Friday Snap, Flex, Hand

TomPM

Another Fried Egg Fan
Oct 15, 2002
Drexel Hill, PA
www.trainweb.org
Good morning folks

No modeling last night. I stood around in the rain at my son’s football practice. Afterwards all I wanted to do was be dry.

Flex track, snap/sectional track, track with plastic roadbed, hand laid track, or something else, what do you use or do you use a combination?

I am currently using Atlas Snap Track on the layout. Since I am constructing in short sections flex track is just not feasible. Also in the era I am modeling track joints were everywhere. There was only a little bit of continuous rail around. In a lot of ways the snap track or sectional track in more prototypical. I do have quite a bit of Bachmann EZ-Track. Some of that is currently being used on areas of the layout where I am not working. That way I can run trains and the track is at the same elevations as the snap track with a foam road bed. I am currently using Atlas Snap Track turnouts. This is one area where I may venture into something else at a latter date.

MilesWestern

Sep 20, 2005
CA
protopaintwest.googlepages.com
eightyeightfan1, have we seen any of your layout? I'd really love to see it, even if it's not done!

I used only EZ track for my initial trackplan, a BIG mistake considering all the scenery I had to do!

I'm using snap track for the yard lead, and flextrack for the yard tracks.

C

Catt

Between the TTRAK,2TRAK, and two home layouts I am using about every kind of track there is.Once I get started on the new HO layout (above layouts are all N scale) I will be hand laying using the old code 80 rail from the former NTRAK layout

ezdays

Out AZ way
Feb 3, 2003
Arizona
bigbluetrains.com
Atlas flex track on most everything. I do have some sectional curves and straight track that I've picked up along the way that I've tried to use up, but I'm good to go with flex track.

I think that anyone that hand lays N scale track should get a commendation for patience, fortitude and great hand-eye coordination.:D

Thoroughbreed

Aug 4, 2006
South Eastern AL
I'm using flex, don't have much right now, as no layout, but continuing to pick up pieces. Did get some atlas 22 radius to complete a circle, to see what of my stock will take it, found out my riverossi's with body mount kadess won't, 53' wells don't like em, won't even try the autoracks....:eek:ops:
And to have the patience to hand lay, I envy you:D

santafewillie

Aug 4, 2002
era tx
Visit site
Nearly everything. I use mostly Atlas flextrack and Custom Line turnouts, but have some sectional track and Snap Track switches. No plastic roadbed however, I use traditional cork. I even use some old brass flextrack on sidings and storage tracks, only where electrical conductivity is not important.

steamhead

Apr 16, 2005
Brownsville, TX
Hey!!

Atlas flex track for me...!!! Peco medium & large turnouts. All PL'd to cork roadbed, with the exception of the yard areas where it goes directly on plywood...A bit noisy, as I found out.

Gus (LC&P).

Pooh Bah
Mar 25, 2002
Brampton, Ontario, Canada
Visit site
I use flex track - mostly Peco, largely code 100 but shifting to code 70 (75?) for new work. With a bit of SMP/ C&L bullhead mixed in.
I have done hand built track, but it's too much of a chore with the varying British wheel standards.
My wife's layout uses Fastrack.