Frieght Yard & Tuntable

John P

Hello Everyone
Its' been a while since I posted-busy summer-Honey Do list never seems to get smaller. I'm planning to put a frieght yard and turntable on my layout this fall, I've got 3'x10' to play with. Can anyone point me in the right direction as far as old threads or ideas for layout configuration. I'm open to any ideas. I have cleared out somemore room in the basement next to my layout and I'm just itchin to fill it with track. Hope to submit some photos soon.
Take Care

Trainiac77

John,

I've been holding onto this picture forever and would someday like to build something that resembles this. (I build freelance not prototype)This isn't my layout and I don't remember where it came from.

Hope it's a start anyway. :thumb:

Attachments

• yard.jpg
    yard.jpg
    64.3 KB · Views: 34

Free-mo Tim

Hello Everyone
Its' been a while since I posted-busy summer-Honey Do list never seems to get smaller. I'm planning to put a frieght yard and turntable on my layout this fall, I've got 3'x10' to play with. Can anyone point me in the right direction as far as old threads or ideas for layout configuration. I'm open to any ideas. I have cleared out somemore room in the basement next to my layout and I'm just itchin to fill it with track. Hope to submit some photos soon.
Take Care

John,

Here's a webpage with a freight yard/turntable that might spur some ideas. It's more of a staging yard than typical freight yard (in N scale). <http://ostramo.parostroj.net/oa/vanoce_2006/vanoce_2006.htm>
Don't worry about the text on the site.....a picture's worth 1000 words!

Regards from Ohio

Tim

Not only is is a ridiculous amount of track, I can see problems with it right away. Foremost is the presence of "S" curves, which will cause derailments.

nkp174

It must be a division point judging by the amount of engine facilities. Unfortunately...classification yards is way too small...unless it is primarily a bridge line without much local business/interchange at this point.

Regardless...it is a cool setup. I agree though that S-curves can be bad. I think they're fine for engines alone...but bad for long trains.

I personally prefer to have the major yards simulated with storage and then a smaller yards represented on the layout. For my eventual DSP&P...I'm going to have the smaller Gunnison Yard rather than the large Como Yard for just this reason.

CN_Fan

John,

I've been holding onto this picture forever and would someday like to build something that resembles this. (I build freelance not prototype)This isn't my layout and I don't remember where it came from.

Hope it's a start anyway. :thumb:

Holy Moses!! The guy who built that must be some Uber geek to keep that all in order. :eek:

Kanawha

You know, I was just thinking, those classification tracks are not very long for such a sophisticated yard design.

kutler

You know, I was just thinking, those classification tracks are not very long for such a sophisticated yard design.

I guess it all depends on what kind of space he had to work with.
It's very prototypical for a train to double or even triple out of a yard.

The loop tracks behind the roundhouse seem to serve multi purposes
One could spin a passenger train, or long locomotive, while using the outer loop as a yard lead for switching.

The s-curves could be brutal, but it doesn't appear to be a 86' car era, so 40' boxes might not encounter the same transitional forces.

I think the loops as a yard lead is very innovative.

nkp174

The yards behind Cincinnati Union Terminal had (or has?) a reverse loop. I know that there also is a yards...perhaps in Kentucky on the Southern...which had a reverse loop as well...a part of me wants to say that at least part of it was under the main yard.

bigsteel

Call me Mr.Tinkertrain
The yards behind Cincinnati Union Terminal had (or has?) a reverse loop. I know that there also is a yards...perhaps in Kentucky on the Southern...which had a reverse loop as well...a part of me wants to say that at least part of it was under the main yard.

i think your speaking of russel,KY.it was run by the C&O and is still used by CSX.its the largest yard in the world and you are correct,it has a return loop from engine servicing under the yard to the other side,ill post a pic in a minute.--josh

and on an different subject C&O's clifton forge yard had something like a 10 track span over a small river/creek.im not sure what kind of bridge
but it would be interesting to model...