Gauge Module Sign-up

pennsysdaddy

Dec 5, 2003
Malvern,PA
groups.yahoo.com
Fine N-Trak Photos to see

Val, I can only offer the (on site) viewing of about a dozen or so, fine N-Trak layout photos, for idea, and guidance use, if they will help. These photos are however NOT to be downloaded, or to be used ANYWHERE but on their original groups site. They are the sole property of the group owner. But they are open to atleast be viewed, and enjoyed by all, just not to be copied, borrowed, or lifted in any way. I think that's a fair bargan... look, but don't touch.

We can all use ideas. These completed N-Trak module shots, are perminantly posted on the yahoo groups page called "Model Railroads Of North America." They are always being added to, and are intended to be; "completed layouts, as you would imagine them to look". Kind of a differant approach, but very pleasing to the eye. The membership on the group is presently open, and is free to belong to. Stop by and see it, if you wish...the signal is green. The address is; http://groups.yahoo.com/group/modelrailroadsofna:wave:

Thanks, Bill C.

guppyman

Dec 6, 2001
League City TX
www.railimages.com
Arlaghan

I'm glad I checked this thread.... It looks like you are doing something that I have been pondering for awhile to use on my home layout.....

I want to make some of it fit N Trak standards, but hate the joiner tracks....

I was debating making some kind of removable joiner sections, ballasted and sceniced to just slide in.... Glad I'm not the only one to want to go this way.

Are you doing them single track or all 3 on one removable section?

Arlaghan

Sep 9, 2003
S. FL
guppyman,

Presently, each piece is a separate one. There's one section of a mini-module that ends with a turnout, so there is a curved piece and a straight piece in close proximity (the photo before was of the curved piece) and the ballasted areas are real close together... I may have to do these as a single piece.

To further this idea along, I've even thought about a way to make it fit within NTRAK standards. In NTRAK, your module edge is supposed to have the roadbed with no track, but why not make that part of the roadbed stay with the sectional track? You would have half of the track with roadbed and ballast (the part that goes on your module) and the other half would be bare, which would connect to the adjacent module. You could even make removable pieces of roadbed w/o track for strict NTRAK regulations...

Hmmm, just thinking outloud... :)

Matthyro

Will always be re-membered
Dec 28, 2000
Georgetown, Ontario,Canada
While I like your idea Alex, your module would not be able to join other Ntrak modules that are built to standard. I have been trying to think of a way around that but no luck so far. I suppose you could have a connecting track with half to fit your module and the other half to fit a standard module.

sumpter250

multiscale modelbuilder
Jan 19, 2002
Vernon Hills, Illinois
Visit site
Rhetorical question: Why did the creators of Ntrak standards set the centerlines at 1-1/2", when N scale two track bridges have 1-1/8" centerlines?......................Oh well, I'll worry about that later, now, I have to bastar....uh, basculeize Walther's two track through truss bridge, and scratch a rolling lift for the third track.

Rhetorical question: Why do I never choose an easy project?

Arlaghan

Sep 9, 2003
S. FL
Originally posted by Matthyro
While I like your idea Alex, your module would not be able to join other Ntrak modules that are built to standard. I have been trying to think of a way around that but no luck so far. I suppose you could have a connecting track with half to fit your module and the other half to fit a standard module.

Yeah, these connector pieces are exclusively for connecting my sub-modules together. Since each individual 2 foot module is pretty much useless without it's companions, I used my own method of connecting them. The ends of the outer sub-modules are standard NTRAK connections - the goal is to make it look like one module of 6 feet, rather than 3 of two. ;)

I have thought of doing the half and half method for the ends, however. I don't see why it wouldn't work. The only fear is losing a connector and then having to use a regular sectional track and having a gap where the roadbed would be missing. Very minor concern, I feel.

sumpter250

multiscale modelbuilder
Jan 19, 2002
Vernon Hills, Illinois
Visit site
Module progress so far:
1. Building in left rear corner: Walthers N scale Car Shop kit, rearranged to fit between drydock, and back of module.

2. Drydock: Scratchbuilt

3. Ship in Drydock: Lindberg U.S.Navy Bobtail Cruiser (USS Carronade IFS1)

4. Drydock cranes: Bachmann 250 ton rail cranes on partially scratchbuilt, partially kitbashed towers.

5. Fishing Trawler: Revell Russian Spy fishing trawler "volga". Under construction, will be on a side slip launchway.

6. Traveling crane behind trawler: Kitbash from Micro Engineering N scale tall steel viaduct.

7. Bridge, right front: Walthers two track through truss kit. Will be "basculeized". Dec 73 MR had drawings of bascule bridge. Same prototype as the Walthers HO operating Bascule.

8. Station, left front: Two Atlas station kits bashed together.

9. Two mast schooner: This was a Lindberg kit of the clipper ship "Flying Cloud". The hull is 87' in N scale.

This has to be finished by August!?!?!?:eek:

Attachments

• ntrak1.jpg
    ntrak1.jpg
    16.9 KB · Views: 128

Arlaghan

Sep 9, 2003
S. FL
Well, I plan to bring commuter trains... the Bombardier Coach cars. And it looks likely that I will also bring an Amtrak train full of SuperLiners! They're pretty tall, but not the tallest cars I've seen.

sumpter250

multiscale modelbuilder
Jan 19, 2002
Vernon Hills, Illinois
Visit site
The through truss bridge has a vertical clearance of 25'. I'll make sure nothing else is lower than that. My primary reason for asking was that I could get a Faller kit of the rolling lift bridge, rather than scratchbuilding one. The Faller kit has too low a clearance. Scratch building will be easier thatn modifying the Faller kit,,,,and cheaper!
Pete