Freight car of the week pt2

eightyeightfan1

Now I'm AMP'd
Jun 18, 2002
Torrington, Ct.
Thanks Gary.
Here is my very first attempt at printing my own decals. This car is on my roster.
Whata ya think...Should of sold this one...and kept one of the others?
Oh...By the way. All three cars are Walthers Ready To Run. They came with all the data, alls I did was scan the logo, print it out on decal paper, and BAM!.....Instant $25.00.

Attachments

• ppcar3.jpg
    ppcar3.jpg
    61.6 KB · Views: 84

TruckLover

Mack CH613 & 53' Trailer
Apr 14, 2006
Rancho Santa Margarita, Cali.
Here's a CSX Airslide Covered Hopper, I think that I need to lighten the wheathering a little though, this was one of my first wheathering jobs.:eek:ops: Ill post another later of the lightend version.

Attachments

• CSX2.jpg
    CSX2.jpg
    65.2 KB · Views: 75

brakie

Nov 8, 2001
Bucyrus,Ohio
Visit site
Here we go!
Picture-001-1.jpg

Jun 18, 2004
barboursville, wv
Well, heres mine. Not much to look at, and no fancy backdrop to show it off in front of, but i guess it qualifies as a covered hopper. Hopefully before too long ill have a finished portion of layout to pose cars in front of.:eek:ops:

Attachments

• acfx centerflow.jpg
    acfx centerflow.jpg
    59.8 KB · Views: 95

doctorwayne

Sep 6, 2005
Canada, eh?
Here's a covered hopper that a hobby shop owner gave to me. It's a Tyco, and if I recall correctly, it was lettered for "Old Dutch Cleanser". It had been sitting in the window of the shop and had become badly distorted from the heat of the sun. It is, or was, an ACF Centerflow, similar to trainsteve2453's model. I thought that the hatch covers might be useful for something, but when I later bought a Bachmann Santa Fe Northern via mail order, and saw how long that tender really was, I new use came to mind. I cut a good size piece out of the tender's length, then opened up the oil bunker and also removed some material from the lower sides of the tender body. Then, using part of the undistorted roof of the hopper, I fashioned a new bottom for the tender, converting it into a centipede model. The actual centipede frame was cut out of sheet styrene, then glued over the two original trucks of the tender, which I had already cut apart and rejoined together, after first filing away all extraneous detail except for the journal boxes. New springs and spring hangers were built up from brass wire and bits cut from Kadee plastic draft gear boxes. The front tender truck is from an Athearn streamlined passenger car.
Since this thread is for covered hoppers, please ignore all the other bits that aren't covered hoppers, as I don't have a picture showing only the lower half of the tender. :)

100_5555.jpg

Wayne