Gearz' Galactica Build...

Status
Not open for further replies.

doc_harvey

Day One (of what appears will be MANY)...jus' kiddin...

20 pages!

Printed out on an Epson Stylus 320 Deskjet onto 110 lb. "Heavy Card Stock, Smooth Finish" manufactured by Wausau Paper.

First impression is "WOW!" The texturing is nothing short of amazing. If there is an award for applying textures, Gearz NEEDS to win it!

Most of the major sections appear to be pretty straight forward. The engine "ducting", however, looks daunting and has me fearing for my sanity.:)

I sincerely hope to have time to start cutting and folding tomorrow and will post pics as the sections are built.

Adama: "Whaddya know, whadda ya hear, Starbuck?"

Starbuck: "Nuthing but the rain, sir."

(or something to that effect)

Gearz

Woohooo... Now the truth comes out, I hope there's not to many " I told you so" 's. I won't be surprised if the ducting turns to worms. I've got all the master files standing by for on the spot (quick) editing ~ if they need simplifying..

Textures award! = The hammer and chisel award ( For Mature Audiences, category)

20 pages + 12 pages of instructions! She ain't guna be cheap on the ink unfortunately..

Btw DOC. Watch out for the spectators ~ one of em's got a whip!..
:-D

doc_harvey

Bridge section...

Here are all of the bridge parts, scored, folded and with edges colored. Added "teeth" to the forward bridge part (see pic)...

Attachments

• Bridge parts.JPG
    Bridge parts.JPG
    61.8 KB · Views: 336
  • teeth added.JPG
    teeth added.JPG
    56.1 KB · Views: 260

doc_harvey

day 2...

Here's the build so far...

DEFINITELY follow the directions for parts 8, 9, 8b & 9b...I remebered to try the fit of 9b, and trimed the edges of the starboard bulkhead, but attached the port side before I fitted 8b. It worked out, but was still a big "DOH".

The only problem so far is the forward section of part 10. (see pic) I have only dry fitted it, but it appears that the "nose" isn't quite wide enough. I'll see what it looks like after gluing.

Attachments

• brdg 1.JPG
    brdg 1.JPG
    65.1 KB · Views: 173
  • brdg 2.JPG
    brdg 2.JPG
    67.5 KB · Views: 117
  • brdg 3.JPG
    brdg 3.JPG
    61 KB · Views: 121
  • brdg 4.JPG
    brdg 4.JPG
    61.5 KB · Views: 143
  • Internal bridge brace.JPG
    Internal bridge brace.JPG
    60 KB · Views: 153

doc_harvey

bridge section with "neck" (part 7)

part 7 attached...

Attachments

• ortho brdg with neck.JPG
    ortho brdg with neck.JPG
    67 KB · Views: 161
  • top brdg with neck.JPG
    top brdg with neck.JPG
    65.8 KB · Views: 124
  • btm brdg with neck.JPG
    btm brdg with neck.JPG
    64.6 KB · Views: 148

doc_harvey

completed bridge section

Looks pretty good....I have a few uneven seams across the top, but that's due to my technique, not design...everything else lined up GREAT and all of the textures line up too!

Attachments

• comp brdg.JPG
    comp brdg.JPG
    57.1 KB · Views: 380

doc_harvey

more views...

completed bridge section...BTW the "nose came out pretty okay....just a smidge "gappy" but okay...

Attachments

• comp brdg bottom.JPG
    comp brdg bottom.JPG
    55.3 KB · Views: 133
  • comp brdg command center.JPG
    comp brdg command center.JPG
    56.1 KB · Views: 112
  • comp brdg nose.JPG
    comp brdg nose.JPG
    55.5 KB · Views: 114
  • comp brdg ortho.JPG
    comp brdg ortho.JPG
    57.6 KB · Views: 131
S

sdk2knbk

That looks GREAT! I hope Gearz has lots of bandwidth, when "The Swarm" sees this one finished, they'll knock his site down in no time!

Scott K.

sjsquirrel

Lookin good...

Looks great Doc. I started cuttin and pastin the other day also, but you're well ahead of me. I haven't been gettin a lot of model time lately. Your notes will come in handy.

Gearz

wow! good to see her in public with her clothes on. Great build Doc!

The nose panel issue is still a bit of a worry. It doesn't look like its going to give builders much leeway for positioning part 10. That little bugger has been an annoyance from the start.

Steve ~ I think that's going to be the first of several 'I told you so's..' yeah yeah yeah ..you were right!.. If you find it the same, I'll reposition the flaps (again) and maybe add a check step to the AG ~ part 10 to nose etc...

Yep.. There will be two DL locations until the novelty has worn off..

Apart from the hiccups,
I'm excited!:-D

doc_harvey

Landing bays done...

more build pics...

Attachments

• lb inserts.JPG
    lb inserts.JPG
    58.7 KB · Views: 111
  • lb inserts2.JPG
    lb inserts2.JPG
    65.9 KB · Views: 85
  • lb parts folded.JPG
    lb parts folded.JPG
    67.8 KB · Views: 94
  • lb end caps.JPG
    lb end caps.JPG
    68 KB · Views: 96
  • completed lbs top and bottom.JPG
    completed lbs top and bottom.JPG
    65.2 KB · Views: 143

doc_harvey

The landing bays went together beautifully! Those internal braces were a stroke of genius. The external parts of the landing bays slid onto them like a glove. I had to trim the tabs on the recessed parts (parts 20 & 24), but that was a very easy fix. Lovin' the build so far!

Gearz

Excellent.... finally some parts without major nits..

I can feel a trip to the local printers comin on!. Pant pant pant..

Nice shape build Doc ~ great work!!

:-D :-D

sjsquirrel

OOO yeah!

Gearz said:
The nose panel issue is still a bit of a worry. It doesn't look like its going to give builders much leeway for positioning part 10. That little bugger has been an annoyance from the start.

Steve ~ I think that's going to be the first of several 'I told you so's..' yeah yeah yeah ..you were right!.. If you find it the same, I'll reposition the flaps (again) and maybe add a check step to the AG ~ part 10 to nose etc...
:-D

Thanks Gearz. There's not many things I like better than being able to say "I told you so" :twisted: , so I'll really appreciate any opportunities you provide.

On the serious side I'm still way behind DOC there. I'll actually be pasting that little nose panel section on tonight, then I can add the decorations and move on to the mid section. I've been suffering from the too-many-projects-on-the-go syndrome lately so I'll try to force myself to focus on this build for the next few days.

TTFN

doc_harvey

Working on the LB arms now....I'll post some build pics tomorrow...BTW, does anyone mind that I'm posting sort if "step by step" build pics? It's just kinda fun for me to do, and I thought that it might help other builders work on it when it gets released...But I'll stop if it's annoying...let me know...I have tomorrow off (please don't forget to thank a vet tomorrow :) ) and will have all day to work on her, so I should be close to working on the engine module tomorrow! Can't wait!

Status
Not open for further replies.