German Layout

rhtastro

Jul 27, 2007
Northern CA
Hi Dave, nice to have you here on the Gauge. Not too many of the current folks here are into European models. But there's always room for it. I used to have a German Z scale setup. It was all Marklin and very good. On a 9 ft. board (3 meters) I could run 7 trains at one time. Of course it kept me pretty busy in order to avoid collisions. A while back I gave most of it to my grandson and sold the rest. But lately I've gotten back into Z as well as HO and have acquired a lot of Marklin's American type models. Much of it has come from e-Bay and from Europe. However, the local dealers have quite a lot of recent Marklin made American models and I have used them too. The quality seems to have survived very well over the years and that's why I've stuck with Marklin. But it's not cheap. In model trains the truism " you get what you pay for" was never more accurate than today. Welcome to The Gauge. I've only been on it for a short time myself. Bob

ed acosta

Aug 4, 2005
Washington-British Columbia
Hello, David, and welcome to the Gauge. Your trains don't resemble my 1950's era southwestern USA trains, but that is the fascination of the hobby. Outside of the visual differences there are many similarities in modelling and we might be helping each other out in the near future. Please keep us in touch with the construction of your layout.

Best wishes,
-Ed

stormfather

Feb 28, 2007
New York State
Nice site, Dave. I've always wanted to model a German railroad, especially since there are so many interesting and unique german buildings offered by Preiser, Faller, etc. Alas, I don't have the time, space, or money to do so, so I'll be living vicariously through your progress until the day that I have the room to make one myself. Those locos look pretty sharp and I can't wait to see how it all comes together. Do you have a trackplan posted? I didn't see one.

davidhardie

Aug 19, 2007
Hi Storm. Thanks for the reminder about a trackplan - I will get on with making one asap and have it on the site this week.
Thanks for the comments !!
David

nkp174

Oct 10, 2006
Cincinnati, O.
David, sehr gut! DB ist ein super Bahn.

I picked up a Liliput 2-10-2 in Austria a couple years ago and I nabbed a Branchline 0-6-0 & train while in the UK (your country I take it from your lexicon?). I intend to build modules for each...maybe a small layout for the British stuff. I also would like to get some Liliput HOm stuff at some point...that is pretty cool.

I would suggest painting the "sleepers" on your "points" to match your flex track. It's funny that the British term is points while many Americans say "switch" as both are merely parts of a turnout. I wonder what the French say? sign1

Love the German railways. Die Bahn ist fantastisch! Ich lese gern Deutsch Linguistik bahn websites.