GATS Show, Indianapolis

Vic

Feb 1, 2002
Columbus GA
Visit site
I've just plain quit going to the big shows....nothing but the same dealers....the same merchandise and everybody trying to grab a buck.

The smaller shows are still great!:D ....Buy, Sell, Swap, Bargain and Haggle:D :D :D :D I'll be hitting one in Dothan AL next week end if we don't get socked by Hurricane Isadore:eek:

Jim de Bree

Jan 21, 2002
Valencia, CA
Visit site
Vic:

Things must be a lot different in the south. I went to the GATS show in Ventura, California which is about an hour and a half up the coast from LA. Not a large show--it was terrible.

A friend of mine went to the GATS show in Victorville, a medium sized town in the Mojave desert between LA & Vegas. His experience was comparable to mine.

The vendors had a very limited selection of stuff at or near list price (one guy was actually trying to sell stuff at prices in excess of Walthers catalog price). eek: The only other stuff was broken down junk that was pricey as well. No interesting vendors and very mediocre layouts.::confused:

I hate to sound like such a downer, but based on the experiences of several local modelers, it was not worht the price of admission.:(

Jim

Vic

Feb 1, 2002
Columbus GA
Visit site
Hi Jim, Yep we have us a good 'ol time:D :D :D at the small shows in Alabama and N. Florida. Usually its a club or just a group of folks that put them on. We even have one here in Feb. We all bring our junk and "don't wants" and make a day of it. Come on down sometimes and railroad with "Bubba" and the rest of the Rednecks:D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

Vic

Feb 1, 2002
Columbus GA
Visit site
Hi T, The show will be at the fairgrounds where they hold the peanut festival. Its on US231 South outside of Dothan. I forget the name of the place but its huge and you can't miss it.

Not to be discouraging but that's gonna be a 650 + mile round trip for you. :( Its only about a 150 mile round trip for me:) Its a very small show and you might be disappointed. If the weather turns sour because of the hurricane in the gulf then it will be a "bust":(

Directions: I-75 to Atlanta. I-85 South to Opelika, AL. Pickup US 280/431 South to Phenix City AL. Take US 431 South to Dothan and pick up US231 South toward Panama City, FL. Fairgrounds is on the right outside of Dothan.

Vic

Feb 1, 2002
Columbus GA
Visit site
Hi T, :D :D :D Don't blame you a bit!!! I wouldn't drive that either:D :D :D

Maybe we can get together at one of the shows in Marietta or Atlanta....that's about equal distance for the both of us.

Vic

Feb 1, 2002
Columbus GA
Visit site
Trainshow Report

Hi T, Well the show in Dothan was pretty good although there was no narrow gauge stuff this time. Seems that the predominate scale this time was N scale...boy was there a ton of that there.:D Turn out was a bit low...probably due to the weather earlier in the week as Dothan is only about 60 miles from the Gulf Coast.

I managed to pick up a bag full of Grandt Line details parts real cheap and some 6 position rotary switches that I had been looking for. Had a good time and got to see some folks I hadn't seen in awhile. Spent more for lunch than I did on trains!!:D :D :D

t. alexander

Jun 20, 2002
Attalla Al.
Visit site
Vic, sounds like a day well spent.
Funny how those "do's" are all about lunch. At least to my wife.:D she won't step foot in the local hobby shop but the last train show I drug her to she had a great time at. I ended up spending my mad money on a Nscale loco and bag full of track that she just had to have. Oh and then it was time for lunch....at a resturant!
:rolleyes: :D

t.