Gauge Layout party No. 4

N Gauger

1:20.3 Train Addict
Well - Sept 25th won.... So - we'll run it from now until November 13th :)

An extra week :)

Ray Marinaccio -- HO & N Scenery

Matthyro -- Scenery & Landscaping

N Gauger - - Scenery in G

Freelancer -- Module

TomPM -- General Construction

Catt! -- General Construction

Lighthorseman -- Track work

If anyone else wants to join, Hop on Board!! :) :) And post here!!!

Have fun everyone :) :)

TomPM

Another Fried Egg Fan
Here is my before photos for my intended project for the party. I am going to try to weather and do some minor detailing of a steam locomotive. This locomotive is an 0-8-0 IHC Switcher with Lehigh & New England road name. I acquired this locomotive from Ebay at a price I could not walk away from. Since I already have another of these I figured that this would be a good candidate for this.

Here is a full length view of the locomotive.
awp.jpg

Need to do something with this plastic coal load.
awq.jpg

TomPM

Another Fried Egg Fan
A little closer view of the locomotive showing the boiler and siderods that I will be trying to weather.
awr.jpg

The number will need to be changed and hopefully add an engineer and crew to the locomotive.
aws.jpg

ddavidv

Yeah, I'll sign up too.
My layout is on 'hold' while I'm building a Ntrak module. I have the table done, the track laid, some of the wiring in place. Not photogenic, so no pics just yet. I have a meeting on the 5th so need to make some progress or the others will ban me from the club. :p
I bought a structure kit on Saturday to provide an industry for my siding, so I have that to work on.
Hope to accomplish basic ground cover, ballasting, and get some mountains going. :thumb:

belg

Guys I'm alittle confused what exactly is this about? Another get together or am I way of base here? Pat :confused:

N Gauger

1:20.3 Train Addict
belg said:
Guys I'm alittle confused what exactly is this about? Another get together or am I way of base here? Pat :confused:

Belg - it's just a way of getting everyone to pay a little attention to details on the layouts. We get a few volunteers to sign on & "pledge" to try to do a bit of work on some aspect of Model RRing. It can be anything you want to do, in a 7 week period. We are "here" for each other if you have questions - or just some good words of how something looks. Also if you see something that youl ike you can build something like it for your own layout. :)

F

Fred_M

So here was where I was yesterday on an O scale coaling tower I'm doing for a buddy.
acl.jpg

I put on a pulley I got from jon monon's lathe and rigged it with some yarn and wires and stuff from the junk box.

acp.jpg

Next I need to build the lift. Fred

F

Fred_M

Thanks Mikey and Tom. Tom, may i have a photo of you water tank. I wanna do some of them next. This is the 4th coaling tower in 2 months and I need to build something else next.

I made a ladder out of wood and worked on the lift some. Fred

acq.jpg

That's some awesome detail! :thumb: I like how the nails are rusted out. Gives it a very realistic look! If only I could incorporate something like that into my japanese layout! :rolleyes:

r/
-doc

F

Fred_M

Thanks, but why not Doc? I know they used steam and pretty sure they used coal. If memory serves they used them up until quite recently in fact (by US standards). Some towers still stand today in the USA, there are a couple concrete ones within an hours drive from where I live. So why wouldn't there be some in Japan? I don't know, just asking. Leave the chute off and board it up with no ladders and a almost gone walkway. Weather it a whiter gray than I do. Sure it would work. Fred

Ray Marinaccio

I still need to get supplies but got started anyway.
I installed a liner in the tunnel and made a retaining wall from card stock.

Attachments

• Sep28003.JPG
    Sep28003.JPG
    60.9 KB · Views: 168
dash10 said:
Thanks, but why not Doc? I know they used steam and pretty sure they used coal. If memory serves they used them up until quite recently in fact (by US standards). Some towers still stand today in the USA, there are a couple concrete ones within an hours drive from where I live. So why wouldn't there be some in Japan?
Dash10,

you are totally correct, but I am modeling a portion of the tokyo / kanagawa metropolitian areas present day. I will definitely keep that idea in mind for my next layout (I have to at least lay the track for my present plan before I can start worrying about structures for my next:( ). That's the good thing about message boards....you can go back and get/retrieve ideas from years ago! I'm still trying to process the tons of info from this board's years worth of archives! Thanks for the help though dash! I thought I was the only one in this forum that was interested in japanese trains.

v/r,
-doc

TomPM

Another Fried Egg Fan
Fred

Go ahead and copy any picture you want from the Water Tower Diorama. Or do you need some specialized photos?

Just remember the water tower was a Model Power kit and thus pretty lean on deatails.