FROG 3/4 Tactical Missile Tracked TEL in 1:35

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fishcarver

The Suspension Builds....

Now the fun begins: torsion bars, road wheels, drive sprockets, tracks, etc.....

Attachments

• tel12.JPG
    tel12.JPG
    81.9 KB · Views: 312

Fishcarver

Getting on track

I decided to get one of the repetitive (boring) tasks out of the way and fabricate the tracks.

In 1:35, it is far too tedious to build these up link by link. So, I took the kit tracks, printed on 110# bristol, and scored them across the links.

Then, I folded them over with a strip of double-sided plastic carpet tape in the middle.

Next step was to punch out all the holes for the drive sprockets, and add cleats and a couple of hundred grousers taken from the rescaled Answer PT-76.

Attachments

• Track 1.JPG
    Track 1.JPG
    82.6 KB · Views: 271

Fishcarver

The result is a quite flexible track, which ought to be "close enough for government work" once it is painted.

I hope that the TP Boyz don't get in the way.(Looks Like Sr. Sgt K is already starting an argument!) Production has been going smoothly until now......

Attachments

• track3.JPG
    track3.JPG
    69.8 KB · Views: 285

Fishcarver

Adding bits to the hull.....

The tracks are done, except for painting. The hull has been primed (this is not the final colour) and we are working on adding numerous detail bits to the hull: hydraulic cylinders, "plumbing", grab irons, rings and brackets.

Attachments

• tel15.JPG
    tel15.JPG
    92.2 KB · Views: 236

Fishcarver

On to the Business End!

Having done enough "damage " in adding bits to the hull, we move on to the launcher assmbly. The ABC model is a little inaccurate, so we have to do some scratchbuilding (what else is new? :) )

Attachments

• tel17.jpg
    tel17.jpg
    74.8 KB · Views: 203

Fishcarver

If the Sarge Screams in the Factory, Does Anybody Care?

Here we see another view of the launcher assembly. Work is going ahead on the transport cradle, which will be operational. The big wooden dowel approximates the diameter of the FROG rocket. Note Sr. Sgt. K, tuning Sergei up (again)........

Meanwhile, the zampolit smokes and jokes with his buddy from Moskva.

(I have left the suspension and tracks off for now, as the model still has to be handled a lot for the next while).

More to come.....

Attachments

• TEL20.JPG
    TEL20.JPG
    83.7 KB · Views: 197

Fishcarver

We have taken some liberties with the ABC kit to authenticize the missile, mainly by separating the body into two parts and joining them as per the prototype. The exhausts from the upper motor are canted outward, so as not to destroy the lower stage.

Attachments

• frog4.JPG
    frog4.JPG
    77.5 KB · Views: 190

Fishcarver

The fins are attached. There are 4 fins on the LUNA-M, not 3 as provided in the kit.

Attachments

• frog6.JPG
    frog6.JPG
    76.4 KB · Views: 187

Fishcarver

The rocket (sans nose cone) on the TEL. The transport cradle is in the open (firing)position.

Attachments

• frog7.JPG
    frog7.JPG
    66 KB · Views: 190

Fishcarver

Here is the cradle shown closed (photo is out of order): Yes, the cradle is still incomplete. I need to add cross-bracing.

Attachments

• frog8.JPG
    frog8.JPG
    90.6 KB · Views: 194

Fishcarver

Still lots more fun to come. Does anybody have any markings for Soviet tactical nuke warheads? ;-)

Pictured below: 9N33 nuke for SCUD B

Attachments

• 9N33 Nuke.jpg
    9N33 Nuke.jpg
    24.2 KB · Views: 267

Fishcarver

Now the fun begins......

Final assembly of the suspension. If I had this to do over again, I would have installed brass rods right across the chassis for the drive sprockets and idler wheels right from the get-go........Live and learn!

Attachments

• TEL25.JPG
    TEL25.JPG
    67.6 KB · Views: 173

Fishcarver

Steve: GLENCOE had one, once upon a time. But I think it's out of production. Besides, this is a heck of a lot more fun than slapping together a plastic kit!!
Jim

Attachments

• Glencoe Frog.jpg
    Glencoe Frog.jpg
    25.8 KB · Views: 169
Status
Not open for further replies.