friends can be jealous

doctorwayne

Sorry to hear about your troubles, Mike, but most of us have been there, one way or another. And I think that that's the point: nobody here is going to make a big deal out of what you may have done wrong, but they'll all be very supportive of your next attempt to do it right. We're all here to answer your questions or offer advice, and I've never gotten the feeling that someone's waiting for anyone else to fall flat on their face. Most of my mistakes are edited out before I post pictures, but it certainly doesn't mean that I don't make mistakes: hey, it's the way we learn stuff. And for those that have nothing positive to say about someone else's modelling, then say nothing.

Wayne

webmaster

There's an old modeling saying, & this applies across the board no matter what your modeling or in what scale. 'If it looks right, it is right'. So if you've built it & you think it looks right, then that's fine for me!

I love the camaraderie on this forum & have no time whatsoever for rivet counters!

N Gauger

1:20.3 Train Addict
who_dat73 said:
To start off with I love the Gauge also great bunch of friends to have:thumb:
But Have you ever spent a week of nights working on your layout got everything set in place put together and running only to have to tear it all down because you made a small miscalculation that sent the whole thing into a derailing heap and then relize you will have to replace almost all your road bed switches foam and rewire the whole thing and the whole time you have a wife that hates you spending money on your RR to begin with so you try to do things as cheap as possable and fights you tooth and nail when you want to just bye a few pieces of track:curse: :cry: :( :mad: wall1 can you tell tonight I am a lil stressed and mad at myself cuz I had to tear my layout apart for a small misjudjment in inches??:eek:ops:
Sorry everybody I had to vent!
Mike
Yes, We did that in N Gauge.... :cry: :cry: That's why I'm into "G" Now! sign1 sign1

N Gauger

Woah!!! This is great!! aussie aussie

I would sincerely like to thank each and every one of you, for all the kind comments, on behalf of the Gauge Staff….. If you still don’t know who we are yet, we’re all listed on the right side of the main page …

The Owner, Peter T Davis, the Moderators and The Administrators (Spitfire & I) work very hard to make The Gauge a continuous, enjoyable hideout on the web, for anyone and everyone to enjoy…

I am placing a link, where all the staff can find their way here - to read your great and much appreciated comments….

Reading things like this, reminds me why I’m doing this... :D :D

~~~Thanks!!!!!

Arizona Heat

Herc Driver said:
I just wanted to add my input to this thread...I've seen other forums on the web and posted a question or two and didn't really get the quality response that I have come to expect from the members of the-gauge, so I rarely go there anymore. I appreciate the fact that a newbie like me can use a track like Bachmann EZ track (for various reasons) and not get absolutely shot down for not being a "real" model railroader (as I have seen posted on other websites). I guess what I'm really saying is the people who frequent this site allow someone with less knowledge to post a picture of their work, ask basic questions, get some terms wrong now and again, and still make them feel welcomed and included. To me, that makes this forum the best and improves the hobby as a whole.
Same with me Herc Driver...When I first joined and asked a lot of questions I was never once given a negative response...it was always ask questions and someone will give response with their thoughts and not say go to another forum...when I post a question or an answer there is absolutely no sour talk...When I post a picture of my ongoing layout it is never "why don't you have roadbed instead of flat table layout" but always encouragement. Because they know I am a newbie and that I am trying to learn...and maybe with my next layout they will see some part of their layouts incorporated into mine and say " you can't use part of my layout ideas" instead they will say "looks good"....That is why I stay with the GAUGE and not other forums...BOY DID THIS QUOTE MAKE ME FEEL GOOD AND ENCOURAGED WITH MY NEW HOBBY:) :) :)

eightyeightfan1

Now I'm AMP'd
"Imitation is the best form of flattery"
I've stayed at this board because of the people here. The Mods are great(Not patting myself on the back...Talking about my compadres)Admin is great.
When someone from another board saw my "Retro Paint"(see E-Mag, April '05 issue) he all but put a propane torch to it and melted it.
Model Railroading is fun...This site keeps it that way.

who_dat73

I apoligize for my ranting last night and want to thank everyone here for all the info that is shared and provided by both the members and the group as a whole the man that started this deserves a pat on the back for starting the best forum on the net period.....
Thanks to all :thumb:

KATY

It be da Gauge, Baby!:thumb:

Seriously, don't recall how I found the Gauge, but I'm here every day learning and seeing what others have done. Most on here seem to realize it's "modeling" and a hobby. Back on topic, no one other than my family has seen my layout, but many took the time to look at a few pics of my layout posted here and gave encouraging feedback. Just a great forum with great folks.

Katy

N Gauger

who_dat73 said:
I apoligize for my ranting last night and want to thank everyone here for all the info that is shared and provided by both the members and the group as a whole the man that started this deserves a pat on the back for starting the best forum on the net period.....
Thanks to all :thumb:
Ranting is no problem here - You're just shooting off steam :) :)

If you or anyone else wants to see who among us laid the foundation for The Gauge... Click the members list sorted by join date and look for anyone, on the first 4 pages, who has posts above 100 and who contributes quality posts and is still visiting The Gauge...

The original owner (Dave Hagan) visits from time to time, but not often... The members make The Gauge what it is - the long time members are what gives her, her backbone... :) :) :) :) The newer members keep this board enjoyable and educational. :D :D :D

Will_annand

I too am relatively new (Jan. 04) I used to visit several forums and Yahoo groups.
Now I am down to 2 regularily (The Gauge and NScale.net).

The rest had a multitude of problems...
Flame wars, little actual content, moderators who set themselves up as little dictators "Don't say anything bad about our forum or we will ban you". ETC.

Only The Gauge and NScale.net seem to be run by "normal people" who realise that without members, their Forum is worthless.

My hat is off to all the Moderators and Members here at The Gauge, you are a great bunch and I am glad I found/befriended you.

Guess I'd better stick my two cents (or more) in here. Although I do not have a currently operating layout, I have one in my head and quite a bit of rolling stock already. I even have some DCC stuff I bought here on The Gauge.
There is something about The Gauge that is different from other forums, not just railroad forums. I'm not sure what causes it, but the camraderie is great, and we're all among friends.
I know, when the day comes that I have questions, I can get them answered here.
Keep up the good work, staff and readers!

chapmon

The first question you ask a nitpicker is "Have you got a layout??" Most of them don't. You sometimes just have to grin and bear it. There are a lot of nice guys out there and they usually speak with their work, and not their mouth. The guys here are friendly and knowledgable and I always remember "it's just a hobby, not a job".

When I was in San Diego in 1992, we had a regional NMRA convention, and I had what I had completed so far in a two far garage open. I was really having fun sharing ideas, and this one fellow was actually taking pictures. Meanwhile another guy showed up and started nitpicking. I held my peace, but to my amazement, the other guy turned around and said that if this fellow couldn't say something nice and polite, then just leave!!! It's really nice to have somebody else stick up for you (btw, the guy left in a huff). I really enjoyed talking with other modelers, and I have found that no matter how much experience I have gained, I am always constantly learning from experienced and even new modelers about things I never would have thought about.

Keep your head up, and just keep having fun, and you have the support of all these wonderful guys here on the guage!!

MKTMIKE:thumb: