Gauge layout Party No 5!!!!!

N Gauger

1:20.3 Train Addict
Well - Here we go!! :D :D :D

Our List of "On-Time Arrivals" -- Yes, we take Lates & Delays too - Just hop in anytime!! :D :D

Leaving The Station On January 15th, 2005..... Arriving in "Doneville" on February 27, 2005!!!

Remember you can visit Gauge Party No 4 for inspirations & Ideas!!

The Cast of Modelers, for Train No 5:

~~ seanm -- building a stretched hexagonal helix! (6 or 7 laps I think)... N-Scale.

~~ Trains1972 -- adding trees made from an old christmas tree to my layout

~~ spitfire -- 1. Finish painting the new backdrop with clouds and a storm in one corner .....2. Put down homasote.....3. Lay track

~~ grumbeast -- I'm going to commit to finishing the buildings and mountain at Colinport

~~ COCentralRR -- I will be building a control panel for my my layout....I also need to finish ballasting my track as well, and remote wire 12 turnouts.

~~ Freelancer -- Work on my modules....build some buildings

~~ Ray Marinaccio -- finish some of the locomotive projects on the back burner. Mainly the 2 MDC 0-6-0Ts, a pair of Athearn GP7s and a pair of Athearn GP35s ....I may also work on the locomotive service facility on the HO layout.

~~ TomPM -- I will be returning to the subject of Party No. 2: the Passenger Station Diorama....Recolor the rock abutment and creek walls....Finish the foliage....Add some more details to and around the station structure.

~~ RailRon -- I'll try to install a sky backdrop along the wall.

~~ emt49 -- 1 finish cleaning out the old layout...2 start bulding the new layout 4 tables 8 foot long by 3 foot wide....3 lay track and wire switches.

~~~~ Here is the link to the Starting Thread!

The Rules:

~~~ Anything Model related is ok...

~~~ Pics are always a good thing (Eye Candy isn't fattening)

~~~ You have to have some idea on what you can do in 1 month or 6 weeks It feels good to actually accomplish something like this!

~~~ H A V E :) F U N!!! -- If you ain't enjoying it....You ain't doing it right!!!!!!!!!!

:D :D :D ALLLLLLLLLLL ABOARRRRRRRRRD!!!!!!!!!!!! :D :D :D

spitfire

Saturday, Jan. 15/05

Dear Diary,

The Gauge layout party starts today - whoo-hoo!! I spent a couple hours this afternoon putting a coat of primer on 2 sheets of 4'x8' homasote. I think I might need another piece - oh great! I nearly busted a gut getting these 2 into the house.
Now I'm playing around with the benchwork diagram, trying to see if I can get away with the 2 sheets I already have, since I don't even remember where I bought them, it was so long ago. One good thing - they seem none the worse for having spent 6 months in the garage!

Val

F

Fred_M

I will play too. I'm just going to try and finish projects in various stages of completion and maybe start a few new ones too. I have been roofing a coaling tower the last few days. It is one of the triplets left over form the three I built up a while back. I'm finishing this as a small On30 tower to feed my Shay. It was built to be a medium small HO, but will now be a small O, but Shay's didn't burn much coal so it should be fine. Here it what it looks like now, it's one of the three. The other two are finished and live with friends. Fred

abn.jpg

I spent most of the day cutting apart the tree branches and shaping them into trees. I had trouble waiting for the party to start. I did try a couple before to get the right procedure to make them. I got about 3 dozen done today plus a bunch more cut out. Here are the pictures of them drying.
jan11154zv.jpg

Joepomp

Cheap trucks!!!

I found these at KBee Toys for $2.99. The Pacific Fruit truck is a $15.00 Athern model. The Shop Rite I found in Shop Rire , oddly enough $2.99. the rest were $2.99 at KBee toys. I couldent resist the Helicopter. The detial is not quite that of the $15.00 model but it good enough for me. :)

Joepomp

AGRRRRRRR!!!@#@465^^#&*(***!!

:mad: UH Sorry the file was to big. Let me know if you want to see more detials.

Attachments

• DSCF0026.jpg
    DSCF0026.jpg
    63.3 KB · Views: 398

TomPM

Another Fried Egg Fan
Here are my starting shots for the Passenger Station Diorama.

First one shows the diorama from the front. You can see some earlier attempts on the rock coloring.

Attachments

• psda2g.jpg
    psda2g.jpg
    63.1 KB · Views: 394

TomPM

Another Fried Egg Fan
In the last two photos you can see where some trees have been pulled up. Our new kitten did some and then I realized that many of the trees were loose and would come out on their own if they were touched. So I finished what the cat had started.

First thing will be painting the rock walls white and starting the coloring process again.

emt49

~~ emt49 --
1 finish cleaning out the old layout... DONE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:cool:

2 start bulding the new layout 4 tables 8 foot long by 3 foot wide.. will be done sunday after noon/night i am a night owil i work nights so your night is my day

..3 lay track and wire switches

hopefully i will have the money to bye all the switches in the next one to three weeks

i dont have a digital camra so i will have to get the picks on disk then load them to the foram so thay will be here but late :thumb:

Ray Marinaccio

I dug out a few of the locomotives I want to finish to decide where to start.
The stock MDC 0-6-0T will only need disassembled and painted.

Attachments

• Jan16^06.JPG
    Jan16^06.JPG
    60.5 KB · Views: 194

Ray Marinaccio

The modified 0-6-0T will get some more details like hand railings, extending the running boards above the cylinders and steps to the pilot before painting.

Attachments

• Jan16^07.JPG
    Jan16^07.JPG
    46.4 KB · Views: 188

Ray Marinaccio

This Athearn GP7 will get grab irons, lift rings, coupler lift bars, MU hoses, sun shades and a PC paint job.
The other one will be stock other than the paint.
The Athearn GP35s are painted black and need the BN green sprayed on and decals applied.
I also found a pair of Athearn F7s and an A-B-A set of AHM C-liner shells that I want to paint in Pennsy colors.
Today I built 2 dummy chassis for the C-liners and plan to build a powered chassis for the lead unit.

Attachments

• Jan16^05.JPG
    Jan16^05.JPG
    56.1 KB · Views: 193
F

Fred_M

Good start guys!!!

I got the roof on and a chute glued up and installed. The roof was first tar papered from newsprint, but I didn't like the look so I put wood shingles over it. I like that better. Fred

aei.jpg

aej.jpg

seanm

Helix started!!

Background: This is an N-Scale layout. It is two decks around the wall. Layout plans are posted all over the place so I won't post them here. I am building a helix to get between the two levels. The curves are going to be something like 19" radius... and there will be a 1 foot strait section on each side of a lap.. Grade works out to right at 2%. I think I will need about 6 laps.. maybe more. Inspiration for the design came from a model mag that recently published something similar. I believe I will be using the threaded rod sort of support system so I can tune the grade.

Here is where the helix will be.... minus the dirty cloths!!

helix1.med.JPG

I am using 1/2 ACX plywood ripped into 4" strips that will make up the helix. It will be an elongated hexagon shape... I guess that sort of make is a dexagon? I can get 6 pieces from each 4" wide strip. 12 strips per 4x8 sheet... so 72 pieces per sheet.
helix2.med.JPG

The first one will be a template...

helix3.med.JPG

The rise is about 19" between levels.. Here you can see the levels. The helix will be behind the background boards... where the pile of cloths are. :p

helix4.med.JPG

I am not sure how fast I will post pictures of progress... but if you want to see the latest pics BEFORE I get them up here, plus any that don't make The Gauge cut, check out my web site here.