Gauge Railway Boxcar

eightyeightfan1

Now I'm AMP'd
Fresh from the paint shop, and on its first assignment, The Gauge Railway's 50' boxcar awaits on a siding for its first cross counrty adventure.

Attachments

• gaug 105371.jpg
    gaug 105371.jpg
    37.2 KB · Views: 260
That's top notch 88, I didn't think I would like blue but that looks VERY attractive. Is it a "Polly-S" colour? do tell us.

Yep, I really like that blue!!:)

Errol

eightyeightfan1

Now I'm AMP'd
Thanks everyone.
The paint is made by Testors. Its in their "Team Racing" line. The color is called"Quality Care Racing Blue". I had it on hand for doing a stock car model that I never started. Walthers still lists it in their catalogue. I don't have an airbrush, so I'm stuck with spray cans. But Xmas is coming.....
Thanks again everyone

jon-monon

I think the P-K line may have tried a similar shade on one of their MDT's, but the paint just peeled off teh primer and looked pretty rough :D :D :D

Attachments

• bmdt11.jpg
    bmdt11.jpg
    11.2 KB · Views: 211

jon-monon

BTW: Before years of harsh midwestern sun beat away at it, it was a deeper blue, a closer match, and readily available at any autoparts inc. your fav. X-mart, as Ford Engine Blue

Attachments

• bmdtph2_6.jpg
    bmdtph2_6.jpg
    13.3 KB · Views: 183

Wolv33

Hey,

Is that a Model Power switcher?

I have an old Conrail sitting around, but didn't know what to do with it. It's dead and a piece on the rear is missing.

88fan, I see the number system worked out great! That blue is pretty cool too! Nice logo on the car!!

Later.

davidstrains

eightyeightfan,

Like the car and the color. :) I cannot tell from the angle but did you do the "Gauge" emblem as a decal or is it just a small color pic? :cool:

eightyeightfan1

Now I'm AMP'd
Thanks Dave and sumpter.
Actually its a decal on a .020 piece of styrene. I originally wanted the logo to be on the car, but when I did the decal, it was on clear decal sheet and didn't show up on the blue. I've just ordered white decal sheets for the next cars that I do.

rockislandmike

88, how did you do the white lettering ??? white decal background ??? alps printer ??? inquiring minds want to know (well, at least I do).

eightyeightfan1

Now I'm AMP'd
After reading your inquiry, I went down to the workshop and got some numbers in case anybody else was interested.
The Gauge Logo, was done on my Compaq ink jet printer, on Vita -Cal decal sheet, it was clear and wasn't gonna show up on the blue, so I put it on a .020 piece of styrene and glued it to the sides. I ordered white sheets for the next cars.
The reporting marks are Micro-scale Railroad Roman(87-69-1) the "Keep It Gauged" (Thanks Ken) is Micro Scale New Haven Gothic- Extended(90081) and the data is Herald King "Modern Boxcar" (D-2W) which included enough to do three 50' and three 40' boxcars. It also had door and even brake shoe data.
Hope this helps.

jon-monon

Originally posted by Wolv33
Hey,

Is that a Model Power switcher?

I have an old Conrail sitting around, but didn't know what to do with it. It's dead and a piece on the rear is missing.

Sorry I didn't mean to ignore your inquerry, it's a tyco or AHM, but I think I've seen the exact same model from model power. If you search e-bay for plymouth and/or industrial, you can find them often for $5 or $10. I got this one for $7 on e-bay, my other I had since I was a tyke. http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=1780541277

This is a "finished" picture.

Attachments

• bmdt11.jpg
    bmdt11.jpg
    11.2 KB · Views: 86

eightyeightfan1

Now I'm AMP'd
Correction

I made a mistake when giving you those decal numbers. That number for the Railroad Roman letters is old. The correct number is 90001. Sorry about that.