Friday Oct 20 Fallen Flags

kitsune

I'm with Brian on the Milwaukee, for slightly different reasons. To me, reviving a comapny whose structure pretty much exists today is pointless, since modern economics would never allow them to survive. But a company that was physically removed from the map in many cases qualifies for potential revival.

So my vote goes to the pre-PXT abandonment Milwaukee. They nearly made it past the bad times of the 70s, and if they'd been managed better, would have been more sucessful.

nkp174

The Denver, South Park, and Pacific Railroad. Specifically, I want their mainline through Alpine Tunnel...perhaps the most scenic railroad in all of the continental US...don't want to speak for all the Canadians on the gauge by saying north america ;-) Not only was it's scenario unbelievable...but it had hairpin turns, steep grades, stub switches, and incredible paint schemes.

Tileguy

I'd have to say one of 2
Either the last to fall................(at least in my area)..........DM&IR..........While I still get to see some painted DM&IR units they are slowly slipping away and will be gone before we know it............It was a Sad day when the CN bought her :(

Great Northern....................She just DEFINES Cuthroat Ruthless Railroading at the peak of railroading................And while the NP was given all of its land for a right of way..........THE GN Purchased its right of way.............All the way to the ocean..........No GIMME's from the Government........James J. Hill was a GIANT who would have had the NP in the 20's if he hadnt been stopped by the FEDS :D

steamhead

If we can do that magic, we can also do a little time travel...the N&W, just to see those Y6's pounding the rails with an endless coal drag behind them ...Sigh...:cry:

nkp174

There's still a pair of Ys left...Union Illinois and St. Louis. I believe the Illinois Railroad Museum's is a Y3 and the St. Louis one is a Y6a...but that's off the top of my head. There were a pair of Y6bs that survived until 1988 when the No Service ticket off the scrapyard owner.

steamhead said:
If we can do that magic, we can also do a little time travel...the N&W, just to see those Y6's pounding the rails with an endless coal drag behind them ...Sigh...:cry: