Gaming model and Paper model

Discussion in 'Gallery & Designs' started by NOBI, Feb 23, 2005.

1. NOBI

NOBI Active Member

Hi There,

After i saw thread about Johnny five from GEEDUBBYA http://www.cardmodels.net/phpbb2/viewtopic.php?t=1772 he click me an idea to make paper model from gaming model. i saw possible to make paper model from gaming model, first is gaming model is low polygon model what can apply to papermodel easily, second gaming model have a very cool texture mapping to make a good looking model too. so let's try to do...

I browse to website where GEEDUBBYA talking to "Polycount" website what hae many gaming character inside, i choose ATST character from Starwar what gamer port it into Quake's model. u can d/l ATST model at http://www.planetquake.com/polycount/downloads/index.asp?model=12

after that i convert ATST model into format what i can manage with. i use Deep Exploration to convert Quake's model into wave front model or .OBJ, Deep Exploration can convert texture of that model too.

then....3dmodel ready to manage and choose some program what can use with that model and compatible with unfold program like pepakura. i think many people know what program i will use. yes, metaseq. i import .obj file into metaseq like picture below

[​IMG]

and i reduce polygon of that model use "Wire" function. make triangle into recangle to make pepakura work easily

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

u will see clean model what easy to unfold in pepakura but not yet in this time. we have anothing to do.

[​IMG]

see picture below? why that ATST's leg look mess like that. maybe becasue some error when deep exploration convert model. so i need to re-work at that part :)

[​IMG]

first at all...split all part. when begining, we have only 1 layer contain all part of model but make it easy to work, we must split all into each part.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

after split all part let's see at leg, we will see some part what no need to re-work. keep it :D

[​IMG]

look closer at leg...wow must be a lot of work to do in that part

[​IMG]

so i decide to make new leg with "Create" function

[​IMG]

see result...look good?

[​IMG]

i see a leg's join and im not like the way of that jointpresent. so i make new one with "Primitive" function with cylinder.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

new leg's join finish...look cool?

[​IMG]

now leg's join and leg is over lapping. that no good for papermodel. so i must use boolean function to intersect that part out. Boolean function is plugin what not present in shareware version. u must register metaseq to enable that function.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

after finish work on one leg, no need to make in another side just clone it with "Clone" function

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

after clone...re-arrange part into its place

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

look at side gun, i see no good looking gun so i make a new one use "primitive" function again

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

go to top door. it is not good looking again...i just modified some to make it look good with "Join" function.

[​IMG]

now model is ready to unfold :D

[​IMG]

and go to pepakura to unfold

[​IMG]

after click unfold button

[​IMG]

and after re-arrange part

[​IMG]

someone said...just only in computer program and that model can assemble? so i print beta ATST iwith no color for u :D

[​IMG]

well, my ATST can stand :D (please look only on my ATST :p , my desk is mess and no good looking) welcome for all comment and suggestion or advise to improve this technics.
  2. wunwinglow

wunwinglow Active Member

Just excellent example of thinking through a sequence to get what the designer wants! Brilliant stuff, NOBI. But then, no more than we expect from you!

Tim P
  3. rkelterer

rkelterer Member

great ! unfortunately I use only the free version without object join/intersection/minus/union :cry:

now I have to to a lot of exercise ....

greetings from austria
    raimund
  4. Gil

Gil Active Member

Nice work Nobi!

Nice design tutorial from start to finish.

Gil
  5. Jimi

Jimi Member

Absolutely stunning. :D i was surprised that nobi can do sci fi models too! hehehe. If your desk is messy, you have to take a look at the garages, library, design room, living room, kitchen, bedrooms and even the garden of our house! our house is a total wreck! hahaha!
  6. FredZ KSAC

FredZ KSAC Member

Nobi, That was a very neat lesson! Have you given any thought to making this available? There are a LOT of Star Wars fanatics around.
    Later,
  7. wunwinglow

wunwinglow Active Member

Remember, a tidy office is a sign that you have nothing better to do than tidy your office.....

Tim P
  8. NOBI

NOBI Active Member

FredZ, u know a website where have all information about Star War's Vehicle? i want to make Star War model but in accurate dimension :D

I have that ATST in PDO file, i will post to d/l soon :D
  9. GEEDUBBYA

GEEDUBBYA Active Member

Hey Guys, and specifically NOBI,

Man you are something else, lol. I recently downloaded the freeware version of metasequoia and pepakura and not knowing much about it, thought there was no way I could ever make it useful for what I might need, except maybe the occasional christmas ornament, of "picture cube" for the girlfriend. (I did however score like a gazillion brownie points with her). But, I started looking thru *.lwo and *.obj and *.mqo and *.dxf files on the net for free, and I am slowly figuring out how to manipulate then with these programs. I have even learned to use them in conjustion with my photo editing program for such projects as the picture cubes, but, I can see I have a long way to go before I am doing what you have done in the 3-4 days since I posted that link.
    You trully amazed me, you "broke down, reconstructed, redesigned and unwrapped as well as printed and constructed the model of the at-at in that short length of time.
    And Guys, I dont know how many of you have had a chance to speak with NOBI, and I have only had limited time with him thru pm's in here, but he is one of the most helpful persons I have met online ever. If you get a chance, please be sure and stop by his website and look around, He has some great looking kits there and several freebies.

visit his site at: www.thaipaperworks.com

thanks NOBI,

-GEEDUBBYA
  10. Bowdenja

Bowdenja Active Member

Thanks for the lesson Nobi!! You are "THE MAN"!
  11. jleslie48

jleslie48 Member

Nobi,

this is a wonderfull walk-thru a metasequoia session I will have to study this
    further and see if I can do this. Thanks so much for taking the time to
    do this.

sincerely,

Jon
  12. NOBI

NOBI Active Member

Hi There,

Many request for this AT-ST so i make instruction and this is a result

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Go to d/l AT-ST at http://thaipaperwork.com

Enjoy modeling
  13. cecil_severs

cecil_severs Member

Nobi,

I have but one question. When do you sleep? You are very quickly becoming to designing what David T. Okamura is to building! Keep up the phenomenal work and keep having fun!

Just a suggestion for my fellow cardmodelers, when you download this latest freebie from Nobi, consider also buying at least one of his other creations. They are all a great value for the money

Cecil
  14. doc_harvey

doc_harvey Member

is this model gone?

I'm guessing that this model isn't available anymore?? Was there some conflict about copyrights?
  15. GEEDUBBYA

GEEDUBBYA Active Member

Howdy Doc,

The model was/is still availible in the parts bin, However, the "parts Bin" isnt availible right now since the changing of website servers. But Rick has stated that that is something they are trying to remedy. So you may ask NOBI for a copy of it, send him a private mess.

Have a good day,

Greg
  16. NOBI

NOBI Active Member

17. tausugAir

tausugAir Member

Hi, Nobi .... Is there no end to what you can pull out from your card design "Magician Hat"? Besides, this is one of your greatest Metaseq tutorials! Thanks for the Model and the tutorial.....Regards...

Muhammad
  18. NOBI

NOBI Active Member

Hi Mohammed,

Thank you very much, package arrive yet?
  19. tausugAir

tausugAir Member

Hi, Nobi ... Not yet but IT will (I'm positive) any day now. Many thanks

Regards... Muhammad