Fruit Stand... almost...

DeckRoid

It's almost complete. I started this way back in the spring. I even took it and my tackle box of tools/balsa wood on a cruise in May.

The plans came from Railroad Model Craftsman.

Here you see the building painted white then weathered with an India Ink/alcohol wash. I am needing some guidence/assistance with the transfers from my printer. They are not coming out like I had hoped. The look too new. I have to figure out how to make them look faded and what not. I am trying on test pieces of balsa that I painted white.

Anywhoo... here are the pics. Sorry for the pic quality.

fruit stand 1.jpg

fruit stand 2.JPG

fruit stand 3.jpg

fruit stand 4.JPG

George

Ralph

Remember...it's for fun!
I like it! Good rustic look. It'll be great with some signs on it. I've heard of people lighting sanding the signs to make them thinner and a little worn. Perhaps some dusting with pastel chalks will dull them down as well.

Nifty little structure!
Ralph

Nazgul

George....I like it!!!:thumb::thumb: Looks like a perfect little stand:thumb:

When you say "transfers" from your printer, do you mean signs that you printed on regular paper or some type of decal?

If paper, than I would follow Ralph's advice......you might try LIGHTLY sanding the front of the sign as well with very fine sandpaper (just enough to take a little of the ink away).

If decals...they would be applied before the weathering process.

I am assuming however, that you are talking about paper signs:winker:.

Again.....NICE WORK
KEEP IT UP!

GO NP!:thumb::winker:

DeckRoid

Hey guys

Thanks for your comments. I added some balsa wood dust to the paint for the grainy look of the paint. It came out really rustic/old looking. When I sanded it down, it was too smooth and looked spanking new, so I had to do something.

With regards as to signs... I have tried both decal paper and white paper. I read about sanding the paper signs, but haven't tried that yet. As for the decal paper, I tried giving the sign a patina in photoshop before printing, but the printer still had it come out looking like a new sign. Another example of looks great on the computer screen, but printed out it looks very much different.

I will try the sanding tonight and see what happens. I think it was in the last NRMA magazine, there was an article on scraping the back of the decals with a flat razor balde... #9? ... before applying. They made it look really nice.

Anyways. Thanks for the encouragement.

George

cnw1961

.....and I like it too :thumb:. George, you did a great job. The fruit stand has the right rustic, "worn" look. I am looking forward to seeing it finished with the signs and some juicy fruits. :wave:

Russ Bellinis

If decals come out looking too new, you can always weather the entire building with a thin wash of white acrylic paint thinned about 10 to 1 then dull coat it. The white won't be apparent on the signs but will tone the "newness" down quite a bit.

MasonJar

It's not rocket surgery
Nice work. Great board-by-board construction - it has just the right look!

:thumb: :thumb:

Andrew

Mountain Man

Looks great! I particularly like to slight 'lean' to one side, just like most of those structures did after awhile. :thumb:

Looks good to me.
Dab a little "White Out" ( typing correction stuff) on it here & there & you will have perfect "peeling paint" .

What kind of fruit do you plan to have on display ?
There is a seed for seasoning ( can't remember the name but if you want I'll try to look for it) that makes absoultely perfect Bannanas in HO scale, just paint em yellow. We did a whole boat load of them on the Tooles Springs & Western Ramona Bay wharf scene. One guy was going to try to mold them with sculpy till I found a bottle of them in the grocery store--- much easier!

Mountain Man

Looks good to me.
Dab a little "White Out" ( typing correction stuff) on it here & there & you will have perfect "peeling paint" .

What kind of fruit do you plan to have on display ?
There is a seed for seasoning ( can't remember the name but if you want I'll try to look for it) that makes absoultely perfect Bannanas in HO scale, just paint em yellow. We did a whole boat load of them on the Tooles Springs & Western Ramona Bay wharf scene. One guy was going to try to mold them with sculpy till I found a bottle of them in the grocery store--- much easier!

Carroway?

Could be carroway Mountain Man -- sounds familiar, but I'm not sure now--- it was several years ago that we did it. I may even have the rest of the seeds somewhere. I'll check the spice isle at the store later today & get back to everybody. I know they weren't horribly expensive -- then -- who knows now. Darn sure would not want to buy them in Zimbaboway -- last night BBC news said they have 11 MILLION PERCENT inflation!!! :eek::cry: I can't even comprehend that !!

Packers#1

Ultimate Packers Fan
That looks really good. Perfect for an old roadside place. reminds me of a fruit place out near edgefield, SC.

DeckRoid

Thanks again for the good reviews...

I have made some fruit from milliput, and I have thought of painting seeds, not carroway though... that's a thought, and I have made some wee boxes from scale 2x4s. I don't have enough folks to people it, but that is coming.

I have been debating lighting it from inside. since it's not solid, I am worried about light seeping thru the cracks. I have thought of building a light box, if you will, to stick inside, behind a counter or something, made of thin styrene.

As to the shape of the building sagging... well, that was a lucky break on my part, literally... When I built one side, I had messured 29 scale feet. When I built the other side, for some odd reason, it was 29 1/2 feet. When I put it together, it didnt quite look right. I showed it to a pal in the club and he "smooshed" it together for me, thus creating a sagging tilt to the whole thing. He laughed and said that was his tried and true method for over 30 years of scratch building. "Makes it haggard looking..."

George

When I was looking for the carroway seeds I saw some round seeds , durned if I remember what they were, but a bit of orange & they would be great oranges, red would make them big tomatos. Bet you could find several more "fruits" in your local spice island.