Gauge member visit!

Tyson Rayles

Sep 25, 2001
Poverty Acres, North Carolina
Visit site
Just spent the day with Pete (sumpter250). Very enjoyable, ran trains on the Nantahala Midland, railfanned a little, visited the new Lionel museum and hobby shop, hammered out a mutual trade agreement between our railroads, etc. As soon as I can get some pics downloaded and sized will post more info. :D

Hummingbird

Sep 4, 2002
North Texas
Visit site
Hi Tyson,

Do you still have the jug? Don't let Casey Feedwater get too close to it...he always drips swampwater in it!

Oh yeah...glad you had a great railroading day!

Happy Railroading...pass it on!
Debbie :p

rich maiorano

Apr 27, 2002
levittown pa
hey tyson sounds like you and sumpter had a great time

I did get the chance to meet n-gauger a while back at a car show he was in with the lead shed of his :D :D wish I had more time

Tyson Rayles

Sep 25, 2001
Visit site
Hey Ken, It rained all day when Pete was here which made the railfanning a little soggy. The 4wd was able to climb the mountain though, got a little hairy coming back down but the sun is back out today. Don't anybody be looking for pictures of Pete or myself we were too busy playing with trains to think of that. Will try to post some pics when I get home tonight. :D

Tyson Rayles

Sep 25, 2001
Visit site
Here the NM is switching a couple of Sagaponack, Montauk & Cindy's Harbor boxcars. Both are heading for the Carolina Furniture Co. Seems beside the SM&CH, Pete also owns several furniture stores up there. In exchange for Carolina Furn. buying all it's woodstains from Sagaponack Wood Stains the Montauk Furniture stores will carry a extensive line of Carolina Furniture products. Being the decals are white I asked Pete if he had them custom made, turns out he has a Alps printer and did them himself. Thanks to Pete's generous nature these boxcars now reside on the NM. Thanks Pete!!! :D

Attachments

• switching.jpg
    switching.jpg
    69.8 KB · Views: 96

Tyson Rayles

Sep 25, 2001
Visit site
A couple of footnotes here. There is also a picture of "THE BOXES", but I posted it under the box thread. We seldom get to meet the "face" that goes with the name we see on the posts here at the Gauge. It was a real pleasure to meet Pete. While from seeing his posts I already knew he was a very skilled modeler, turns out he's a really nice fellow (with a excellent sense of humor). I only hope that he enjoyed himself half as much as I did! :D I would highly recommend that any time you have a chance to meet with a fellow Gauge member to go for it!!! :)

Tyson Rayles

Sep 25, 2001
Visit site
Gary, Pete is on the road right now but I know he has N,HO, HO narrow gauge (not sure if it is HOn30 or HOn3) and On30. Don't know if he has any other scales. While he was here he showed me a On30 loco he was working on (2-8-2 if I remember correctly :D ), and it was a thing of beauty! Thanks for the kind words on my layout. Vic I knew there was a reason why we were thirsty and hungry! :D :rolleyes: :D

shamus

Registered Member
Dec 17, 2000
UK
Looks like You and Pete had a great time running trains, pity you didn't photograph the pair of you together.

Shamus

sumpter250

multiscale modelbuilder
Jan 19, 2002
Vernon Hills, Illinois
Visit site
Hi folks,
I just got in, and haven't unpacked yet, had to check out the gauge..... been gone too long.
Tyson,
I had an excellent time there, and once again have to thank you for your hospitality. It was great running the freight down the NM, and the Lionel museum was better than I had expected.
Mostly, though, I really enjoyed the tour of the NM's "prototype"! Now I understand why the NM looks so good.
Made Charleston with no problems, the trip was beautiful, some great scenery there. The weekend was all I expected it to be, and enjoyed the one remaining sumner class DD, USS Laffey, DD724. She was almost exactly the same as Lowry DD770, the one I was in. The rain got a little intense Sunday afternoon, but punched through, and made it to Louisville,Ky by sunday evening.

Gary,
Not every scale... I did up the N scale because I was going down to the Nantahala Midland. Can't go emptyhanded now can we?

Shamus, Kettlestack, and all the other shay lovers.....
Sunday the 15th, stopped in at Cass, Wv... rode the train up to Whittaker, and back.... in the CAB of the #5 shay! The only way that could be topped was on Monday, went back over to the shops at Cass, and watched the new boiler being set down on the frame of the #6 heisler. I dropped the film off on the way home, will pick it up as soon as it's ready, and get some shots up on the gauge.
Once again, my thanks to Tyson Rayles for the chance to visit a while.
Pete