Front coupler

Hey Harley,
Obviously, my answer was partly facetious. I figured by now someone would have come up to bat on this one. I don't have any N-scale here to look at, but I am going to attempt this on a couple of IHC's in HO. :rolleyes:
Please keep in mind that this is strictly a generic opinion and untried. You have to determine where the draft gear box is going to be located height-wise and front-to-back. Then start hacking. A chisel Exacto blade is very useful, as is a Dremel tool. Those 19.95 generic "dremels" from Wal-mart work just fine.
You might find that there's nothing for the mounting screw to go into. You can add in a bit of styrene or aluminum with a tapped hole. It's a kitbash, after all.
I suspect that we'll find the appearance to be not exactly prototypical, but you gotta couple, right?
I hope someone who's done this or at least has one to look at will chip in for you.:D :D

sumpter250

multiscale modelbuilder
Jan 19, 2002
Vernon Hills, Illinois
Visit site
Yes, but it won't be pretty.

"Come to think of it,,, you can't get there from here"
Harley,
I happen to have one of the bachmann 2-8-0's, and just looked at it. The dummy coupler is easy to remove, it's a case of finding a coupler to replace it with, and then figuring out how to make it work ! Putting a front coupler on an HOn3 MDC 2-8-0 was a piece of cake compared to this, and you might have to compromise the same way I did, by having to manually couple and uncouple at the front end, using an unsprung,and modified replacement coupler.
If someone comes up with a viable option, I'd be willing to try it.
Pete

absnut

Oct 18, 2002
Maine
Visit site
If you go to N Scale Supply's site, find the page with the Spectrum 2-8-0, and they show a coupler mounted on the pilot. I believe it is the coupler from one set, and the pocket from another. I have three of the beasties but, I haven't plucked up the courage to do the pilot yet because, I believe, there's some cutting to do. The tender conversion was a snap.

Dick

Blake

Jul 19, 2002
Northern New Jersey
www.BlakeDTatar.com
I was fiddlin' with an MTL Z gauge coupler for my Kato 2-8-2. Should work out alright. I also started to file out the dummy coupler to accept a regular n scale MTL. I will have to be manually coupled and uncoupled but it will look great. I only plan to use the front coupler to do local switching with anyway. Haven't finished either one yet. Will let you know how it works out.

Drew1125

Jan 28, 2001
This is something I'm going to have to face in the near future also...If I don't manage to get a coupler on the front end of the 2-8-0, then I'm going to have to build a turntable, & I'm not sure I have the real estate available for that.
Just by looking, & without having tried any "plastic surgery" yet, I was wondering about a MT 1016...(body-mount, with medium shank)...? I don't know what might be in there that I could tap the screw into.
Anybody got this one figured out, let me know!
Oh well, I guess I'll jump off that bridge when I come to it!
In the meantime, I've got a bridge that needs to be BUILT!
:D :rolleyes: :D