freight sacks

N

nachoman

somewhere, I saw a thread or online article about making freight sacks (look like bags of concrete) Now I cant find it... Anyone know where I saw this?

kevin

MasonJar

It's not rocket surgery
Oct 31, 2002
Ottawa, Canada
Visit site
N

nachoman

thanks,

but I seem to recall someone making some out of some kind of tubing, like soda straws or wire insulation...

the clay idea sounds interesting. I know they sell them commercially, but I am potentially looking for things to make while bored in a hotel room over then next few weeks.

kevin

CalFlash

Oct 31, 2004
central Florida
I would buy the commercial ones from Tichy/CMA or someone and spend the time doing pallets which would probably also be seen in the same scenes. I spent quite a bit of time distressing and beating up some of my pallets for interest and variety.

doctorwayne

Sep 6, 2005
Canada, eh?
CalFlash, I picked up a package of pallets/skids from the used table of the lhs. They're made by A M Models, although I don't know if they're still in business. Each one is in two pieces, very finely cast in a wood-coloured styrene. No flash, easy to assemble, and according to the small instruction sheet included, 12 for a buck or 3 dozen for $2.50.

Wayne

Wabash Banks

Mar 11, 2005
Indiana
I can't remember where, but I recall someone using copper tubing to make freight sacks. They mashed the ends to seal it shut.

doctorwayne

Sep 6, 2005
Canada, eh?
I recall reading about making sacks from modelling clay, as Andrew suggested. I don't know where the article is, but it was pretty simple. Take a lump of clay, roll it out into a "snake" about the same diameter as the size of the bags you want, then clip off individual bags using diagonal cutters. This gives the effect of the closed ends. If you want a stack of bags laying on their sides, flatten the rounded part out a bit with your fingers. If you need bags standing upright, flatten out one of the crimped ends, either manually or with an X-acto knife. If I recall correctly, the article mentionned baking the bags to harden the clay, then paint them to suit.

Wayne