Freight Car of the Week Part III

TomPM

Another Fried Egg Fan
Here is a more modern one for me.

add.jpg

Bachmann Silver Series

doctorwayne

Here's a seldom-seen (for obvious reasons :rolleyes: ) view of Hoffentoth Bros.' ice house in the city of Dunnville. At the icing dock, from left to right, is CNR 207040, an upgraded Tyco: new trucks, metal grabs and steps, some underbody detail, and new paint and C-D-S lettering. The next car, CNR 209506 is the eight-hatch overhead ice-bunker car shown earlier, followed by CPR 284517, an Accurail car shown previously at Finlay Fresh Fish, in Port Maitland.

100_5753.jpg

Wayne

TomPM

Another Fried Egg Fan
Here is one I got off of EBay and I had to spruce it up with new wheels, new couplers, paint the base, and weathering.

abe.jpg

doctorwayne

Here's a PRR/REA express reefer. These cars ran all over North America, and, since I liked the looks of the car, I took a chance and bought my first rtr car. These cars are from Walthers, and I'm pleased to say that the car was definitely not ready-to-run :thumb: . Not only did the car require metal steps, but the roofwalk/hatch area was incorrect and needed reworking. In addition to that, the brake gear on the car was only a rudimentary representation, so I was forced to remove it and redo it with more detail. To top it all off, the car number was incorrect for the era, so another ammendment was in order.:rolleyes: It's too bad some of these so-called rtr cars are so expensive, as they seemingly offer quite a bit of modelling activity.

100_5621.jpg

Wayne

doctorwayne

This CNR express reefer is also from Athearn. The roof hatches were reworked to reflect prototype practice, and a complete UC brake system added. The usual metal steps and grabirons, along with C-D-S lettering on SMP Accupaint.

100_5610.jpg

Wayne

doctorwayne

Grand Valley 2045 is from the used table at the LHS. I don't recall what the original paint scheme was. She got new steps and grabirons, new brake rigging and a pair of Athearn high speed trucks. The paint is CNR Green #11, from Accupaint, with C-D-S lettering.

100_5623.jpg

Wayne