Galileo Shuttlecraft from Star Trek

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by bgt01, Jul 7, 2015.

1. bgt01

bgt01 Exemplary Confidant

DISPLAY

The final step for me on this trek (see what I did there?) was to create a display base that looked like the scene from “The Galileo Seven” when the Galileo is first seen on Tarsus II. The actual base is an old picture frame with the glass removed. The frame sits face down so the back is the “ground.” I cut a piece of foam core to size for the ground. I found a picture of dirt that looked like the dirt on the original soundstage, printed it on card and glued it to the foam core. Using screen caps from the episode and Photoshop I made files to recreate the soundstage rocks. I printed these on card and glued them to 2mm chipboard. I Super Glued bamboo skewers to the back of the rocks and pushed them into the foam core where I wanted them. The rocks aren’t exactly in the same as they were in the episode due to the size of the display.

The final touch was to add the crew. Again, I used screen caps from various episodes for the crew. I scaled them to size, printed them on card and glued them to 2mm chipboard. After a lot of slow, tedious trimming, I edge colored them, glued bamboo skewers on and pushed them into place. And, yes, I know I have more than seven crew and it’s unlikely the entire senior staff would go on a landing party…but I don’t care. It looks cool! I wanted the display to have that ’70s cardboard pop-up-toy-feel like old playsets of the day. If I’d had this when I was a kid I’d have played the crap out of it!:biggrin:

And with that, I’m calling it a wrap for the Galileo. I still need to tweak the door, but all in all, I’m pretty pleased with the model. As usual in hindsight I see lots of things that could be improved on: better centerline molding, better pylons, better pylon bracing, better door hinging, actual retracting landing gear with recesses in the engines and hull, more detailed rear landing gear, removable roof, lights….ARGH!:hammerhead: But to be fair, this is a great model as is. All it really needed was a more accurate repaint and a better interior, which I think I gave it. My thanks to Joerg Stammen for creating a really fun model to build. If any of you have this model I encourage you to build and improve on it.:)

Attached Files:

2. blake7

blake7 Member

That really turned out GREAT! :Bravo:
    I love your dorama, but who beamed down from the Enterprise? The shuttle crew holds seven, and your dorama has nine people. I know the women beamed down to see what the guys did to the shuttle.;):)
    bgt01 likes this.
  3. Revell-Fan

Revell-Fan Co-Administrator Administrator Moderator

Absolutely terrific!!! Georgeous and ingenious!!! I LOVE IT!!!
    bgt01 likes this.
  4. DanBKing

DanBKing Dan the Man

Super work ! thumbsup
    bgt01 likes this.
  5. zathros

zathros -----SENIOR---- Administrator Moderator

Very nice, though the inertia dampeners must have failed. It's amazing they can still survive!! All kidding aside, I am happy you built this model, it is one I have not seen built in a long time, and is quite fantastic, as is your build, and your build thread, textbook! :)
    bgt01 likes this.
  6. spaceagent-9

spaceagent-9 Right Hand Man and Confidant Moderator

that looks great!
    bgt01 likes this.
  7. THE DC

THE DC Member

Excellent work and well done build thread!
    bgt01 likes this.
  8. reddwarf

reddwarf Member

Hello, How did you re-do the stripes, I have re-painted as close to yours (which looks great I might add) but I'm stuck on the red line and yellow piece. What font did you use. Thanks
  9. Rhaven Blaack

Rhaven Blaack ADMINISTRATOR Administrator Moderator

You did a FANTASTIC JOB on this project! The diorama looks GREAT!
    KEEP UP THE GREAT WORK!!!
  10. spaceagent-9

those are cool, nice and white and shiny!
  11. zathros

My son realy played hard with this model when I built it. I didn't see him grab it, but he did so the second I finished. I went to one room of the house, came back, and it was in his hand, and he was imitating a landing. It was his at that point. He was very young and roughed it up, but it kicked around the house, with me shaping and gluing it back to a very battle worn shuttle craft for two or three years!! When I finally tossed it, I was kind of sad. I will build this model again. :)
  12. Revell-Fan

You could have saved it to display a crash-landing. ;)
    zathros likes this.
  13. Lee Clifton

Lee Clifton Wisdom and Kindness, A Zealot Sage

Very nice build and diorama. I may have to attempt building it. I've got a couple of Star Trek 6 inch figures of Spock and Kirk.
  14. spaceagent-9

15. Revell-Fan

I love these simple designs from the past. They can be replicated so easily. :)
  16. zathros

It ended up very very flat. I think he finally just sat on it, or my wife did, which would be a more viable outcome based on how thin it was. :)
  17. Revell-Fan

Maybe... it was hit by a rock? ;) :D