[gallery] Dewoitine D-520 Orlik

Discussion in 'Aircraft & Aviation' started by KPawel, Jul 22, 2007.

1. KPawel

KPawel New Member

Hello everybody!

I'd like to present my latest model. It is an "Orlik" issue, project of Mr.Dziegielewski. I used laser-cut formers from Draf-Model. In general most of the elements fit together pretty nicely. Assembly drawings are very far from being sufficient though (for me at least :)), so that there is a lot of "guesswork" in getting many elements into their final shape. I wasn't happy with the proposed shape of wing-fuselage transition fillet as well as the first fuselage segment from the front, so I decided to modify them a bit. The kit offers the engine maquette as well as armament compartments' interiors, but I like the aircraft model to show their perfect lines unspoiled by any open interiors.
    Here are some photos:

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

Greetings!
    Pawel
  2. dansls1

dansls1 Member

Nice looking model - good job!
  3. barry

barry Active Member

You got the perfect lines with this one superb build
  4. DrBill

DrBill Member

Absolutely beautiful build! How did you do the prop spinner and canopy?
  5. KPawel

KPawel New Member

Thanks for your nice comments!
    DrBill: prop spinner is standard kit piece (leaves-like mesh), smoothed with cyanoacrylic glue and re-painted.
    Canopy is also made the standard way as the kit prescribes - some foil for binding documents was used as "glass". No forging or vacu-forming, all the surfaces are "unfoldable". In fact this is one of the worst elements of the model and that's because I tried to make it more clear by applying clear cote on top of the glass. Unfortunately when canopy was masked for spray-painting of the whole model, the cote layer on the canopy 'wrinkled' in some spots. I hoped to improve it by second layer of cote, but it only made matters worse...
  6. cgutzmer

cgutzmer Guest

Beautiful build. Thanks for sharing so many pics with us!
    Chris
  7. milenio3

milenio3 Active Member

This is a great built! Thanks for sharing.
    Now, you said "The kit offers the engine maquette as well as armament compartments' interiors, but I like the aircraft model to show their perfect lines unspoiled by any open interiors."... So. is it up to you if you want the engine or not?

I have an Orlik kit in sight I haven't buy, because I though I had to build the engine. But if it's an option, well, I can do it. I don't feel all that capable of constructing an engine... yet.
  8. KPawel

KPawel New Member

Yes, the engine in this kit was optional. There are optional formers for front section of fuselage as well as some supporting framework to be used if you want to build the engine. Also the ailerons, flaps and other steering surfaces can be made as separate elements (like I did) or just left as integral part of wings (simple version).
  9. milenio3

milenio3 Active Member

Great... then I{m off for my next kids.

Thanks!
  10. Wily

Wily Member

Excellent work - your craftsmanship is evident.

:)