GeeBee R1 Racer, 1:33, Rafal Ciesielski

Status
Not open for further replies.

rlwhitt

Aug 25, 2006
Clemmons, NC, USA
Finshed 4th section. The wing support wires are in, held firmly in place with a small bit of CA glue. This is 1mm wire.

Attachments

• Body08-Sm.jpg
    Body08-Sm.jpg
    64 KB · Views: 444

rlwhitt

Aug 25, 2006
Clemmons, NC, USA
Well, here we are back at the cockpit section - time to find out what if anything was not fitting right before. I rolled the 5th skin section and test fit it on the forward cockpit former. Perfect fit. So it was the 6th skin piece that will be tight. Good thing I waited instead of shaving that former down. ;)

But now I've got an odd sequence issue. I'll have to slip the cockpit section through skin 5 and slide it backwards. I decide to maybe get a better seam match I'll tackle that cockpit skin first. It is indeed barely long enough, it needs a good tight fit and tug to pull it all the way around, starting by tacking it down up top. You'll need to notch a bit of the cockpit hole (the one that says cut out after assembly) to fit around the back former.

Attachments

• Body10-Sm.jpg
    Body10-Sm.jpg
    71.9 KB · Views: 379

rlwhitt

Aug 25, 2006
Clemmons, NC, USA
Whew. All main fuse sections done. I'm not completely happy with some of my seams, but they are what they are.

Attachments

• Body11-Sm.jpg
    Body11-Sm.jpg
    71.9 KB · Views: 373

rlwhitt

Aug 25, 2006
Clemmons, NC, USA
Finally (for now), CAREFULLY cut out the cockpit hole. It's starting to look more like an airplane and less like a bomb!

Attachments

• Body12-Sm.jpg
    Body12-Sm.jpg
    57.4 KB · Views: 440

GT5500

Apr 23, 2006
Kent, England
Golden Bear said:
What a beauty! I'll give you a 9.9 for the seams on this puppy.

I was just scanning around airplane pic sites and one of the museums has a GeeBee that is supposed to be flyable... but they won't fly it. The things were just dangerous. All engine.

Carl
Didn't they only ever fly a handfull of times and crashed every time?

S

shrike

There is a GeeBee Model Z replica (Miss Springfield - the balck and yellow one) in a museum. I understand it was a little squirrelly to fly.
Delmar Benjamin has an R-1 replica that he's flown regularly in airshows for the past 10 years or so. It flies quite nicely.

The problem with the GeeBee racers wasn't so much with the airplanes as with the pilots. None of them had any experience with aircraft with this high a performance - Even Jimmy Doolittle would be considered a 'low-time' pilot by todays standards.

rlwhitt

Aug 25, 2006
Clemmons, NC, USA
I honestly don't see how this thing would obey the laws of aerodynamics with these tiny little wings. Wonder how fast you had to get before it lifted off?

cardmodeler

Dec 27, 2005
Tennessee
The Gee Bee was indeed a treacherous machine to fly. I saw a film once where the pilot was making a very low-altitude, high-speed run and the plane suddenly corkscrewed right into the ground. Supposedly the gas cap, which was located in front of the windscreen, came off and went through the windscreen. Yeesh!:(

FredZ KSAC

Feb 1, 2004
Sacramento, CA
home.pacbell.net
The GeeBee-R1 in the hands of a competent pilot was a thing to behold. Delmar Benjamin, who had the replica R-1 built, flew the wings off of it. His on the deck knife-edge pass the length of the runway followed up with a knife edge climb-out was something to see! But, this being said, it was all accomplished with horsepower. Of course, pilot skill also had a lot to do with it. I believe that this R-1 replica is now in the hands of the Fantasy of Flight museum in Florida [near Orlando]. Great place to visit, if you ever get the chance. Beautiful build on the R-1, Can't wait for posts.
Later,
Fred Z.

rlwhitt

Aug 25, 2006
Clemmons, NC, USA
I'm back! I hope everyone had a good Thanksgiving holiday!

Continuing on with the fuselage. The fuse section at back of the cockpit has an issue with the free model. It appears that during the rearranging of things from the printed version, the glue strips that go at the back of skin section 7 and former W8 have gone missing. I see from the pics on the Kartonmodell thread that they are there, and used the pic to deduce the general size. The picture below shows a hand drawn set of strips, done by tracing the curve of the skin part 7 (this is a rough cut one - I had already cut and glued the real one).

Attachments

• Body13-Sm.jpg
    Body13-Sm.jpg
    29 KB · Views: 291

rlwhitt

Aug 25, 2006
Clemmons, NC, USA
Another problem. When dry fitting this section I found that when the bottom seam was lined up, one side's pattern matched up fine, but this side was off by a bit more than 1 mm. I ended up cutting the section back apart at the botton seam and trimming it to work.

Attachments

• Body15-Sm.jpg
    Body15-Sm.jpg
    40.8 KB · Views: 293

rlwhitt

Aug 25, 2006
Clemmons, NC, USA
Section 7 glued on. The place indicated by the red circle here concerns me a bit. The top of the skin section is just sort of free floating here. I'm assuming the canopy will cover the "hole" here.

Attachments

• Body16-Sm.jpg
    Body16-Sm.jpg
    43.4 KB · Views: 291

rlwhitt

Aug 25, 2006
Clemmons, NC, USA
And finally (for tonight) the completed fuse. I can see I've got some edge fuzzies to clean up!

Next up, wings!

Attachments

• Body21-Sm.jpg
    Body21-Sm.jpg
    120 KB · Views: 279
Status
Not open for further replies.