Freight car of the week pt. 7

chessie4155

This week lets see your pics of the dump truck of the Industry, the Gondola.
Here's a MOW wheel gon I did. still need to add the lettering :: wheel loading only

Attachments

• 1.JPG
    1.JPG
    49.4 KB · Views: 144

shaygetz

A well used Lionel issue betwixt a modified Tyco and an Athearn.

Attachments

• gon.jpg
    gon.jpg
    63.9 KB · Views: 142

AndyWS

These pictures show my recently aquired Railgon and Monon gondolas.

09-02-06_New_Aquisitions_1.jpg

09-02-06_New_Aquisitions_2.jpg

I also have a Chicago & Eastern Illinois covered gondola and a very old-style (late 19th or early 20th century) Louisville & Nashville one. No pictures of those though.

doctorwayne

Here's an Intermountain Southern Pacific GS gondola, with drop doors. I picked up three of these at a LHS for a good price, as they were undec kits. The sides and floor are laser cut wood, while the ends and bracing are styrene. I lettered them for my own Elora Gorge & Eastern.

100_5903.jpg

100_5524.jpg

Wayne

TruckLover

Mack CH613 & 53' Trailer
Gosh Wayne, I see a new part of your layout everytime you postsign1 sign1

Nice Gondolas and those are cool bunkers!!:thumb: :thumb:

doctorwayne

Nice kitbash, Tom, I would never have guessed that you started with a gondola.:D Seriously though, MoW gondolas are okay, as are revenue gondolas, but I think the crane, as nice as it is, isn't really a gondola.:)

Wayne

shaygetz

Wayne, I really do appreciate the work all that represents. It truly is a marvel to look at and I wish I could see it in person.

TomPM

Another Fried Egg Fan
This is what happens after you spend a weekend running around and several hours freezing your butt off and getting rained on at a football game. All I saw was MOW and didn't see gondolas.wall1 wall1 . Maybe if I had some more sleep I would get this right some day.:D :D I guess eight hours since Friday is not enough. There are times where I go to work to rest.

BTW, here is the photo that should have been here::D :D
afr.jpg

doctorwayne

Josh, I haven't posted any new photos since I got my new camera, back in April, as my computer won't download pictures from it. A new computer coming soon, I hope: 'til then, I'm fakin' it.
Tom, that's more like I was expecting, and we get to see the station, too.
Bob, thanks for the kind words. Where did you get that chassis that's riding in your gondola? It looks like it's got better detail than some of the vehicles that are driving around on my layout's roads.:eek:ops:
Andy, that C&O covered hopper in your second photo is very similar to one that I received as part of my first HO scale train, about 50 years ago. I still have, and use, it, although it's now a regular open hopper.
Chessie 4155, nice gondola. Is that an Athearn car? Did it come lettered for MoW service or is that a custom lettering job? Also, while I recognize the lumber shed in the background, who makes that brick structure?

Wayne

doctorwayne

Here's a bulkhead gondola, similar to some used by the Algoma Central. I started with an Athearn 40' pulpwood car, which is not very much like the pulpwood racks that were seen around here. I filed and sanded all of the rivet and stake pocket detail off the sides, and removed the raised detail on the deck, then cut the car in two and added a new section of styrene flooring, making a 50' car. New sides were fabricated from .010" or .015" sheet styrene, and new strip styrene sidestakes were added. As with all of my flatcars and gondolas, extra weight was added beneath the floor, allowing these cars to be run as empties at the head of a long train, a practice that appears to have been quite common, at least around here. Paint is Floquil, with custom dry transfers from C-D-S.

100_5401.jpg

Wayne

chessie4155

Great pics everyone:thumb: .. announce1 keep em coming!!
DoctorWayne, the car is a stock Athearn, custom painted and decaled by me.
That building in the background is 2 sections of the Life Like Hotel.
Very nice bulkhead gon.:thumb:
Here's an Athearn coil steel gon. The jury is still out as to if these cars were suppose to be blue or black. No matter, I still like these cars.:)

Attachments

• 2.JPG
    2.JPG
    48.6 KB · Views: 97
doctorwayne and TomPM.... great modeling!!

Here's my contribution. It's an Athrean kit, It never rolled right so I took off the good wheels and couplers and leave it on "scenery" track. I made the little dent with a candle flame. The load is HO pipes I got at a swap meet for 2 bucks.

Gon​

aks.sized.jpg

akr.sized.jpg

doctorwayne

Here's a work service gondola, the former 4520, downgraded and renumbered into the 100-series MoW cars. The car is an Athearn 40' flatcar, with scratchbuilt styrene sides and ends.

100_5546.jpg

Wayne