Frost Fence

Drew Toner

Mar 2, 2002
McLennan, Alberta, Canada.
Visit site
I read Casey Feedwaters post about his structure, showing the frost fence, and he mentioned the use of bridal veil. Well I mentioned it to my friend today and she came back with a piece of 'Tulle' I'm sure it was enough to do 10 miles of frost fence. Here's what I did.

I cut my .020 wire into 7ft lengths, HO, and drilled #76 holes, 8ft apart, and glued the posts into the ground. Then I glued the top rail to the vertical rail using little dabs of 'super glue'.

Meanwhile, I had stretched the Tulle out on a cardboard box, pinned all the edges. Then I semi-dry brushed aluminum, a med grey and a bit of rust onto the cardboard box / tulle fabric. I was putting up a 6 1/2 ft fence, and found that the width of standard masking tape was about 1/16 to wide, close enough!! I placed two long strips of masking tape onto the fabric, and lightly pressed the tape onto the box.

Attachments

• page1.jpg
    page1.jpg
    36.6 KB · Views: 263

Drew Toner

Mar 2, 2002
Visit site
Page 2

I used my steel rule and a "new" blade to cut the tape away from the box. I cut two strips, and trimmed 1/16 from the edge of each piece. I used the exacto blade to start the corner of fabric, and pulled it from the tape. It is very tough and I had no problems with it tearing or stretching. I glued the fabric to one post at the open gate, dabbed it with glue, and then lightly pulled the fabric around the corner and down the side. I kept the fabric as close to the top rail as possible. I used very small scissors and flush cut nippers to trim the fabric and vertical posts, to be even with the top rail.

Attachments

• page 2.jpg
    page 2.jpg
    35.2 KB · Views: 253

Drew Toner

Mar 2, 2002
Visit site
Page 3

Now to do the two gates. With the Tulle still pinned down, I again cut my wire to 10ft top and bottom rails, and 6ft vertical end posts. First I slipped a "Ziploc" freezer bag under the Tulle hoping the glue wouldn't stick to it. I grabbed each piece of wire with the tweezers, dipped each end into the AC and set it onto the Tulle. I freehand cut two cross members as stretchers and glued them onto the gates. I pulled the plastic bag out from under the Tulle and to my 'glee' the AC hadn't stuck to the plastic, only the wire and fabric. I would have drawn a pattern onto the card board first, to keep the gate a little more square, but these are OK when glued down.

Attachments

• page 3.jpg
    page 3.jpg
    50.2 KB · Views: 245

Drew Toner

Mar 2, 2002
Visit site
Page 4 of 4

Then it was just a matter of gluing the gates to the fence corner posts. I took my pin with AC and tacked the fabric to the fence in various places to keep it a bit tighter to the fence. Having the fence loose, and wrinkled in a few spots, looks pretty normal to me!!

So next time you get a piece of that funny stuff that comes with flowers or at weddings, tuck it into your pocket and smile. Miles and miles of frost fence!!

:wave:

Attachments

• page 4.jpg
    page 4.jpg
    47.9 KB · Views: 250

George D

Aug 28, 2003
Yorktown, VA
Visit site
Excellent tutorial, Drew.:thumb:

I've made a couple chain link fences but I've built them on my workbench rather than on site. I soldered the frame together then laid the bridal veil on top and glued it to the frame. The method you used for the gates is similar to what I've done, but much better, since you get the tulle all straightened and stretched out before gluing the frame. That's the way I'm doing it from now on.

F

Fred_M

Good job. A method I use to attach the fence to the tubes is to spot it with CA like you did, then paint it all with Testor's silver enamal using a brush. When it's dry the paint sticks the vail to the tubes. I also do it on the bench and leave the poles about 1/2 inch long and push them into the scenery like pins to mount the fence. I also attach my gates with little pieces of copper wire so they can be opened and closed. FRED

shaygetz

May 2, 2003
www.freewebs.com
:thumb: :thumb: One way I cut tulle is to place it on scraps of shelf lining paper. Slightly tackier that the adhesive used on a Post-it note, it holds it in place while you cut it to your desired height and length.

satokuma

Jul 8, 2002
Tualatin, OR
Great fence Drew...question? What is a 'frost fence"? Any different than a 'chain-link fence"? Just curious, either way, it looks real good...I have a few pieces down on my 'N' scale RR but from commercial sources and wanted the 'barbed-wire" security on top as well. Wonder what one could use (in HO :D HO:D HO) to add this look to your great fencing already.:D

Drew Toner

Mar 2, 2002
Visit site
Thanks for all the comments, and I was pleased to hear other ideas as well. It was my first attempt using the stuff, and I had a specific place I needed it. But i would like to make panels to install at a latter date. So alot of your ideas will be great. I like the 'use paint as glue', allmost saves a step;) ;) ;)

Satokuma, pretty sure that frost and chain link are about the same type of fence. All I know is "don't stick your tounge on the frost" Some one else might correct me.

To make the security curl on top, you could wrap fine wire around a small diameter rod. Or use a 'hairy' jute type to look more pokey, dangerous, sharp and use dilute white glue to hold the curl shape.

:wave:
Drew

F

Fred_M

Originally posted by jon-monon
:thumb: :thumb: :thumb:

I think more common before recent times of razar wire, was to have three rows of barbed wire over the chain link, angled towards the "outside" at 45 degrees.
Or angled inward if you want to keep people in, like at a prision :) :) :) . I thinks frost fence v chain link is a regional thing like fish n chips v fish n fries. In cold climates chain link, er, I mean frost fence collects frost better than the windows on your car, They can be quite pretty during sunrise if you can ignore the freezing cold that created them. Burrr. FRED

ezdays

Out AZ way
Feb 3, 2003
Arizona
bigbluetrains.com
Drew,

Thanks for the how-to. I have a roll of Tulle I bought quite some time ago, but haven't had a chance to use it yet. This will help me when I do.

Fred,

Razor wire helps in either case, keeps em both in and out:thumb: :thumb:

Does anyone have any thoughts on how to make N scale razor wire?

F

Fred_M

Originally posted by ezdays

Does anyone have any thoughts on how to make N scale razor wire?
When I worked as a machinist sometimes lathe shavings would look like razor wire. They would cut you like it too! FRED