Gauge Boxcar-World Tour '03

spitfire

Jul 28, 2002
Toronto, Canada
www.parkdaleyard.com
Raider, those are some nice-looking photos you have on your site. If you hadn't included that overall view I would never have guessed that your layout was a 4x8!! It looks much bigger in the individual photos - in fact it looks like the real thing! Nice work.

Val

eightyeightfan1

Now I'm AMP'd
Jun 18, 2002
Torrington, Ct.
I only got as far as the "Toronto meet" as far as mileage. Didn't know the distance between the homes it went to. If you can tell me, I'll refigure it, but yeah, would be fun to know. Maybe a map showing the route it took? I'll work on that also.

Rail miles is undetermable as I don't know the size of layouts. If those people could tell me I could figure that out also. Also, such as my picture, some people might of just placed it for photos.

eightyeightfan1

Now I'm AMP'd
Jun 18, 2002
Torrington, Ct.
"Big Blue" UPDATE

As suggested by Chris, here's an update of the traveling Gauge car's travels.

In the last nine months, Gauge car, GAUG#105371, has visited 16 layouts, one which was featured in Model Railroader magazine.

Actual mileage traveled is 6853 miles(How many "Ks" is that Chris?), 65 miles and four layouts being done in one night.

The most mileage was between Ottawa and Edmonton, being 2194 miles.

The shortest so far is between Toronto and Ottawa at 277 miles.

Mileage left before heading over the Big Pond for its European leg of its journey is 6627 miles. That could be modified if new members sign up.

Scale mile has yet to be determind. Don't know the size of individual layouts.

New member wishing to be part of this historical event can PM me, and I'll add you to the list.

TinGoat

Ignorant know it all
~3 feet...

Originally posted by interurben
OK Ed sounds like a plan.
At a close guess I would say from Ron to Vals 10 k`s Val to me
30ks me to Glen 6 ks glen to Brian 8 ks, Brian back to Vals 45 ks
= 99ks = 1 ks = 5/8 mile = 65 miles approx.

Track scale miles???? Help

The HV&S Emery Creek diarama is only about 30 inches long...

That's just over 250 scale feet.....

As far as actual miles....

I brought the boxcar from home to work (Where I built the diarama during my lunch breaks, and where I took the photos..) and then from work to Val's... So that would be about 24 miles as the Transit Flies...

The honour of interchanging the Gauge box car would certainly be appreciated in this corner of Canada. I have camera equipped railfans that could be bus'd in to capture such an event.

I did PM asking to be out on the list, aaah but did I PM the right person?

eightyeightfan1

Now I'm AMP'd
Jun 18, 2002
Torrington, Ct.
Yep...You got the right person.
Just haven't had the chance to pm you back.
It'll be heading out to the "left" coast shortly.
One stop in California, plus I have to add the mileage.

TR-Flyer

Nov 24, 2001
SC
Visit site
Hi all:
The Gauge boxcar and cargo arrived safe and sound yesterday. Expect to run it next weekend at the Greenberg Charlotte show.

88Fan1, the logo is starting to flake off on one side, would you like me to get out my rapidiographs and touch it up a bit?

Keeping it Gauged in the new south.

Ted

TR-Flyer

Nov 24, 2001
SC
Visit site
Hi All:
Well The-Gauge boxcar made the rounds of the Greenberg Charlotte show this past weekend. The folks at both of the other layouts at the show were kind enough to grant The-Gauge ROW passage rights on their routes so there's a variety of locales shown in the following photos. I had some pull with the third layout's crew and i'll post them last. Hope you like them.

First up are two from the Concord Area Model Railroaders modular layout. This one is a portion of "Smallville" built by Joe Orzit. He says eventually he'll have "you know who" in a phone booth down by the tracks.

Attachments

• gauge boxcar 002-2.jpg
    gauge boxcar 002-2.jpg
    59.7 KB · Views: 103

TR-Flyer

Nov 24, 2001
SC
Visit site
The next two shots are of the Sippin' 'N Switchin' Society of NC's layout. Both are taken of their newest module, a three section 18-foot radius curve. The-Gauge boxcar was part of a sixty-five car consist. This shot is looking east towards the dock where some folks are takin' a dip in Lazy Creek.

Attachments

• gauge boxcar 004-2.jpg
    gauge boxcar 004-2.jpg
    63.2 KB · Views: 115

TR-Flyer

Nov 24, 2001
SC
Visit site
This one is looking west across Lazy Creek towards the overpass. It's hard to capture the scope of this layout in a couple shots.

Attachments

• gauge boxcar 005-2.jpg
    gauge boxcar 005-2.jpg
    59.9 KB · Views: 107

TR-Flyer

Nov 24, 2001
SC
Visit site
These next couple required a bit-o slight-o-hand since the ACSG modular layout is "S" gauge. Turned the boxer into a "container load", hope non of you "little scalers" is too offended by this, and if y'are, well,.........:p

THis one shows an S-Helper SW-9 putting the consist together on the siding while local and express passenger trains whiz by.

Attachments

• gauge boxcar 006-2.jpg
    gauge boxcar 006-2.jpg
    65.1 KB · Views: 109

TR-Flyer

Nov 24, 2001
SC
Visit site
Last one, The SW-9 pulling her out of the siding for a run to the interchange yard nearby. There, to be transformed back into proper scale for the rest of her journey 'round the world.

Thanks for including me on the stops for this neat event. Will get my instructions from headquarters and ship her out in the morning.

Regards,
Ted

Attachments

• gauge boxcar 007-2.jpg
    gauge boxcar 007-2.jpg
    61.2 KB · Views: 94