Frog it , so I did

interurban

The Traction Layout main Line is being frogged.

Now although this sounds painful ,,,it only hurts fro a while:D

The gang want to operate a few poles on the traction layout.
So the work crew are at it(me).
This is the first of 12 to do.

The last shot is of a scratch built box motor ready to earn revenue on the Traction in Action.

(announce1 Built by Dave Lawler)

Attachments

• P6010009.JPG
    P6010009.JPG
    67.8 KB · Views: 148
  • P6010011.JPG
    P6010011.JPG
    61.7 KB · Views: 149
  • P6010008.JPG
    P6010008.JPG
    63.9 KB · Views: 143

emt49

looks good :thumb:

but how dose it work to move the overhead from one line to another i have never see this in person? :)

interurban

emt49 said:
looks good :thumb:

but how dose it work to move the overhead from one line to another i have never see this in person? :)

Hi EMT49.

The overhead is the wire, the pole is diverted to the other wire by the frog , thus.
The pole is pulled to the rail that the interurban is riding on , when you have a switch area we wait for the pole to be pulled off the wire this tells you when the frog will allow the pole to transfer to the other wire.
Snip the wire insert the frog and wire up the siding.

Sounds easy but its fiddly.
This type of frog also allows the Pantograph to glid freely under it.:D

emt49

interurban said:
Hi EMT49.

The overhead is the wire, the pole is diverted to the other wire by the frog , thus.
The pole is pulled to the rail that the interurban is riding on , when you have a switch area we wait for the pole to be pulled off the wire this tells you when the frog will allow the pole to transfer to the other wire.
Snip the wire insert the frog and wire up the siding.

Sounds easy but its fiddly.
This type of frog also allows the Pantograph to glid freely under it.:D

Thanks i was wondering how it worked.

and thats a verry nice layout you got there :thumb:

Pooh Bah
Chris: I think it's a very good idea. I may bring something to the next show, whenever it is. Whose frogs are they?
EMT49: looked at from the underside, the frog is a flat plate with 3 holes in it. The 2 at the wide end are just far enough apart for the trolley shoe to pass by on one wire. There are wings folded down at the side that guide the shoe as the pole pulls it to one side or the other.
Prototype frogs have a bit of track cast in for the shoe to follow.
Shoes for crossings are just weird. For double slips, two normal frogs are used. (Note that trolley double slips are somewhat on the rare side.)

Ralph

Remember...it's for fun!
Chris, frogging does sound "fiddly" and I admire your patience and steady hands! You certainly get terrific looking results!
Ralph

doctorwayne

Man, I wish I hadn't looked at this thread. I've always liked interurbans and the look of overhead and now I'm wishing I had a place to shoehorn in an interchange, or at least a crossing with one. Nice work on those frogs and a nice looking layout, too.

Wayne

interurban

doctorwayne said:
Man, I wish I hadn't looked at this thread. I've always liked interurbans and the look of overhead and now I'm wishing I had a place to shoehorn in an interchange, or at least a crossing with one. Nice work on those frogs and a nice looking layout, too.

Wayne

Thanks Wayne, You know you are going to do it soon.:D
On your Fantastic Layout it would look GREAT!

You are living in THE interurban area of ONTARIO

doctorwayne

interurban said:
You are living in THE interurban area of ONTARIO

I know, that's another thing that makes it so tempting. I've built a couple of structures for a nearby museum, and will probably do more. Their trolley layout represents one of the lines that ran through this area, so I've already been exposed to the "bug".

Wayne