Friday Snap, Flex, Hand

Discussion in 'The Caboose' started by TomPM, Sep 15, 2006.

1. TomPM

TomPM Another Fried Egg Fan

Good morning folks

No modeling last night. I stood around in the rain at my son’s football practice. Afterwards all I wanted to do was be dry.

Flex track, snap/sectional track, track with plastic roadbed, hand laid track, or something else, what do you use or do you use a combination?

I am currently using Atlas Snap Track on the layout. Since I am constructing in short sections flex track is just not feasible. Also in the era I am modeling track joints were everywhere. There was only a little bit of continuous rail around. In a lot of ways the snap track or sectional track in more prototypical. I do have quite a bit of Bachmann EZ-Track. Some of that is currently being used on areas of the layout where I am not working. That way I can run trains and the track is at the same elevations as the snap track with a foam road bed. I am currently using Atlas Snap Track turnouts. This is one area where I may venture into something else at a latter date.
  2. eightyeightfan1

eightyeightfan1 Now I'm AMP'd

A mixture of both snap and flex track. Mostly snap on the straights, and flex in the curves because with my long modern equipment, I needed at least a 30" radius.
  3. MilesWestern

MilesWestern Active Member

eightyeightfan1, have we seen any of your layout? I'd really love to see it, even if it's not done!

I used only EZ track for my initial trackplan, a BIG mistake considering all the scenery I had to do!

I'm using snap track for the yard lead, and flextrack for the yard tracks.
  4. Catt

Catt Guest

Between the TTRAK,2TRAK, and two home layouts I am using about every kind of track there is.Once I get started on the new HO layout (above layouts are all N scale) I will be hand laying using the old code 80 rail from the former NTRAK layout
  5. N Gauger

N Gauger 1:20.3 Train Addict

Plain old Aristo G gauge track on the big layout.... Atlas Flex on the Ho stuff....
  6. ezdays

ezdays Out AZ way

Atlas flex track on most everything. I do have some sectional curves and straight track that I've picked up along the way that I've tried to use up, but I'm good to go with flex track.

I think that anyone that hand lays N scale track should get a commendation for patience, fortitude and great hand-eye coordination.:D
  7. MasonJar

MasonJar It's not rocket surgery

Atlas Code 83 flex, with Walthers/Shinohara #8, #6 and #4 turnouts.

The only handlaid track I have planned is for the speeder shed...! ;) :D

Andrew
  8. Thoroughbreed

Thoroughbreed Member

I'm using flex, don't have much right now, as no layout, but continuing to pick up pieces. Did get some atlas 22 radius to complete a circle, to see what of my stock will take it, found out my riverossi's with body mount kadess won't, 53' wells don't like em, won't even try the autoracks....:oops:
    And to have the patience to hand lay, I envy you:D
  9. TruckLover

TruckLover Mack CH613 & 53' Trailer

I am using mostly Atlas Code 83 Flextrack and some Atlas snaptrack.
  10. santafewillie

santafewillie Member

Nearly everything. I use mostly Atlas flextrack and Custom Line turnouts, but have some sectional track and Snap Track switches. No plastic roadbed however, I use traditional cork. I even use some old brass flextrack on sidings and storage tracks, only where electrical conductivity is not important.
  11. steamhead

steamhead Active Member

Hey!!

Atlas flex track for me...!!! Peco medium & large turnouts. All PL'd to cork roadbed, with the exception of the yard areas where it goes directly on plywood...A bit noisy, as I found out.

Gus (LC&P).
  12. eightyeightfan1

eightyeightfan1 Now I'm AMP'd

You can see some of it(in the background) of the "Freight Car of the Week" and "Loco Of The Week" threads.
  13. 60103

60103 Pooh Bah

I use flex track - mostly Peco, largely code 100 but shifting to code 70 (75?) for new work. With a bit of SMP/ C&L bullhead mixed in.
    I have done hand built track, but it's too much of a chore with the varying British wheel standards.
    My wife's layout uses Fastrack.