division takes delivery of GILX 944, GILX 947, GILX 5670, and GILX 5672

[​IMG]

The Anhydrous Flux new tankers are placed on the loading track

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

GERN covered hoppers on the granular flux siding

[​IMG]
  4. Gary S.

Gary S. Senior Member

The first load of powdered flux is loaded into covered hoppers to be delivered to anxiously awaiting customers

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  5. Printer

Printer Member

These are GREAT... Just GREAT!!!

Scoot
  6. Nomad

Nomad Active Member

Man, that is great:thumb::thumb:. I bet old Charles Gibson is proud. ( I heard he looks like Bill Gates, is that true?:p)
    Seriously, that is one awesome complex, and those cars look great. That ad that Doctor Wayne put out is fantastic. I thought it was real to begin with. I remember seeing ads like that when I was a kid in the fifties.

Loren
  7. MilesWestern

MilesWestern Active Member

That Is The Most Incredible Follow-through I've EVER seen as a project. Fantastic work! It really has a "Family" feel to it, and I an really amazed at the resemblance between Wayne's and yours Gary, obviously working together closely in the creation of this model yeilded an awesome result good work. :)
  8. Gary S.

Gary S. Senior Member

Thanks Scott and Loren. And thanks to DocWayne for permission to use the GERN idea and for his direction.
  9. Gary S.

Gary S. Senior Member

Thanks Miles. Perhaps DocWayne would be kind enough to post a couple photos of the original GERN complex as a "family portrait" thread.
  10. MilesWestern

MilesWestern Active Member

I like the Family portrait Idea!

The Planned California Plant will be put on hold, I think I might need a lumber yard where the Planned extension was going to go, BUT, I may go forth with in anyway, I'll send a press release out soon as a decision.

While writing this I came up with a solutuion: Removable industries. I could build it as a removable module, and either place GERN or a lumber yard, depending on what I want the day I'm modeling. Hmm...
  11. doctorwayne

Good idea, Miles. When I had originally decided to run my layout in two eras, late '50s and mid-'70s, changed yearly, I had planned on doing something similar. Late '50s in Canada meant that there was still lots of steam around, and passenger trains, too. The '70s layout would've had the footings from the water towers, and just the concrete platforms and foundations of the stations. A few of the buildings might have received modern "doubles" too.

Here's a picture of the original home of GERN:
    [​IMG]

For anybody that would like to see some more pictures, here's a link:

If it's GERN, it's Good

Wayne
  12. N Gauger

N Gauger 1:20.3 Train Addict

Great Stuff!!!! I love it!!! :thumb::thumb::thumb::thumb::thumb:
  13. bigsteel

bigsteel Call me Mr.Tinkertrain

amazing recreation of GERN gary :thumb:.and great backstory to go along with it Doc :thumb:.also i had to ask,can i make a bill board depicting GERN on my layout wayne? i thoght it would be really cool having a sign near my mine town or subtle posters like the old Burmashave signs i used to see.hmm,or possibly a mine named after GERN to supply it with C&O's high quality bitumonous coal? :mrgreen:.but only if you permit the Wayne...either way,gret job Gary and DocWayne :thumb:.--josh
  14. doctorwayne

Thanks, Josh. I certainly have no problem with your ideas. Permission to use the name GERN is easily obtained via a polite request such as yours. For anybody wanting to build their own version of GERN, or, if you don't have a lot of room to spare, even a simple distribution warehouse, I would also appreciate a pm outlining your plans. I can provide background info, etc. if it's needed. If you're planning on building GERN rolling stock, let me know what types of cars you're making, and I'll assign numbers, to ensure that there are no duplicates. The whole idea behind GERN is that it's an industry designed to generate traffic, and allow for a little whimsy at the same time. For instance, a 100 lb. bag of granulated flux has a density such that it weighs only 75 lbs. And GERN Brand Flux, in its many forms, is used in almost everything, so you'll always need to ship more GERN Brand Flux Products.
    Don't forget, folks, "If It's GERN, It's GOOD"

Wayne
  15. Gary S.

Gary S. Senior Member

Thanks for the comments, guys, it is appreciated. I still have some work to do, mostly ground cover and details, but I am pleased beyond my expectations with the way she turned out.

I went back and checked my PMs. I was surprised to discover it was back in December 2006 when the good Doc and I first exchanged messages concerning the use of GERN Industries on my layout. So the project was 9 months in the making! It was a great trip I must admit, discussing the project with Wayne, getting advice, running ideas past him, an occasional joke, maybe a touch of philosophical reflection on the human condition, and just having good conversation in general. On that note, Wayne, please accept this as a public expression of thanks for the inspiration you have given me. Thank you kind Sir!

Gary
  16. doctorwayne

Hey, Gary, it was a pleasure to work with you on this project and the results certainly show that your hard work paid off in spades! :thumb::thumb: I wouldn't be surprised if the Texas Division inspires further expansion of GERN, perhaps by others here on the Gauge. I also think that your upcoming open house is going to be one of the high points of the tour, and not just because of GERN.

Wayne
  17. MasonJar

MasonJar It's not rocket surgery

Nicely done, guys! :thumb: :thumb: ;) :D

Andrew
  18. cnw1961

cnw1961 Member

Gary, Wayne, great idea to open an American plant of the GERN industries. I can’t decide which one I like better (sorry Wayne :mrgreen:, but Gary did an awesome job). And they really look like they belong together. IF IT’S GERN IT’S GOOD :thumb::thumb:.
  19. doctorwayne

Hey, Kurt, there's always room for GERN AG, or, perhaps more properly, GERN GmbH, GERN KG, or GERN KGaA. ;):-D:-D Or perhaps just a small distribution warehouse for GERN products.

Wayne
  20. Gary S.

Gary S. Senior Member

Thanks guys! I'll get the finishing touches done sometime soon. And then I'll post more pics!:mrgreen: